Licensed Amateur Radio Operators  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Are you currently a licensed amateur radio operator at the Technician's class or higher? Please check if your answer is "yes".

• Are you currently licensed?
    • Do you have solid plans to become one?
    • Are you riding the Desert Dash this year?
    • Are you a Sweep Team Volunteer?

I'd like to know how many licenced HAM radio operators we now have in the club, and how many of those will be attending the Desert Dash. I've been lurking for the last few years about this, waiting more folks will license-up that would allow greater range and safer communication systems.

We might not be ready for this, so it's just a poll right now.

Thanks.

What's it cost, how long does it take, how many classes, how hard the test, etc. to get certified ?

How much does a good pair of radios cost ?

5 minutes of my own research....results:

Called Ham Radio Outlet San Diego, this local company, guy was very helpful on the phone.

Decent radio for motorcycling $159 without accessories like earpieces, etc.

Gave me these websites for class info, practice tests, etc.:

SANDARC.NET

QRZ.com

License Exam is 35 questions for $5 fee.

Studying, then taking online practice tests over and over for a week or two and you should be able to pass no problem.

I dont think I can get my license by the Dash but I sure would like to get the setup so I could have the radio for the dash.

Online exam preparation resources

We would like to encourage you to use online resources and take practice exams provided free of charge by any of the following excellent sites:

http://www.qrz.com/testing.html

http://www.eham.net/exams

http://aa9pw.com

http://kb0mga.net

http://www.ah0a.org/AH0A.html

•iPhone exam preparation app LINK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, BTW....please vote in Paul's POLE at the top of this thread.

Oh, BTW....please vote on Paul's POLE at the top of this thread.

I'm hoping you'll vote on my poll, but thanks for the thought....coolio.gif

Here's the deal- the radio costs about $130 and the harness + PTT switch is about $185. THere is a writeup here on SDAR that tells you exactly what you want that will work with others in the club. While you are supposed to have a license to use these, you do not have to have a license to buy one, and I've met many people that use it unlicensed in rarely-used frequencies on the move in the desert without issue. It will provide simplex bike-to-bike comms for about a mile, maybe more.

However.

I'm trying to determine the number of licensed hams we have to evaluate the possibility of appointing a sweep frequency that uses a repeater in the area, providing ride-wide communications. Ride-wide- that's funny. Say it ten times fast.

If we have enough hams, we could do this, but I'd have to talk with the repeater owners and extend the courtesy of asking permission to have significantly increased traffic on their system. Using the repeaters requires a license. Yes, you ham-geeks, one CAN use a repeater in an emergency, but one must learn how to program frequencise, offsets and sub-tones to do it.

If we only have a few hams, it's not worth the effort to provide the info.

It's by my fantasy (there's another emotionally-charged word, fantasy) that many more of our club members would spend the two hours needed to learn the test and take the exam, providing a VERY wide safety network. If we had enough, we could align with some of the ham clubs for help training, programming, etc.

WB6QWD

I don't think you can buy a radio without the license.

Anyone can buy a radio, it's just not legal to use it in the HAM band without a license.

We really all should get licensed. I'm one of those that has dragged my feet long enough. I need to get it done.

You know what would be AWESOME?

One of our Hams giving a quick class on hitting repeaters. The classes and licencing do not cover it; to many people that I run met into have no clue how to get onto a repeater.

I would love to help, but should not be the primary instructor. There are many better Ham users on SDAR than me.

I don't think you can buy a radio without the license.

Anyone can buy a radio, it's just not legal to use it in the HAM band without a license.

We really all should get licensed. I'm one of those that has dragged my feet long enough. I need to get it done.

I don't use the radio enough to learn... that sounds like a cop-out but it's the truth

like corel draw, pinochle, and excel, if I don't use it, I just plain forget it... it's not like riding a bike...

at any rate- I didn't vote for Paul's pole

You know what would be AWESOME?

One of our Hams giving a quick class on hitting repeaters. The classes and licencing do not cover it; to many people that I run met into have no clue how to get onto a repeater.

I agree. I am willing to line up a "real" ham guy to come and talk to us, but I don't believe there are enough licensed operators to do it.

Thus, the poll- that's why I started it.

I received my Novice & Technician class licenses in 1983 and currently hold the Advanced class license. As of now I have no plans to attend The Dash, but if a Ham "sweep group" becomes a reality I could easily change my mind.

Eric - N6ITD

I have my radio(my Christmas present from my wife) and am taking the test here in Yuma in a couple of weeks. The guy doing the test is also doing a class before the test to help people understand the equipment a little better. He sent out a copy of all the questions with just the correct answers attached. He recommends just spending some time each day reading the questions and correct answers, never looking at the incorrect answers. That way you will recognize the correct answer during the test. The test is only 35 multiple choice questions but the 35 are drawn from 200 specific questions. All 200 questions are in the packet he sent me. If anyone wants a copy, PM me your email and I will forward it to you. Also "Ham Radio Study" is available on the Android market (I think for free) and will quiz you all the questions. Great for studying during breaks. Also for the computer,

the following site has a great test program that will allow you to track your scores on sample tests.

http://copaseticflow.blogspot.com/2008/10/technician-class-amateur-exam-practice.html

Good luck

YEah, I just did the online practice tests until I knew all the answers. Only thing I memorized was the ohm's law triangle:

dcp23.gif

+1

...but if a Ham "sweep group" becomes a reality ...

That is actually a great idea. If a "No Man Left Behind" Sweep Team goes out and does the whole route (splitting when needed) that would be a whole new level of security for riders. I would be glad to head up or be a member of that team.

I bought a radio right before LAB2V with plans of getting licensed but havent yet. Any group training, especially on using repeaters would be great. Thank you.

I've had my license for about 15 years now and know the repeater system in the desert pretty well. I'm not a member of SDAR. Not that I don't want to be but just never had the time. Anyway I will be riding the Saturday loop with a couple of buddies and willing to help with any information you need. There a two repeaters that cover the desert fairly well. One on Mt. Laguna and the other at Superstition. You will not be able to reach the Superstition repeater from Butterfield but it does cover some areas of the desert that are shadowed from the Mt. Laguna repeater. If you intend to use them it is customary to inform the club that owns the repeater. Let me know if I can be of help.

When I read the header " Desert Dash Hams " I thought I was going to see some funny pics from the Dash Like this " HAM in a TuTu "

desertdashPinkTuTu.jpg

When I read the header " Desert Dash Hams " I thought I was going to see some funny pics from the Dash Like this " HAM in a TuTu "

Steve, you're such a HAM :lol:

Definition:

Used to describe the actions of a person as going hard as a mo-fo, doing the activity with the utmost vigor and determination.

I'm closer to Schwinn's interpretation on this, not on the real subject.

I really thought this was about FOOD and I was thinking someone had a bunch of Hams to donate to the dinner/breakfast.

PS I have my FCC GROL (General Radiotelephone Operators License), but never played with HAM radios only Aircraft stuff. See yall on probably just the Sun version of the DD.

What type of amateur station simultaneously retransmits the signal of another amateur station on a different channel or channels?

What type of amateur station simultaneously retransmits the signal of another amateur station on a different channel or channels?

Dual Band Repeater?

A repeater.

I'm not sure about simultaneously, though- bit of a delay.

Took the class last year with Steel Rain and Covered, $5 and an afternoon spent going over the answers to the test questions. There is an entire college semester worth of info on the Ham radio so this class is about just passing the test. We left with a license, but honestly not a tremendous amount of real knowledge. Roger is correct in that you can buy a radio without a License, however one of the guys down at the Ham Radio Outlet didnt seem like he would sell me anything until I proved that I had a license. Paul.... I would be in on any further class you set up.

I just sent an email to our instructor up at Deer Springs to ask about the next license class. I'll pass on the feedback.

Eddie KJ6NUK