PastaPilot

Craigslist Stories

We've all sold something on craigslist and most of us are aware of the simple scams and tatoo offers, but I swear everytime I put something up for sale I get a new laugh.

Last night around 830-9 PM I posted my truck for sale. Within 4 hours I'd had two responses asking me if it was still available. Uhhh, yeah, do you think I run an all night used car lot? Do you think someone beat you over to my house between 9 and 11PM and bought it? :rolleyes:

OK, simple response was made and then one of them came back and asked me when they could see it and if I, ME, could get an insurance rate for them because their dial-up connection was too slow. WTF. No. Pick up your phone and dial the 7 digits to your local insurance agent, any agent, moron.

Sometimes I just want to post an ad just for a few laughs. :lol:

Anybody got any other good stories, scams, offers? Put em up.

the tattoo offers really crack me up... maybe just becasue I have NEVER felt the need for a tattoo, much less enough tattoo work to cover the $5000 I am asking for this bike

seriously... how much skin will $5000 cover?

I have no issues with tattoos, they're just not for me... and to have some guy sitting there thinking "I'm a bored tattoo artist... I wonder how many bikes I can get from craiglist by offering my doodles in trade"

Last night around 830-9 PM I posted my truck for sale. Within 4 hours I'd had two responses asking me if it was still available. Uhhh, yeah, do you think I run an all night used car lot? Do you think someone beat you over to my house between 9 and 11PM and bought it? :rolleyes:

Well...

I was looking at a plated 300 and was the first person to call about an hour after it was posted. Asked the seller what time would be convenient for him and we were set to meet the next day. Next day I get a message that it had sold. Apparently somebody else called him after me and set up a meeting that night and bought it. I would have come earlier but made the mistake of asking for a time that was convenient for him.

Pasta, I saw your ad for the truck and I would like to purchase it ASAP. Right now I am in Malaysia on business, but if I could get your address I will have my agent send you a cashier's check for $10,000 above the asking price. You only need to keep the amount for the truck and wire me back the remainder.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

I was looking at a plated 300 and was the first person to call about an hour after it was posted. Asked the seller what time would be convenient for him and we were set to meet the next day. Next day I get a message that it had sold. Apparently somebody else called him after me and set up a meeting that night and bought it. I would have come earlier but made the mistake of asking for a time that was convenient for him.

I inquired about a trials bike one time last year and the lady told me that somebody was scheduled to see it at 9:30 that morning but if I could get there before the other person arrived and I liked it, that she'd sell it to me. I couldn't get there before the other person, and really would have felt a little bad for the other person anyway if I could have beat them there. It's not fair to make somebody believe that they have a guaranteed appointment to purchase something...then they arrive to find that it was already sold.

I inquired about a trials bike one time last year and the lady told me that somebody was scheduled to see it at 9:30 that morning but if I could get there before the other person arrived and I liked it, that she'd sell it to me. I couldn't get there before the other person, and really would have felt a little bad for the other person anyway if I could have beat them there. It's not fair to make somebody believe that they have a guaranteed appointment to purchase something...then they arrive to find that it was already sold.

and for me... if somebody is going to do that then are they being honest about the condition and care of the product? My guess is probably not!

I posted my DR200 three times and had dozens of inquiries. Only 3 people came out. The first one wanted it but told me he had just placed a deposit on another bike. He asked me what he should do! Then after several no shows, two buyers showed up within 2 minutes of each other. Neither was willing to pay my full price but I did have a bit of a mini auction between the two. The one that showed up second and drove the furthest was willing to pay more for the bike. I had two buyers show at the same time before and just given it to the first one to get there (when paying full price)

Unfortunately, buyers & sellers have made it all questionable. Many with appointments don't show, making the buyer wish they would've sold to the "I'll come over right now with cash" buyer. I can see both sides but IMO whatever the rules are should be clear. I put folks in line, appointment or not. If they called first, but can't get over 'til the next day, they still have priority. Take names and numbers of other interested buyers in case they're a no show. If somebody really wants it, they'll gladly get on a list. My personal ethics remain intact that way and it'll sell eventually.

Back on topic.....I agreed to buy a bike, sight unseen, four hours away. I was leaving the next morning at o'dark 30 so I called the night before to verify the deal was still on. No answer. Finally got ahold of the seller the next morning about 8 to find out the deal was a go, but was then told it didn't include the extra wheelset as listed. Still a good deal so I agreed to make the drive.....untill they said they wouldn't hold the bike....if somebody else locally showed up with cash, it was gone. WTF? They don't post here anymore.

On the humorous / glad this guy was on top of it side. I had a retired guy come to the office who works odd jobs off of CL for extra cash. He responded to a "driver" ad and emailed with the "important business guy" oversees, agreeing to drive his daughter around while she visited San Diego for a month. A deposit of advanced salary was agreed upon along with a complete salary for the month. The "driver" tried to locate the "businessman" via a phone number provided but it didn't go through. Excuses came via email, followed by a FedEx'd check....from someone in Texas.

I thanked the guy for not becoming a victim and we opened the FedEx envelope together.......a check for waaaaaaay over the agreed amount. I told the guy he'd get an email shortly apologizing for the overage and a request to return the excess funds. He agreed to send the "businessman" an email saying he dropped everything off with the police and not to contact him anymore.

Good outcome instead of the guy losing money. Glad he had some common sense.

Craigslist story? Me? Hmm. Let's see....short version.

KTM stolen from the side of the road with a broken sprocket. Bike is (too) heavily farkled, including 6.6 gallon Desert tank. I scanned the CLs in all areas- SD, LA TJ, IE, etc.

A week later, an ad appears wanting to trade a desert tank for stock plastics and a new sprocket.party.gif <<<there is no dunce cap smiley.

Couple quick texts and phone calls to my favorite LEO, and the guy is busted with my bike.

<<<there is no dunce cap smiley.

You need one of these, then: doh.gif

Bleeped :blink:

How's this for a roomate ad response....always makes me laugh when they give you their life story...next e-mail she'd probably say she'll send me a check for double the amount, then ask for a refund later (fake money order), or ask for my full name, address and paypal or bank account number...... :o:rolleyes:

Hello,

Thanks very much for e-mailing me back ,i really appreciate it, am

also sorry for getting back to you late.. I am Lisa Mcgee by name and

live in Seattle, WA. I would have been kind of happy if we can meet

before making any plans, but am very busy and i have a lot of things

to do right now.. I will really appreciate it if you can tell me more

about the place and tell me little about you because my uncle is

presently very sick, and i have to travel to Finland to see him but i

want to secure the place down before going. He was involved in a car

crash with his new car some weeks back and now ill seriously, I need

to check on him and take good care of him.

I am staying in CHRMC Children's Hospital Seattle staff Quarters now

The address is below:

4800 Sandpoint Way NE Seattle, WA 98105

I am moving cause of my job, am a medical Humanitarian nurse for

united Nations. I work for CHRMC Children's Hospital in Seattle but

will be working in a local clinic over there, More about me, am a neat

type of person, honest, humble and responsible. I like honest,

responsible and hardworking people while i hate the lazy, messy and

uncaring people....well am a quiet and gentle going person to live

with....I am 27 yrs old female, 5.4 in height ,i like tourism and i

don't keep late at nights neither i will have overnight guest around

but am ok if you do..

I was born and brought up in Finland, i studied there i had my

university education right there while staying with my uncle.. I lived

all my life in Finland before coming down to Seattle, WA have been

living with my uncle from age 13 ...Then i was member of the Red Cross

Association it really sounds interesting for me...

Am sure You 'll really like the person that i am ,because i will also

do the dishing if you like I work when i am to and relax when i am to,

I also like sharing my thoughts also....paying rent on time will not

be a problem as i will also be making the rent fee before the month

ends....

I do not have any pet, i really like dog and cat but have none of it

now, so there is no problem about that.

I must confess am comfortable with the price and I will want to secure

the place down before my arrival so i will want you to tell me all

about the place as i can't see it before my arrival but the

pictures...I also will want you to know that i have my car that i will

be coming over with little of my furniture.

please let me know if there will be room for them. With all that I've

said above I have told you more about me and more picture of mine will

be attach in the next email Let me also know how i can go about

securing the place down before my arrival as i will also be busy from

next week and let me know if you can take off the ad off the site as i

am going to secure the place with a deposit

Feel free to ask me any question and as I've said i am looking to move

in by the availability of the place but want to secured it now

Thanks..

I came across this ad a few years ago and copied it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

NINJA RIDERRR: 2003 Kawasaki Z1000 - $3700 (Oceanside, Ca)

Reply to: sale-yfeed-1138247614@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Date: 2009-04-24, 11:29AM PDT

OK, let me start off by saying this Z1000 is only available for purchase by the manliest of men (or women). My friend, if it was possible for a motorcycle to sprout chest hair and a five o'clock shadow, this Kawasaki would look like Tom Selleck. It is just that manly.

It was never intended to drive to the mall so you can pick up that adorable shirt at Abercrombie & Fitch that you had your eye on. It wasn't meant to transport you to yoga class or Linens & Things. No, that's what your Vespa is for. If that's the kind of motorcycle you're looking for, then just do us all a favor and stop reading right now. I mean it. Just stop.

This Motorcycle was engineered by 3rd degree ninja super-warriors in the highest mountains of Japan to serve the needs of the man that cheats death on a daily basis. They didn't even consider superfluous nancy boy amenities like navigation systems (real men don't get lost), heated leather seats (a real man doesn't let anything warm his butt), or On Star (real men don't even know what the hell On Star is).

No, this brute comes with the things us testosterone-fueled super action junkies need. It has a 953 cc engine to outrun the cops. It's got special blood/gore resistant seat. It even has a tool kit in the back. You know what the tool kit has in it? A pint of whiskey, a stitch-your-own-wound kit and a hunk of leather to bite down on when you're operating on yourself. The Z1000 also has a upright riding position so if you're being chased by Libyan terrorists, you'll still be able to shoot your machine gun and ride at the same time. It's saved my bacon more than once.

It has room for you and one hotty you just picked up on the way to the gym to blast your pecs and hammer your glutes. There's lots of storage in the back for your 50 caliber anti-Taliban, self cooling machine gun. I also just put in a new headlight to replace the one that got shot out by The Man.

My price on this bad boy is an incredibly low $3,700, but I'll entertain reasonable offers. And by reasonable, I mean don't walk up and tell me you'll give me $500 for it. That's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab. Would it hurt? Hell yeah. Let's just say you won't be the prettiest guy at the Coldplay concert anymore.

There's only 12,000 miles on this two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass. Trust me, it will outlive you and the offspring that will carry your name. It will live on as a monument to your machismo.

Now, go look in the mirror and tell me what you see. If it's a rugged, no holds barred, super brute he-man macho Chuck Norris stunt double, then contact me. I might be out hang-gliding or BASE jumping or just chilling with my ladies, but I'll get back to you. And when I do, we'll talk about a price over a nice glass of Schmidt while we listen to Johnny Cash.

To sweeten the deal a little, I'm throwing in this pair of MC Hammer pants for the man with rippling quads that can't fit into regular pants. Yeah, you heard me. FREE MC Hammer pants.

Rock on.

casey.gardiner@gmail.com

I came across this ad a few years ago and copied it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

NINJA RIDERRR: 2003 Kawasaki Z1000 - $3700 (Oceanside, Ca)

Reply to: sale-yfeed-1138247614@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Date: 2009-04-24, 11:29AM PDT

Now that is funny!

Here's another response to a roomate ad....I decided to respond to these in a very sarcastic manner....and of course, no response. Talk about a SCAM !

Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me. I do appreciate your response and the details(price) of the house,after i went to check the add again.My name is Sharon Pears,27 years old,fun-loving,outspoken, friendly, clean, caring, and respectful of others, a non-smoker,don't do drugs,drink occasionally,and drama free kind of person. I graduated last year from The university of Manchester, Manchester in UK...I am single and have no children,do bible studies on weekends and sometimes Karaoke nights with my roommates.Being a Christian I've never missed a Sunday without going to Church.I would love to secure the room for myself before my arrival to the state as I'll be moving in with my luggage.You seem to be a very interesting person to be with and I must confess to you that you will enjoy staying with me in the house because I make people smile always.I will be in the States before the end of next Month for the next one year as i am coming for my masters degree program-me. I was born in Manchester. (UK) and my Dad is from Texas (San Antonio) but has been living in Manchester for the past 20 years since my Mom is from Manchester.

I attended The university of Manchester,and I speak both German and English fluently,Am presently on research work in Luxembourg (Belvaux) on (HEALTHY ECOSYSTEM AND HEALTHY PEOPLE).And it is based on ecological services, sustainability, population growth or economics, but to Western’s Ecosystem Health Program, these factors are central to determining health outcomes. am almost done with that because its part of my prerequisite for my masters in Microbiology.I would have loved to call you but this is a remote area and calls is hard to go through from here and I don't want to waste much time .I'm really interested in renting from you and i do really love pets but i don't have any at the moment.

I would have loved to see the place but am very far away which makes it a little harder,but with some recent pictures i think I'll be good.I would love to know more about you and if you have garage or parking space as I will have my own car, pls let me know the total payment of the place and more over i will send your email to my Dad for him to email you later because he is the one that will be paying the bills but nevertheless,I will like you to send me your full Name and mailing address, your phone number as well,so that my Dad will issue out the payment to you from a United State Bank Cashier's Check (NOT OUT OF STATE CHECK).I will need the following information to have my Dad issue out the rental payment to you.

(1) Full name as it will appear on the payment.

(2) Physical Address

(3) phone number

Hope to hear from you soon

In response to a CL posting I recently had a reply along these lines: I'm interested in buying your bike and I'm happy to pay full price - I trust it is exactly as you described. I work on a ship and we are not allowed to use cell phones. I will have my shipper contact you to arrange for payment and pickup.... etc, etc. yeah, ok.

I've also had two guys agree to buy a bike and then turn around with a hard-luck story and ask me if I can finance it for them..!

Another common thing with CL is the number of flakes. I've recently had half a dozen scheduled viewings with interested parties who then never show up and never again respond to inquiries. It seems that virtually 100% of Cycle Trader ad responders are legit, while the opposite is true of CL ad responders. I've started including a note at the end of ads that says local, in-person, cash sales only.

I've started including a note at the end of ads that says local, in-person, cash sales only.

And don't forget "no trade for tattoos". :lol:

Hey Randy, I'd like to hear the very sarcastic response you sent them. :heh:

Ummmm, can't post it on this forum :lol:

Sold a '98 XR250 a while back. it was plated but not the most awesome street bike. Just barely street legal. Two guys show up in a Bentley. I thought they were at the wrong house. Turns out one of the guys is here (Valley Center) to buy the bike. He is from Huntington Beach. The guy in the Bentley leaves. I ask the buyer, how are you gonna get it to HB? I'm gonna ride it. OK. Well he did. Rode it in the dark from VC to HB. He did make it too. I had to call him about his address or something. I asked him how was the ride? He said fine. I just can't imagine riding a 250 up the I-5 in the dark.

Just last week I saw a beautiful bike on CL, sent e-mail and the poor girl just got divorced and was shipping out to Iraq, Hmmmm, so I responded with: I am getting on a plane ASAP with cash, give me your address I'll be there by the end of the day, suprise, no response.

Maybe is was not a scam , maybe she sold it or shipped out , yea right.

Wiser not more mature just wiser.