Covered in Dust

Ham Radio license

There is going to be a ham radio license class with testing at the end of the day on 4/2 at the Deer Springs fire station just north of Escondido. The cost of the class is only $5.00. The contact I have is Ron Perry at (877) 204-7269. You need sign up no later than 3/19.

Covered in License

There is going to be a ham radio license class with testing at the end of the day on 4/2 at the Deer Springs fire station just nort of Escondido. The cost of the class is only $5.00. Anyone interested PM me and I will forward contact info.

Covered in License

PM Sent.

Send me the info!

All who are interested I didn't have the number with me last night. The contact is Ron Perry (877) 204-7269. The class runs all day from about 8 to 4:30. I think you need to sign up no later than 3/19. Hope to see some of you there.

Chris

All who are interested I didn't have the number with me last night. The contact is Ron Perry (877) 204-7269. The class runs all day from about 8 to 4:30. I think you need to sign up no later than 3/19. Hope to see some of you there.

Chris

wish I could be there...I'll be in kauai....maybe ask them if that kind of thing is offered around the county elsewhere?.....and let us know...

I recently got my license. For all of you considering it, but having fear about taking the test, let me put your fears to rest. I have no electrical background. I have no electronics background. I studied on my own by taking the on-line practice tests and passed. Taking a class would be SOOOOO much easier, because the electrical theories on the test (I.E converting ohms law equations) would be much simpler to understand. If anyone has questions about the current test, feel free to pm me.

KJ6MNE clear.

There is going to be a ham radio license class with testing at the end of the day on 4/2 at the Deer Springs fire station just north of Escondido. The cost of the class is only $5.00. The contact I have is Ron Perry at (877) 204-7269. You need sign up no later than 3/19.

Covered in License

I recently got my license. For all of you considering it, but having fear about taking the test, let me put your fears to rest. I have no electrical background. I have no electronics background. I studied on my own by taking the on-line practice tests and passed. Taking a class would be SOOOOO much easier, because the electrical theories on the test (I.E converting ohms law equations) would be much simpler to understand. If anyone has questions about the current test, feel free to pm me.

KJ6MNE clear.

I think the big difference between online study (the way I did it) and a class is contact with someone who can actually work the radios. The theory I understand, but you have to be a big 'ol geek to work these radios for more than push-to-talk.

KJ6MNE clear.

I think the big difference between online study (the way I did it) and a class is contact with someone who can actually work the radios. The theory I understand, but you have to be a big 'ol geek to work these radios for more than push-to-talk.

Totally agree. I passed the test without actually understanding most of the material. I just memorized the questions. When it came time to apply the theories, I needed help from more knowledgeable people. For the DD, we needed to be able to utilize offset and repeater activation tones. That was fun to set up for the first time.

the theory its all very basic... From my memory it only depends on knowing two equations that are simple. Plus a little memorization of components. Disclaimer: I am an electrical engineer but it is nothing beyond the absolute most basic algebra.

I would bet that they do not teach much about radio operation in a class designed at passing the test as it is not material that is on the test and is radio dependant.

I found the basic radio settings to be quite simple and intuitive (after looking in the manual) but for more complicated operations involving advanced memory storage and advanced scanning the radio operations were quite complex.

Just talked to Ron Perry. See you guys there.

I'll go if I'm don't get stitched up with any other plans ;) ......need to see if I already am stitched up with other plans?!?! :blink: Hope they can take last minute applicants..... :huh:

Crawdaddy I think you could probably get in before the class but there seems to be some home work needed before the class and you need to get an FCC registration #. This only takes a couple of minutes online to get. I'm signed up and starting to go over the material. The class runs from 9 to 4 on Saturday 4/2 then I think it will be time for a cold one at my house just up the road from there.

Chris