kkug

I Encountered a Mountain Lion Today

I was hiking near Luelf Pond Preserve-- Ramona

RIP poor thing :dead:

IMAG0393-1.jpg

IMAG0391.jpg

Its funny I was just reading about Mtn.Lions on the sign board and thinking of them as I was hiking alone and I come across this. It was kinda fresh ( did not smell ) maybe a day or two.

It was near a road and some fresh tire tracks were near so maybe someone killed it and dumped it. I will call Fish and Game on Tuesday to see if they are interested .

Sad :(

DFG should be called right away. They need tissue samples of the animal, blood samples, and to check contents of whats in the cats stomach. Also before the feet/paws pads are eaten by ants, they need to make a cast of the big cats feet in order to see where it has been, from other tacks seen in the area. each cat leaves a different track.

ETC ETC,, lots of things need to be done,

DFG should be called right away. They need tissue samples of the animal, blood samples, and to check contents of whats in the cats stomach. Also before the feet/paws pads are eaten by ants, they need to make a cast of the big cats feet in order to see where it has been, from other tacks seen in the area. each cat leaves a different track.

Its Christmas Eve -Is anyone around ? I looked at the web site. I guess I could leave a message on the phone and they can call me back

Its Christmas Eve -Is anyone around ? I looked at the web site. I guess I could leave a message on the phone and they can call me back

I looked around the website and called some numbers. They have some volenterrs and I left a message.

I guess they forgot the shovel part.....

It is very sad. :(..but also scary..:unsure:..I saw one in poway last spring near dusk... from less than 100 yards.....not enough distance for me.....I was with my 2 big dogs, and the cat was NOT in the least spooked by us....but I was certainly spooked by him.....they seem to be coming closer to civilization these days....

It is very sad. :(..but also scary..:unsure:..I saw one in poway last spring near dusk... from less than 100 yards.....not enough distance for me.....I was with my 2 big dogs, and the cat was NOT in the least spooked by us....but I was certainly spooked by him.....they seem to be coming closer to civilization these days....

NO CIVILIZATION IS GETTING CLOSER TO THEM.

P.M. the general area, i will send a agent ASAP

As much as they are feared, its sad to see such a strong animal down like that...

Moving here 7 years ago from NYC my wife would not walk outside the house (at night) for the first month or so...for fear of getting eaten by a mountain lion...

Sounds funny now but it was pretty serious then -

we now have a cat living in the oak grove less then 1/2 mile away, that the neighbors have seen and I have heard

if this was 7 years ago I would have been (forced) back to 9th ave. & 56th st. street

kindly asking the dealers to stop working off the hood of my car....and peeing on my tires...rolleyes.gif

That is a beautiful cat! In my neighborhood we have had several mt lion warnings and sightings. I'm more scared of the rattlesnakes we've killed in the backyard!

Merry Christmas

Ken, I think the more civilization is invading there space the more they are moving closer to us, sharing is part of the game we on the other hand have seightings of a mountain lion once a month and they usually lock down the schools below my house but coyotes these guys have eating three of my cats and three month back my daughter's teecup Yorkshire. I see them at least once a week wondering around my house and they are here because they have been too many rabbits everywhere this last two to three years so there's food for them and they are staying here because of that. They also think they can get to my chickens but no way they are in a very secure fort Knox type of cage.My wife by the way is an animal xxxxx if I don't control her habits I would have a zoo in my house, by the way any SDAR that has kids place a free order for blue eggs coming this Easter yes we have chickens that lay those famous blue eggs.

1324830094[/url]' post='118146']
1324829875[/url]' post='118145']

we have chickens that lay those famous blue eggs.

Ameraucanas? :coolio:

Yes that's what we have, it's funny my wife said wants me to buy her some chickens I got some from a farm in Santa Isabel I was driving stopped asked if I can buy three or four chickens they said no problem we got home and built a house for them, a week later I get a frantic call from my kids one of the chicken is from Mars because she laid a blue egg I said maybe she's sick or she's has eating some nuclear waste. My wife gets home she googles it and we found out for the first time that ther is three colors in eggs. We took the culprit to Hawthorn store in Escondido and they confirmed it's an Araucana chicken they originated from Chile and they are the only chicken in the world that lay an egg that is blue not white or brown. We now have 4 of these kind of chickens and five regular chickens they are really pets with benefits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucana

1324830216[/url]' post='118147']

anyone have access to a big refer?

Refer???? Really I didn't understand what you mean.

Tommy, if you find out the COD I'd be curious to know. They are bitchin amimals and king ---- around here. Hope it wasn't some knucklhead...ranchers excluded.

There are many big cats around you just hardly see em. I've spent years huntting Ramona and east having been spooked more than once when I saw the cat that was watching me.

Riggerdan, if the cat sticks around a small area its probably a bobcat. Big cats roam a large area although they do cross into each others territory unlike what the books say.

I was riding my klr yesterday down Santa Ysabel tr and wondered if a cat would jump a quiet bike from above and behind like they have done to mountain bikers. I surprise a lot of deer so im sure a cat could be caught off guard and might attack in chase mode. I checked my speedo and hoped 40 would be enough lol.

NO CIVILIZATION IS GETTING CLOSER TO THEM.

We move into their backyards and let our pets and kids loose in their supermarkets. When they sit down for dinner we kill them for it. :rolleyes:

Was there a zipper on it? Might've been a chupacabra in a cat suit -- I hear it's all the rage.

:good:

Thanks KKug for posting. It is saddening to see this. All we can do is be aware of these great animals, and do our best to help them survive the human infestation that they are experiencing. They are true predators, and therefore need space and fresh meat to survive. If you are attacked by this animal, be assured that it is indeed trying to kill and eat you.

Let's give tribute to this awesome wild animal. If they can not be wild and survive, than I can't either . . . :bigeyed:

image8-1-715294.jpg

mountain-lion.jpg

20091222151338nps-1.jpg?w=500&h=333

mountain_lion_with_prey_minnesota_usa_600-03333551-1.jpg

(wtf u doing here photo guy, I'm trying to eat)

Live on great Mountain Lions of this earth!

I got ahold of fish and game this morning and gave them some info

1324830216[/url]' post='118147']

anyone have access to a big refer?

Refer???? Really I didn't understand what you mean.

a big cooler (refrigerator... refer) for the cat

I have one, but expect that the Health department might have an issue keeping a wild animal in it; they're SO uptight that way :heh:

I'll echo some other thoughts- WE encroached on them; they are just doing what they are programmed to do... I've seen one at Corral a few years ago, and they are amazing even from far away.

between the bike noise, armor and helmet, and 40 hp beneath me, I don't worry about them much on a motorcycle... on my mountain bike helmet, I had eye stickers on the back...it may not help, but can't hurt

there are also a couple sightings around the Alpine area lately. As it is we don't let Cody out near dusk, without somebody else with him. We are right on a canyon, near Wright's Field and Viejas Mountain.... I KNOW we have coyotes and mountain lions about, and I wouldn't have it any other way