paulmbowers

Mountain biker persons-

Several years ago, I was looking for a pump to carry on the moto- something small, light and dual-volume. Found it on my MTB, and have been carrying it ever since.

I got a flat today- on the MTB. Tools, check. Patchkit, check. Pump...uh...

So I had to ride it home on the flat about a mile. Of course shredding the tire in the process, which was OK, and I suspect it was due- the MTB has see a lot of storage time.

So- what kind of tires do you Mountain Boys like? Keep in mind, I rarely, if ever, ride the MTB off road. I typically ride with Mr11 to school and back, with maybe a ride around the park now and then. Maybe it's time for a citybike tire?

Current size is 26x10, and the truth is it probably matters little. But I'd like to know the real scoop....

thanks.

PS Bike is a hardtail.

I used to go for the deeper tread tires. The last couple years I've been riding smaller block tires. I really like the Maxxis Crossmark. Small block tread, tight up the center so it rolls fast but is predictable. I'm amazed at how well it does on the trails. It's probably a little pricey for what you described. A good alternative is the WTB Wolverine. Very similar. If you look on Nashbar there a few "slick" options too. I've run slicks on the MTB in the past. Pump them up to higer PSI and you're keeping up with road bikes...

I used to go for the deeper tread tires. The last couple years I've been riding smaller block tires.

I haven't ridden my mtn bike much in the past several years but like Erick I ride with low profile tires......sort of an MT43 for mtn bikes......some knobs on the outside and a knurled surface in the center......mine are so old I can't even find them online anymore..... :heh:

So- what kind of tires do you Mountain Boys like? Keep in mind, I rarely, if ever, ride the MTB off road.

+1 on the small block eights. keksb-1.jpg

Another option is one I put on my commuter bike the other day. Continental town and country:cotac1-1.jpg

The small blocks are great however will wear very quickly on pavement or hardpack fire roads for that matter. A tire like those Conti's is a great choice for the type of riding you're going to do. Kenda makes a tire that is close to that one as well and will be less expensive to boot. Also, if you're into saving a few bucks get one with a wire bead rather than a kevlar (folding). Again, for what you're doing it will work fine. One last note.... If you purchase a 26x1 or 1.5 tire it will help you during the install if you buy a narrow tube. Most tubes that are out on the shelves will be for a 2.0 width tire (avg) These just make more work for you when you're trying to cram it all in there. Lastly, don't forget the baby powder. It just does good things for the tube inside the tire!

Keep riding!

post-14596-046959800 1317226146_thumb.jp

for my commuter bike I like the Continental also- they will do gravel paths, rose canyon, etc just fine... just don't do any serious steep climbs or downhills with them

also check your rim width... the skinnier it is, the more you can run a street tire... higher pressures, smoother tread, and thinner... less rolling resistance

Ok, I got the slicks. Because I'm a badass, and need badass looking things.

And they were $10.99 each. Wanted the Conti's but for 11 bucks, I though I'd give the Nashbar slicks a try.

Thanks, everybody!

Hmmmmm...... Interesting title to this thread........ :rolleyes: Women ride too you know, and believe it or not we buy tires for our bikes as well..... :D Sorry, Just had to say something - ok, I'm done....

Hmmmmm...... Interesting title to this thread........ :rolleyes:

Fixed with apologies.

What do you recommend?

What do you recommend?

I don't know - I just ride whatever my husband puts on my bike.... :heh: Haha, just kidding....

I always run Kenda Nevegal DTC, but then again I only ride the dirt, no pavement (I have a road bike for that). But thanks for asking.... :heh:

P.S. You didn't have to change the title, I was just giving you a hard time.

Love the new rubber- like sumo tires on the KTM.

Perfect reccomendation, thanks!

NS-SBT-NCL-TREAD.jpg

Ok, more questions.

Our son, Mr11, needs a new bike. He's a bit of a late bike bloomer, and has been riding a little bmx style cheapo. It's been fine, coaster brake and rear v-brake, easy to reach the ground while sitting on the bike, etc.

But he's progressing quickly, and we ride to school - about 2 miles- a few times per week, and I'm looking to do it more often. He's digging riding, and he's not the team-sport type (huh- how'd that happen?) so I'm always looking for ways to increase his physical activity. I suspect, like his dad, once he "gets" that riding his bike = autonomy he's be riding all the time.

So.

I have a fairly small MTB I bought for Indra- 26" wheels, etc, and it's simply too big for him. I'm thinking something with 24" wheels might be a good fit, and a good fit is what I want. It does not need to be fast and light (yet) but I like quality and safety. I'm willing to spend the money for a used bike that's comfortable NOW, rather than force him to use a bigger bike with the idea that "he'll grow into it". Of course he will, but I'd rather have him confident now.

He's 57" tall and ruggedly handsome.

Suggestions?

Suggestions?

Paternity test?

Must say....you set yourself up nicely for that one. :lol:

Giant and Trek have decent bikes in that size... I have a full sus 24" that he is welcome to try on for size. I know he doesn't need that, but it is pretty fun for building confidence

trophy- that wasn't nice

funny though

( by try on for size I mean borrow for an extended period of time... like maybe forever)

Suggestions?

Paternity test?

Damn you man, I just spit water all over my monitor and keyboard. LOL!

skip the paternity test, you already told us he is "ruggedly handsome".

the donut test he may just pass.

Have you checked to see if he pee's like a girl?

the donut test he may just pass.

The donut is for Trophy- he's been staring at the screen for hours since I posted it, unable to function.

It's LEO Kryptonite...heh.gif

If it was a maple bar, ya woulda had me....or an apple fritter.

Regular glazed...pfffft...child's play. :party:

If it was a maple bar, ya woulda had me....or an apple fritter.

Regular glazed...pfffft...child's play. :party:

Yeah, apple fritters don't look as nice in a photograph.

OK- dropped off a Giant 24" full suspension bike for Mr 11.5

two small sections of cable housing for the rear break (if you need it) and a set of cable cutters... rear brake works fine, but not near as smooth as I'd like...

do NOT use diagonal cutters or the like on cables, as they FLATTEN the cable before they cut it, leading to frays, and a cable unable to be fed through the housing

if you like the bike, I have two extra brake levers with shifters attached, ready for installation, but didn't want to spend the time if he doesn't like it

Double-check the spokes for tension and wheels for true, but DON'T pay the shop to do anything to the bike... I can give it a full tune-up in an hour or so... stem was a little loose too.

Sorry the bike wasn't a little more "ready"... way busy... tighten down the shock for road riding

OK- dropped off a Giant 24" full suspension bike for Mr 11.5

two small sections of cable housing for the rear break (if you need it) and a set of cable cutters... rear brake works fine, but not near as smooth as I'd like...

do NOT use diagonal cutters or the like on cables, as they FLATTEN the cable before they cut it, leading to frays, and a cable unable to be fed through the housing

if you like the bike, I have two extra brake levers with shifters attached, ready for installation, but didn't want to spend the time if he doesn't like it

Double-check the spokes for tension and wheels for true, but DON'T pay the shop to do anything to the bike... I can give it a full tune-up in an hour or so... stem was a little loose too.

Sorry the bike wasn't a little more "ready"... way busy... tighten down the shock for road riding

It will be on the bike stand as soon as the KTM is done. It will be returned in better condition, and Mr11 will benefit from the experience.