KTMrad

Think We Should Approve This New Member ?

Pleae VOTE in the New Poll / Post about the approval process.

$.02 - Nice to know who we're liable to be riding with.

So now my question is, should we keep track of people trying to join SDAR, or should we make it automatic approval via computer. The spammers will be blocked due to forum software security.

Off to vote in the poll, but my feeling is to keep it like it is - manual approval. I'm also a member of another, much larger private board that has similar issues. We've been doing it manually for over fifteen years now and it helps quite a bit, keeps the board focused.

But what is the critera for aprovel? If you don,t know them?

But what is the critera for aprovel? If you don,t know them?

There is no real "criteria" for approval.

We are asking for a name, where they live (approximate area) and what bike they ride.

Part of what we are doing is to make sure some Environmental Fanatic is not trying to join our site (besides a couple other things, I'll mention in the MO Forums.)

I don't see anything wrong with having to wait a few days for approval. Anyone can still read the site just can't respond.

Thats the impression I was under..

being one of the new guys on the block, I have developed some really good relationships and riding partners from joining SDAR - and would consider myself a PROUD MEMBER

sometimes I ask myself, why didn't I join sooner....?

It just seems rare in this day in age to find a group of people (like SDAR) that have real valuable input & experiences and generate an honest open arm welcome to new members

we unfortunately live in a "high tech" world that seems to require instant approval for anything we do, as most of you will read this from some electronic device in your pocket or purse 30 seconds after I press "add reply"

what ever happened to -------

patience is a virtue & all good things come to those who wait

thats how I was brought up

- my vote is in, and obviously this is just my .02

PS:

The phrase "patience is a virtue" is just a way of expressing the importance of being patient.

A virtue is a trait or quality deemed to be morally excellent and thus is valued as a foundation of principle and good moral being.

Patience can make us better people. The definition of the word is to tolerate delay implying self control and forbearance.

When we say "patience is a virtue" we are exposing our moral values and expressing the importance of patience as a foundation of principle.

So to answer the question patience is not a virtue until it truly becomes a virtue and knowing how diverse the spectrum of individualism is I'm sure patience is a vice(opposite of virtue) to some. Patience is a necessity for a happy existence and that is why the phrase is so often used.

There is no real "criteria" for approval.

We are asking for a name, where they live (approximate area) and what bike they ride.

I think this is an important step (other than filtering of members inappropriate to our goals). It signals the possible member right upfront that this is an organization who, for the most part, value each other's contributions. An auto-response sends the message that anyone can come in at anytime and say anything they want. And nobody cares.

Want to go a step further? The person who verifies the new member could easily have some standard copy/paste text with which the new member is introduced to the group. Instead of approving them and ignoring them, take an extra second to post to the new members board. The new member will not only feel welcomed, but encouraged to post, and the message is again sent that we care about who's here.

Just like a party when someone new arrives that does not know anyone.

Don't want to light candles and sing Kumbaya like a pastor in the evenings ; ) but it's a thought.

I think this is an important step (other than filtering of members inappropriate to our goals). It signals the possible member right upfront that this is an organization who, for the most part, value each other's contributions. An auto-response sends the message that anyone can come in at anytime and say anything they want. And nobody cares.

Want to go a step further? The person who verifies the new member could easily have some standard copy/paste text with which the new member is introduced to the group. Instead of approving them and ignoring them, take an extra second to post to the new members board. The new member will not only feel welcomed, but encouraged to post, and the message is again sent that we care about who's here.

I elaborated on this in the MO Forums...so far, hardly anyone has read it.

Yes, I read that.

i say keep it manual approval cause it also keeps trolls out(trolls are usually to lazy to make multiple accounts on a forum when the approval is so involved*i used to troll a lot on glocktalk and arfcom*)

ill go vote

I think I need the password for the Members section. Bruce and I joined last year, I assume by paying the dues, but never got a password.....

I say no. I do not want his attitude on the site.

This was from a new guy trying to register and get approved......I gave him a piece of my mind in response to this.......

"We came over from ADVrider (several probably) because Xcountry rider got banned, and we are doing a ride with him.

I logged on and registered two f'ing days ago. I have a whole garage full of bikes and I'm 54 years old and you need me more on your site than I need your site.

Either open up the f'ing thing or forget it."

Wow!! Hope that was some bad humor.

Whats your take on this X country rider?? Do you know him. You seem like a stand up guy and going thru the hassles of putting on a good ride in 2 weeks.

I don't know him i assuming he signed up for next weekends ride? Whats his screen name?? I'm for the double secret probation idea.

I think I need the password for the Members section. Bruce and I joined last year, I assume by paying the dues, but never got a password.....

If people who sign up don't get passwords, you're supposed to remind me about it. Hard to keep track of everything sometimes.

Thanks for the reminder, Diva. PM sent.

PM me the password too please!

And ban this other fool. Who cares if he is 54 and has a garage full of bikes...I say BRAAAAPPPP to him!

Ooopssss...I just realized this is a year old...Please don't ban The Oracle for being a knucklehead :blush:

I still need a password though ;)

I don't know about this Oracle guy, just kidding, you know I don't remember that post- I wonder if he ever joined -maybe he tried again.

I have a whole garage full of bikes too, it's a really small garage though, OK more of a shed.

With all due respect, Im a n00b.

BUT even I read this.....

"If you are a person trying to join the site for dualsport access and info, then Welcome !! Please be patient as this approval may take a few days if we are busy or out of town."

This is a great web page ran by a few people, not a conglomerate. He sounds kind of like an ass. He sounds disrespectful. It is only my opinion, but that is not someone who I would associate with. But maybe he had a bad day and was drinking some beer at the time of message. :blink:/>

Randy I think you have done a great job with this web site and the Desert dash! See you there!!!

Im VERY proud to be apart of this forum and I am VERY excited to make new dualsport friends! Please keep registration the way it is. I feel very welcome here because of it. It makes it more personal and more welcoming.