pyro

Pyro's Going Soft

Well I pyro'd almost everywhere for 5 years. Now it's time to extend my range a bit and open up some new options for the future. I'm going to sell my beloved '96 honda civic, and I am looking for a small pick-up truck so I can stick my bike in the back. I just started looking yesterday on cl. I think what I need is a toyota tacoma with an xtra cab or something similar. Requirements are that my bike fits in the back, goes 75mph, easy on gas, reliable and has enough leg room. I haven't checked the blue book on my honda yet, but ideally my new truck costs the same or less than what I can get from the civic.

I've never owned a pick-up, so I'm wondering if ya'll have any tips/recomendations for me. And also if anybody has one or knows someone that wants to get rid of one on the cheap.

This is good weather to make one want to have a truck. Great dirt riding weather, but not so hot for getting to the dirt. :rolleyes: I'd sell you my truck, but I'm not done having things break on it just yet. :lol:

Pyro- DON'T consider it "going soft"... you are expanding your opportunities

I love pickemup trucks... I have had once since 1983

chevy luv, ford courier, Datsun, Ranger, 250, 150, another 150... trucks are REALLY good to have

watch them in the rain though... back end likes to step out... like today

Trucks come in handy. Trucks will more than likely hold their value more than a 96 civic. Good time to be a buyer, deals are out there to be had. Good luck!

BajaandMimi046.jpgGet a hitch and trailer for your Honda. We get 27 MPG. in this pulling 2 bikes.

http://i492.photobuc...aandMimi046.jpg

I love this pic but pulling a trailer by law is 55mph and I love just loading the pickup and flying.

Where is that pic of 5 of us in my truck with 3 bikes in back and 2 on the double Joe Hauler going to Ridgecrest...Good Times...Joliet,Crusty,Rex Everything,Schwinn and??

Pyro, if you get a truck, doesn't mean you can start trucking your bike everywhere :lol::lol:

I went back in History on this site back to boat 440s " A Ride to Remember" and it appears there was 4 in my truck.

Here is a pic of Rex Everything going thru the window of my F-350 - 4 Door. LOL..On that ride.

rex.jpg

I'd be looking at Toyota, for sure. Higher price, but better reliability, and hold value better too. Or if you're looking at domestic, I'd be looking at full size, F150 to start. If you're just hauling the bike, half ton works fine, no need for diesel etc. In the domestic gasser trucks, both Ford and Chevy are comparable, both have good points and bad points, and it all evens out in the end. Find what you like, make sure it's been well maintained, and go for it.

If full size, I vouch for FORD....F-150...my '98 has 260,000+ miles on it, no issues. Triton 4.6 V-8, standard shift.

Troy- I have had nothing but good luck with ALL of my Fords too... my first got stolen, my second got totaled, my third I finally sold only because it was sitting in the field while I commuted in my Explorer, and my 4th I still drive...

as for the 150 vs small truck- if you can drive conservatively, I can get 21 miles per gallon from my 150 with the big V8... it would be much better if I didn't live in Alpine, with REALLY steep hills to my house and grammas house.

But you will HATE that gas mileage replacing a small Honda... a small truck will fit you fine, and gas mileage is much better

Up until my current minivan, I have had very good luck with Toyotas too... the stretch cab will help with the leg room and a place to store your stuff while on road trips; store runs, inclement weather, dining, etc. I can also store two disassembled mountain bikes in my back seat, with two motorcycles in the back and a kayak or surfboard on top... fun!

Yeah, don't think you can go wrong with Ford Rangers or Toyotas.

I couldn't imagine life without at least one Pickup Truck. I have a small 91 Toyota as my work truck, a 2007 Toyota Tacoma for commuting to Page and an 85 Ford F250 diesel for hauling a big boat. Like motorcycles they all have their purpose. One is not enough.

BajaandMimi046.jpgGet a hitch and trailer for your Honda. We get 27 MPG. in this pulling 2 bikes.

http://i492.photobuc...aandMimi046.jpg

I think I may be going soft also. ( comes with age :blush: ) My truck is geting checked out right now for major problems.

What is that rig. A Nissan -Kia -Hyndai- I hate say it but I like that set up.

I hate say it but I like that set up.

Look at the size of the tires on that trailer. My kids stroller has bigger tires! I agree with Schwinn. Truck or Van is the way to go. You can travel at 70+ going down the freeway with no worries or issues. Little trailers (especially single axle trailers) have to be maintained. Failure on a little trailer doing 60 can be catastrophic.

I couldn't imagine life without at least one Pickup Truck. I have a small 91 Toyota as my work truck, a 2007 Toyota Tacoma for commuting to Page and an 85 Ford F250 diesel for hauling a big boat. Like motorcycles they all have their purpose. One is not enough.

Completely opposite here. One bike for everything and one truck as a daily driver/ everything.

Completely opposite here. One bike for everything and one truck as a daily driver/ everything.

One bike for each finger and....oh, never mind! :coolio:

Pyro's going soft is not the best advertisement

for a single guy.

???

True. I suppose it's better than "Pyro's going soft..again".

Guest Crusty

I hate say it but I like that set up.

Look at the size of the tires on that trailer. My kids stroller has bigger tires! I agree with Schwinn. Truck or Van is the way to go. You can travel at 70+ going down the freeway with no worries or issues. Little trailers (especially single axle trailers) have to be maintained. Failure on a little trailer doing 60 can be catastrophic.

A friend built the trailer for FREE for me in 1994, no issues yet

I have a truck that I drive every day. It's nice to drive a car sometime.

It's much faster on the twisties than my truck, and costs 1/3 the price to drive.

I pull it with my PT. Cruiser on most trips, but don't have a picture.

I car pooled with Steve in his truck to CC last weekend. I had to listen to him telling me how great his KTM.

was the whole way. heh.gif

In the picture we went from Carlsbad to Corral Canyon, I liked driving it so much I kinda wished it was farther away.

We drove it to Oregon last month and Vegas last weekend. Loved it.

The car is a Kia Sportage. Wife wanted a Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus like the other RN's drive but I talked her into

a fully loaded Kia. 20.000.00$ less and gets 7 MPG. more I had to explain how we could use th 20G. to ride more

and go on more surf trips.

She loves it.coolio.gif

another vote for the pick-up...

I also have a trailer, but with gas sucking trailers, 55 mph speed limit (trailers are more closely scrutinized for speed IMO), and tail wag, I have loaded 4 bikes in the back of my truck, rather than deal with a trailer

with an enclosed trailer, I actually have acomfortable place to sleep for a long weekend, but I know some people just pop up a tent in the back of the truck and sleep there...

trucks are great... a 6 cylinder stretch cab should suit you very well Troy

put a piece of playwood in the back, with a cut out for your bike wheel... sleeping pad, bag and a tent

you'll love it

My oldest Daughter, Brittany, is getting married in a few weeks and moving to New York sometime before the end of the summer....

My soon to be son-in-law, Andy, is off-loading some items before they begin their trek across the U.S......he has a "project" F150 truck (runs fine but needs some TLC) and a street plated XR650R.......once I have the details on both I'll post the info......

Awesome! Thanks for all the advice and fun stories. A trailer is not really an option because I have no where to park it, but also it would be just one more thing that I don't really need and would just sit around most of the time. I didn't know about the 55mph rule. That's way to slow for me. Even a short trip would be a long one at that rate.

Blue book on the honda is high $3000, low $2000 so thats my optimal price range. If i find something really good and perfect for me I could throw in another grand or two, put preferably not. So within that price range it will probably be an older high mileage truck. Good to hear about the Fords. I didn't realize they'll go for that many miles. I thought only Toyota had that reputation.

Dude with a pickup you can to the country bars and get yourself a little bucklebunny, of coarse then you will need an enclosed trailer so said honey can polish said buckle out of the elements. Hell just get the big diesel, you'll wish you had.

Apoligies I have been camped at the Lakeside fair all week. Steak and dance tonight!

---- howdy I almost forgot my cowboy duds.