Leoffensive

susuki DR200SE?

Decent first bike....but in my opinion, too small, no power....depending on your size and age.

Anyone would outgrow that real quick. Just my opinion.

BUT, wouldn't want to discourage you from getting one. It IS a good first bike to learn on, if you've never ridden.

I'm sure others will jump in with opinions.

DR200 is good as any, medium size, trail, dual sport bike. A good match would be a small sized person to match the small sized bike. Great to start. Another choice is the Yamaha XT225 or XT250, or Honda 230, or Kawasaki 250S. Think about matching your body size to the bike size.

I think it is an ok choice... as long as you accept that it is a "temporary" bike

It will not last you forever... as far as power goes, you normally ride a mountain bike... it EASILY has that much power :heh:

like I said before... if it is in good shape, for a good price, that is a good step... ride it for a year, sell it for little to no loss, then pick your next bike

a logical progression will go like this... DR200 to either a 400 if you love the dirt OR a 650 if you love the street...

after that, a lot of people refine even further... if you REALLY love the dirt, you go WR450, Husky TE, KTM series, or if you REALLY love the street, you go GS or KTMadv... some people revert back to a 250 dual sport, but that's just crazy talk

one thing about the DR200... you WILL NOT want to ride the freeway to local riding areas... twowheels had one, and he would ride 94 from Eastlake to Jacumba just to stay off the interstate!!!! INSANE

haha thanks for the input guys. i went to motoworld in el cajon to check it out. pretty clean and was right next to a yamaha xt225 for the same price (2497 i think). im a shorter guy at like 5'10" but larger at 220 pounds and both those bikes made me feel like a tall man who would bog them down.

I'm keeping the DRZ400 as the bike i want and comparing others to atm but when i was there i did see a brand new WR250r and holy cow is that bike real nice.... haha very tempting to hit up a family member to cosign so i can get that amazing machine.

im still trying to sell my buggy had a couple of scam emails that made me lol and one phone call that was a no show :(

i have the bug so bad. every time i see a motorcycle but more specifically a dirt bike or DS bike its like im being tortured out of spite of someone i pissed of hahaha.

on a brighter note i bought my helmet today for less than 100 bucks. went to this place in kearny mesa and its basically a close out type of place like chainlove is for mountain bike gear. i plan on going back there after i get paid so i can buy these nice alpinestars boots and pants and jersey are next. the question is that jersey with armor or that skull suit shirt thing with the armor built into it.

i dunno but its exciting times. i need to sell that damned buggy already haha

Not that my 2 cents will buy you anything but here it is:

At 5'10 220 you will dwarf the DR200. There is little to no aftermarket support for the DR200. The XT225 and CRF230L would be better choices. But still, you'll end up spending money on better tires, you'll break levers, you'll do an oil change, maybe add hand guards and most importantly you'll drop the thing. You'll end up putting money into your "beginner" bike. If you buy new you will lose money on resale. If you buy used you will end up putting some money into the bike to make it ride worthy.

Why not start with the DR650? You'll be able to touch the ground flat with a boot (more than I can say) which will help with your confidence. Sure its on the hefty side but you'll be able to take the money you would have spent fixing up a smaller bike and put that to configuring your "actual" bike as you want it to be. My friend bboyle9 got a DR650 as his first and only motorcycle. I had him ride a little kid's 125 four stroke twice cause he had never ridden before and had never used a clutch. Sure he has crashed on the DR650 but I estimate at 85% that he still would have crashed a DR200 in the same spot. Guys ride the DR650 around the world and back. We got his in spring with 9,9xx miles for $2000. He has almost 15,000 now and isn't fazed about the mileage in the least. Its a 99 and its the same exact bike as what is sold today (diff colors). My neighbor has one with 35k miles which he lived and camping off for 5 weeks in Alaska. He has no reservations on its ability and reliability.

You don't need to rush into any purchase, IMHO you want your choice to be rewarding. The DR650 is not perfect, you'll need to de-smog it, put dirt tires on it, get a skid plate and case guards and put heavier springs in it. I feel that its better to invest your money into a bike that you'll end up keeping. You can ride the DR on the freeway to the trailhead, ride the trail and ride home. You're a mountain biker, you want to go out and have fun. The DR200 will be like buying the 20" Walmart bike when you can buy the 27" Walmart bike DR650! I say that cause they are simple tech but that is why people like them.

Borrow, beg or rent a small bike for a weekend and never go back. Many people say its the most balanced 50% road 50% dirt bike out there. Now if you want something more like a dirtbike with a license plate than the DR isn't it.

Again, only my 2 cents and that doesn't buy you anything these days.

When I first got into dualsporting I had a really nice buggy on a trailer that I couldnt sell to anybody. I finally posted it on craigslist for trade for a street legal dirtbike and within a week I had a dude want to trade me for a clean well maintained 96 klx650. I loved the power but not the weight so I traded it for my sons kdx220 that is street legal that he has a blast on. Moral of the story: Try posting it for trade. Worked for me. I ended up upgrading to my 2010 exc530 and other than the big monthly payment I love it. Post a link to the buggy listing with a pic. A lot of us go to the desert and have friends and family that are two wheel challenged. Ya never know. BTW I am 5'10 and 260 and have a crf230 and have had a street legal yamaha ttr225 that was a cool trail bike but both were WAY too small.

2000 Yamaha TTR 225 Plated. Traded for RMX250 Then sold to a good friend for minimum $$$

post-13344-059671300 1327645532_thumb.jp

When I first got into dualsporting I had a really nice buggy on a trailer that I couldnt sell to anybody. I finally posted it on craigslist for trade for a street legal dirtbike and within a week I had a dude want to trade me for a clean well maintained 96 klx650. I loved the power but not the weight so I traded it for my sons kdx220 that is street legal that he has a blast on. Moral of the story: Try posting it for trade. Worked for me. I ended up upgrading to my 2010 exc530 and other than the big monthly payment I love it. Post a link to the buggy listing with a pic. A lot of us go to the desert and have friends and family that are two wheel challenged. Ya never know. BTW I am 5'10 and 260 and have a crf230 and have had a street legal yamaha ttr225 that was a cool trail bike but both were WAY too small.

2000 Yamaha TTR 225 Plated. Traded for RMX250 Then sold to a good friend for minimum $$$

id post it for trade but im splitting the money with my dad as its still kinda technically his car but all the money(the motor and transmission AKA the stuff that holds value in it) was put in by me.

id post it for trade but im splitting the money with my dad as its still kinda technically his car but all the money(the motor and transmission AKA the stuff that holds value in it) was put in by me.

ill post a link to the CL on classifieds later when i get home from work

Deb had a real nice KDX 220 for sale. Not sure if she still has it but it would be a great 1st dual sport bike.

CiD

Deb had a real nice KDX 220 for sale. Not sure if she still has it but it would be a great 1st dual sport bike.

CiD

oh yeah... that is light years ahead of the DR200 for dirt biking

CiD

oh yeah... that is light years ahead of the DR200 for dirt biking

Deb's bike has been sold for a while now.

The DR200 is like a trail bike for people who's primary concern isn't trail riding. Like for the guy who wants to get back into the river area for panning for gold or trout fishing. It's sort of like the CT90 of the 21st century. :lol:

Not that my 2 cents will buy you anything but here it is:

At 5'10 220 you will dwarf the DR200. There is little to no aftermarket support for the DR200. The XT225 and CRF230L would be better choices. But still, you'll end up spending money on better tires, you'll break levers, you'll do an oil change, maybe add hand guards and most importantly you'll drop the thing. You'll end up putting money into your "beginner" bike. If you buy new you will lose money on resale. If you buy used you will end up putting some money into the bike to make it ride worthy.

Why not start with the DR650? You'll be able to touch the ground flat with a boot (more than I can say) which will help with your confidence. Sure its on the hefty side but you'll be able to take the money you would have spent fixing up a smaller bike and put that to configuring your "actual" bike as you want it to be. My friend bboyle9 got a DR650 as his first and only motorcycle. I had him ride a little kid's 125 four stroke twice cause he had never ridden before and had never used a clutch. Sure he has crashed on the DR650 but I estimate at 85% that he still would have crashed a DR200 in the same spot. Guys ride the DR650 around the world and back. We got his in spring with 9,9xx miles for $2000. He has almost 15,000 now and isn't fazed about the mileage in the least. Its a 99 and its the same exact bike as what is sold today (diff colors). My neighbor has one with 35k miles which he lived and camping off for 5 weeks in Alaska. He has no reservations on its ability and reliability.

You don't need to rush into any purchase, IMHO you want your choice to be rewarding. The DR650 is not perfect, you'll need to de-smog it, put dirt tires on it, get a skid plate and case guards and put heavier springs in it. I feel that its better to invest your money into a bike that you'll end up keeping. You can ride the DR on the freeway to the trailhead, ride the trail and ride home. You're a mountain biker, you want to go out and have fun. The DR200 will be like buying the 20" Walmart bike when you can buy the 27" Walmart bike DR650! I say that cause they are simple tech but that is why people like them.

Borrow, beg or rent a small bike for a weekend and never go back. Many people say its the most balanced 50% road 50% dirt bike out there. Now if you want something more like a dirtbike with a license plate than the DR isn't it.

Again, only my 2 cents and that doesn't buy you anything these days.

wow i missed your reply. thanks for that cause it was a good one. im still considering tr dr650. i am keeping my options open. i cant really jump on a bike(especially a used one) til i sell my buggy. i am constantly lurking craigslist. yesterday my girlfriend drove over to motoworld of el cajon where i looked at the DR200 and realized it looked far to small for me. but i also saw the new wr250 and got wood from how cool that bike was. then she took me to FBC to look at the klx250(another bike i like a lot). the guy that came up to talk to me was like hell bent on getting me on a bike he said "what will it take to get you on this bike and outta here tonight?" and i replied with "I can haz FREE?" and he laughed and said "really" and then i replied with "money, a license, a helmet, boots, and some gear" then i explained i was trying to sell my buggy and cant actually jump into any buggy until i do that.

i wish i wasnt splitting the money with my dad so i could have more money for a bike. haha

but yea im always lurkin away on CL. ive been getting pm's from xr650l bum with links to some bikes that catch my fancy which i enjoy a lot. I'm am like a sponge right now so im trying to soak up as much info from everyone as i can. i bought a "proficient motorcycling" book from barnes and noble last night so i can read about street riding in the mean time and like ive said countless times i plan on taking the MSF courses after i get my permit.

ive tried pming carguy but it said i couldnt send him a pm so im assumming his inbox is full or something.

btw i really have my eye on this bike but its more than what id like to pay for a used bike since i cant do payments haha

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/2811468795.html

I agree on getting a bigger bike, even if it is your first one. Many years ago (1982 to be exact) I was going to buy an XR250 (IIRC) and my brother and buddy talked me into the XR500 (we bought three bikes that day; that was fun!). I was afraid it would be too much bike for me, but it wasn't long before I was trying to find ways to get more power out of it.

I'm on an XR650L now, and love it. Good power and reliable (heavy, but I'm used to it cuz I've always had XR's). I'm about your height and 182 lbs, and it is no problem.

Good luck with your search!!

Yup. From what I've seen, read, etc.....good in stock form and fully expandable to fit whatever mission you point it at.

I love my DR650 for what it is but in all honesty, if I knew I'd be heading down the DS path/road years ago when I got back into bikes.....I wouid've been on a DRZ.

I do still miss the land missile WR450.

That ramona $4200 drz has been on craigslist for many months. Its totally dialed in but quite pricey. For reference purposes, I got my 2000 plated E with stabilizer for $2200. The old man down my street got his plated E for $2000. If you are patient (hard to do when you are itching for a first bike) you can score deals.

The drz has served myself and many riders well. The DR650 is more street worthy. Depending how and what you want to ride, both the DR and the DRZ have huge aftermarkets and can be configured to fit your needs.

The klx250s looks nice but two people in this club bought that bike only to upgrade a year later. The wr250r is trick but a newer model so used bikes may be hard to find and or pricey.

Check out orange county or riverside craigslists too.

The drz has served myself and many riders well. The DR650 is more street worthy. Depending how and what you want to ride, both the DR and the DRZ has huge aftermarkets and can be configured to fit your needs.

realize; I've been through LOTS of dual sports... I still have my DRZ... it may do everything badly, but at least it will do EVERYTHING

I rode Corral in the rain, slip sliding around, doing small jumps and keeping up with some decent riders.... rode it to work the following day on the freeway , and had mud dripping off it in the executive lot (:heh: right next to the GM and a couple of VPs... there was a mud outline of my bike)

as for off-road vs the DR650... yeah, it's a little lighter and has better suspension, but it is also taller. That makes height impaired folks more likely to drop the drz, in my mind

that all being said- I still can't stress it enough... for your FIRST dual sport... used, small bore (if you have atruck) and ride it for a year... sell it for little or no loss.

If you don't have a truck, DRZ is a good compromise

I agree with BS. The only time I've ever said to myself, I wish I was on a bigger bike is on the freeway. However I've said to myself lots times I wish I was on a smaller lighter bike when in the dirt. So it really boils down to what your main purpose for the bike is. If you want to learn how to ride well in the dirt. Either get yourself a track bike and go ride tracks for the next couple of years then get a dual sport. Or get a small (think KDX 220 ect..) and go out and have fun. I know lots of very good riders that spent years riding the little KDX's (think Larry Roeseler). So think about how your going to use the bike then get the right bike.

80% street 20% dirt DR 650 or KLR 650

50% street 50% dirt DRZ 400

20% street 80% dirt KDX 220

These are all bikes that can be found at good prices and can be resold for what you pay for them when your ready for a new bike.

CiD

I spoke with a coworker from another yard yesterday and he said since im essentially brand new to bikes outside of the handful of times friends let me ride theirs he recommends to get the light bike. so now im leaning to the light bike side. being new to bikes its probably best i stay away from the freeway and stick to lower traffic volume areas as far as riding on the road goes. so i think ill try to go with a bike thats more dirt bike-ish.

i looked up that kdx and i really like that. but i dont know the method of getting one plated and xr650l bum mentioned something about a bike being plated after 04-05ish. haha i have no idea. im a little more than a week from having my driving freedom restored to me and my motorcycle permit(im pretty sure ill pass that test when i head to the DMV on the 6th since ive been reading the little booklet and i bought a "proficient motorcycling" book to read in my down time). ill need to hook up with some of you to talk bikes and gear and riding skills haha. i know some of you have offered test rides. haha i am up for test rides i just hope they beater bikes cause id be afraid of dropping and braking something.

anywho since its been recommended that i get a cheap bike(so i dont get asshurt when i drop it every 5 minutes on a trail) i think im gonna set my budget to $2000 or less. also id prefer to stick with a 4-stroke over 2 stroke for less maintenance since i am a N00B.

heres some DR350 i found on CL

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/2821283960.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/2810447162.html <---not plated but if it isnt a pain would it be worth the price and just add blinkers and mirrors(with someones help from here haha)

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/2818300549.html <---no pictures :(

Not plated = not worth it. If you're looking for something in the 2 grand range you should find something already plated without too much trouble. Try search tempest for easier searching on craigslist. link HERE

If you want to stick with a 4-stroke the you should also look at the smaller Honda XL's a and XR's with plates. Honda makes great bikes that will run for decades and these older bikes will also hold their value when it comes time to get a new bike.

If this bike was plated it would probably be worth $1000.00 more than he's asking.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/2822801989.html

CiD

Even if you're buying your bike used, check out the prices for new bikes at OTD Cycle Sports. A lot of people are asking more for a used bike on craigslist than a new bike from OTD.

If you do buy a bike new locally, print out a quote from OTD to take it to the dealer and beat them over the head with it. I've had dealers match the OTD price. If they don't match it, drive up to L.A. and buy the bike from OTD.

I've got a DR200 and I still ride it. I'm only 5'6" and I think it's a little too small for me. At 5'10", it'd definitely be too small for you.