Wakemedic

Coolant

Hey Guys,

Great seeing familiar faces tonight from past rides and finally putting a face with a profile name on a bunch of you. Been searching the past forums with no luck, but I know there were some strong opinions on types of waterless coolant. The KTM kept overheating in Mammoth, so I bought XF plus Race coolant. They also had Engine ice for the same price. Engine ice claimed boil protection to 265F and this stuff 375F. I know we talked about another product to look up and some stuff to avoid. Thoughts ...... Opinions...............

Chris Nelson, I'll beat you to the punch..... NO I cant sell my 04 and Buy the 2012 ! And Roger, I know ..... If I rode faster and stayed up with you guys the bike probably wouldn't over heat ! Any other Thoughts / opinions ?

Thanks, Eddie

I believe changing coolant to prevent overheating is a bad idea.

Fixing the overheating is a good idea.

Does your KTM have a cooling fan? Is it jetted correctly- not too lean like it comes from the factory? If the bike has a lot of hours, have you checked the water pump impeller?

If all these are ok, then you MIGHT consider a special coolant.

I run Evans, mostly because I ride in remote areas (when I can!) and the steaming and belching would lose coolant. But it's very important to understand a special coolant does not fix consistant overheating- it just hides the problem.

Go with Paul's idea. My "02 ktm 520 was over heating when I bought it "used." I adjusted the fuel air screw and it stopped for the most part. It still can't idle and just sit there. Add a fan as a first choice past adjusting the fuel screw.

Chris Nelson, I'll beat you to the punch..... NO I cant sell my 04 and Buy the 2012 ! And Roger, I know ..... If I rode faster and stayed up with you guys the bike probably wouldn't over heat ! Any other Thoughts / opinions ?

Now if you hadn't sold that DRZ, nature's most perfect bike... :rolleyes:

I'm helping Eddie work on his bike. One of the jets was completely blocked and we cleaned it out. The bike already has a fan so we are now just wondering what coolant people have had good luck with. I always just put in whatever I have on hand for the cars and never seem to have a problem. We are also going to adjust the valves. I can't get Eddie to follow my advice and trade in his bike on a 2012 350exc.

Covered in Grease

properly tuned engine and use.

(Evans)(or ZipTy branded)

/2 gallon bottle (64 fluid ounces) - Zip-Ty Racing Products introduces a new generation coolant… XF ... the first of its kind – Waterless Race Coolant. It is race proven and guaranteed to stop overheating and boil over in your racing 4-stroke. And, since it is waterless, it out performs traditional coolants: besides superior boil over protection; it ...operates at safer pressures; ...prevents oxidation of jacket metal, electrolysis, and resulting contamination and fluid destruction; ...prevents cavitation – vapor hot spots that create non-uniform metal expansion rates - causing seizures; ...and has reduced oral toxicity for your family’s safety. Available in 1 gallon and 1/2 gallon jugs through ZTR and its dealers. You don't need big, expensive, aftermarket radiators... You need XF Waterless Race Coolant XF will keep your 4-stroke from boiling over... or your money back! Note... works great in all types of internal combustion engines SHIPMENTS AVAILABLE IN US STATES ONLY

Well i was stuck behind you on that single track and i didn't overheat. Stock coolant ,no fan. Jetted correctly and idle set properly. :D Seriously i think your bike just was not running properly to begin with which led to your problems. Lets get it tuned up properly and set up the carb and see what happens first. Paul is right we have to fix the problem not mask it. That being said, it is an RFS KTM

Ps. Eddie you would love the 2012 350 exc just sayin

add this as well( my 3 cents), all the bikes are tested and R&Dd' engineered in the oem configuration, ie with the air louvers, fan and stock tank. My note means that I do not believe in all those aftermarket open front screen rad guards and some aftermarket tank substantially reduce air flow across the rads..

Most bikes are tested under standard riding conditions with pro test riders, and they tend to move along at a good pace,but even the pros boil over, just watch some of the xtreme enduro stuff (but with non aqueous coolant the engine heat is there of course but the dry hot spots(danger zone for heat transfer) the boil over and fluid loss would be greatly reduced)

from experience under extreme conditions (trust me on that comment) well tuned engine/jetting (lean EPA jetting =heat), a good cap, good hoses, oem louvers,fan if oem, an oem tank or one that permits good airflow, evans/zipty coolant and you will not sense the o temp boil overs and will prevent the dry hot spots from boiling fluid.

best of luck, all will do what they feel is the right thing and if it works for you thats fine.

Thanks guys, Yea I bought the Zip TY XF stuff yesterday, Paul I should have posted more, obviously I dont want to mask the problem, something was going on as it didnt just over heat on that little 4 ft ledge we took, but even in the fun wide open run before lunch. Like Chris said one jet was completely clogged and we found some other things, Just seeing what worked for other guys.

Thanks guys, Yea I bought the Zip TY XF stuff yesterday, Paul I should have posted more, obviously I dont want to mask the problem, something was going on as it didnt just over heat on that little 4 ft ledge we took, but even in the fun wide open run before lunch. Like Chris said one jet was completely clogged and we found some other things, Just seeing what worked for other guys.

Yeah, the KTM OEM(!) fan is where most people start.

But KTM is known to belch in tight singletrack.

late to the party, but I'll echo everything said already

KTMs come jetted lean- fatten it up

Cooling fans help immensely- a different coolant is not really the issue, but if you're just swapping out anyway, might as well find out what people are using

riding the pace of a 15 yr old on ranger, my red light came on the DRZ for the first time ever... got hom, and the fan shroud had bent on my Close Encounter of the Tree Kind, so the fan couldn't turn. Other than that, the DRZ IS the most perfect bike ever

good luck on your inferior Australian bike :torch: (flaming and trolling)

I use engine ice in my 300's as the are known for overheating but heard good things about evans (and didn't know was same as zip ty stuff).

Some very good advise from others but also check rad cap is OK, should be 1.8 bar, some KTM's came with 1.4 and they blow off too soon and caps do go bad/weak with age.

Another very good option though is to fit a coolant recovery bottle (motion pro is one option), this way when it does boil the coolant is collected and as it cools down after the coolant is sucked back into radiators.

True- the coolant recovery bottles are very popular- I have one I'm not using and I'd be glad to give it to you, WakeMedic...

Guest Crusty

I had a slight overheating problem with my CR500.

I went through everything and it still lost a little coolant.

It was really hard to find the problem, the bike ran great, had tons of power.

Finally I decided to pull the head and found a very small leak in the head gasket.

350.00 later I had a fresh top end.coolio.gif

KTM has had major engine overheating problems since 2007 model year that i know off and they have been trying to fix this problem since if not before by replacing the engine literally every year since then but no luck fixing this issue. The new 2012 models are suppose to be better at not overheating but only time will tell.Before you start......I have owned a new 2007 and 2009 KTM 450exc and they both had overheating problems the dealer tried to help me fix the first one 2007(first year of the plated exc's) and just couldn't after dumping a lot time and money in to it then i bought a 2009 it was the same problem but sold it before deciding to throw it off a cliff. I am probably the only guy in this forum that really think that the KTM's are pieces of shitt but I don't think there's anyone in earth that can make me change my mind because I have been there done that.Every bike manufacturer has had a problem with a bike or an issue but KTM seems to be having an overheating problem for a while now and I haven't heard yet if it was fixed maybe like I said the 2012 models won't have this problem but only time will tell.

Guest Crusty

KTM has had major engine overheating problems since 2007 model year that i know off and they have been trying to fix this problem since if not before by replacing the engine literally every year since then but no luck fixing this issue. The new 2012 models are suppose to be better at not overheating but only time will tell.Before you start......I have owned a new 2007 and 2009 KTM 450exc and they both had overheating problems the dealer tried to help me fix the first one 2007(first year of the plated exc's) and just couldn't after dumping a lot time and money in to it then i bought a 2009 it was the same problem but sold it before deciding to throw it off a cliff. I am probably the only guy in this forum that really think that the KTM's are pieces of shitt but I don't think there's anyone in earth that can make me change my mind because I have been there done that.Every bike manufacturer has had a problem with a bike or an issue but KTM seems to be having an overheating problem for a while now and I haven't heard yet if it was fixed maybe like I said the 2012 models won't have this problem but only time will tell.

I think they have found ways to fix the problems.

I used to think just like you!

Every other ride I would go on a KTM. would oveheat.

Instead of fixing their bikes, the owners would brag about how great their bikes were.

I haven't been on a ride where I had to wait for A KTM. to cool down in a while.

1326940340[/url]' post='119710']
1326939027[/url]' post='119708']

I think they have found ways to fix the problems.

I used to think just like you!

Every other ride I would go on a KTM. would oveheat.

Instead of fixing their bikes, the owners would brag about how great their bikes were.

I haven't been on a ride where I had to wait for A KTM. to cool down in a while.

A good friend of mine that asked for an advise on a good small bike and I said buy anything but a KTM and he went and bought a leftover 2011 KTM and I know for a fact he's been having nothing but overheating problems with it. I disagree with you there are still having overheating problems as of the 2011 model.In life as we get older and wiser we are suppose to make better decisions not always off course and I know I made two stupid costly ones and I will make sure that everyone knows about them so they don't make the same ones. After loosing about 10k total on both bikes I purchased a USED 2006 DRZ that was someone garage queen and I have been beating the ---- out of it and it has been telling go ahaid I am just a Suzuki and can take the abuse from you or anyone. Last month on my birthday we took a day trip to Baja organized by Kkug and CID a lot of fun my DRZ was doing 90 on the freeway for a long time keeping with him and CID new 990 ADV and ken told that I am going to blow the engine and my reply was that at least I know I am the one that did it by trying to stay at that speed for a long time.Reliability is a major factor for me you get to an age where you want the best and I mean by that the most reliable, at this point of my life winning means finishing first then winning is second.

Driss -Trust me their are places that you can overheat your DRZ want to try them ? :)

I am sure they are places which you can overheat any engine but these are the places where 98% of the engine will be overheating and I don't honestly have a problem with that probability.Ken, you know I am not a mechanic or a handyman, when like everyone I wanted the best bike from the showroom floor with few modification ie stabilizer/damper, tires,.....but then you have an overheating problem then you scratch everything and you are like wait a minute how do I resolve such a basic issue that should of been the problem of the manufacturer not me.I have good and very knowledgeable friend in the industry and I should of listen to them twice and they happen to sell and service KTM but I was wrong they were right and when you do some internet reading everyone say this is what I did to fix the overhearing in my bike but I really douth anyone really fixed it for good.Why a manufacturer would keep changing an engine coolant configuration every year since 2007 unless it knows there is a problem and it's trying to fix it and I know the based on the Internet that earlier KTM have had the same issue.

Huh.

I've had my share of problems- most of them my own fault- but overheating has not been one of them. Once properly jetted and with the KTM fan, I've not overheated. And I've never been on a ride where I had to wait for a KTM to cool down. Yes, of course- I'm a puss and don't ride where the really good riders go, so how could I know, right? <<<just beating you to the punch

I'm not arguing you've had issues, and I wish you hadn't. But it's interesting to me that the 2007 and the 2009- these are very different bikes, different motor designs. Sure, same displacement.

Sorry about your difficulties.

like wait a minute how do I resolve such a basic issue that should of been the problem of the manufacturer not me.

sell it and buy a bike that comes with a fan! LOL

My, now TNTMO's, 02 KTM 520 used to overheat a lot in the tight stuff.....I fiddled with the carb and put on a fluid recovery bottle......that helped but as Beez said, they don't like to sit idling regardless of year.......if you're going to be sitting still for a while just kill it.....that's why you have a magic button :heh:

Note that the coolant level should be just a tad over the fins.....if you're filling your radiator up all the way it WILL boil over to "self correct"

Driss -Trust me their are places that you can overheat your DRZ want to try them ? :)

I have never had my DRZ boil over, and have done some stupid things on it... not saying it won't, just saying if the trail will make the bike boil, I have no business being on that trail with my limited skill. I overheat before the bike does

That is not saying the DRZ is better than a KTM at all. the DRZ is a mildly tuned 400 cc engine; being mildly tuned, it runs cooler even before rejetting (which I suggest for all bikes if you know what to do- ) The DRZ also has a fan, catch bottle and some big radiators. That all adds up to weight, girth and a sluggish engine.

KTM went the other direction... KTMs traditionally are "race ready right out of the box"... light weight and high performing (and carb legal)... so- rejet, and if you are going to be riding goat trails, make the above-listed mods...if you keep the KTM moving it won't overheat either. I can say, I have seen more belching KTMs than DRZs, but I have been on plenty of rides with KTMs and the overheating wasn't the issue.