pyro

D606 Tire Chunking

Not long ago I slapped a new Dunlop D606 on the back of my bike. Yesterday I notice huge chunks missing, full knobs gone and many others badly damaged. All are in the center row. (I will post pictures of it when I get the tire back later today.)

So I took it back to Cycle Gear this morning to see what the policy is for return/exchange of defective merchandise. They said 'Where the heck you ride this thing'. I say 'where ever'. They say maybe I had too much tire pressure. Nope. Same tire pressure, same terrain, same tire I always run for 5 years now. Never had a problem.

They say there's too many factors and they can't do $hit for me. Unbelievable! $81.99 down the drain.

I'm very disappointed. Had to buy another tire. :angry:

For alot of stuff I use these guys http://www.performance-motorsports.net/ They are a Yamaha dealer (I ride a KTM), but I buy gloves, tires, oil ect. from them. I had a pair of gloves rip. No questions, told me go grap another pair. They have always taken care of me. When practical, they get my money. There service and attitude is worth the few extra bucks. I'm in Orange County and of all the places I have dealt with here, this is the only local place I have ever recommended. I buy OEM KTM parts online because I have yet to find a place around here worth a damn. Seems all the dealers here charge retail or retail+ (Yes, Mission Motorsports in Irvine charges more than retail for parts!!!!) and act like they are doing you a favor just talking to you.

Whenever I deal with a smaller, individually owned motorcycle shop, they tend to talk with the manufacturer to see if they can do anything, like checking it out for defects.

Cycle Gear is corporate.

Bummer man, you need to use another bike :)

Look at the date stamp on the tire to verify it is not old.

Bummer man, you need to use another bike :)

My ktm didn't shred it's tire on the same terrain. Maybe he needs a ktm?

He does not have a garage to work on a KTM, thats why he rides a KLR :)

Yep saved the tire. Here's some pics:

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

IMG_2431.jpg

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

Yikes: My 690 came with D606 on rear. It never chunked but I didnt like it cuz it was so hard so now I have Moto Zs. You can have mine for future use if I can find it.

He does not have a garage to work on a KTM, thats why he rides a KLR :)

Now that's funny. I dont care who you are or what you ride.

I actually had the same thing happen to me on a 606 I put on a Honda XL a while back. The problem wasn't the tire but the chain was actually too short. The tire was too close to the front of the swing arm. When the tire spun the center of the tire expanded and hit the front of the swing arm and knocked chunks out of the center of the tire. Damage looked a lot like yours. Added a couple of links to the chain and the problem was solved.

This is one of the reasons that I always use a credit card for everything. Any problem, and I can call up my credit card company and dispute it. Nothing gets the sellers attention faster than finding out that they aren't getting paid on an item. On the other hand, if it's been too long or you didn't pay with a credit card, I guess that your only recourse would be to contact Cycle Gear corporation with your complaint and see how that goes. Corporate never likes to hear about poor customer service and might be interested in finding out what store and manager you were dealing with.

One ride on new but old aged tire...

Jacumba8-22-2009011.jpg

yikes....I've run 606 rears and always loved them...but hearing this makes me wonder...

If someone knows, could they post a reminder on How to read the manufacturing date on a tire?....and if moto tires are marked similar to car tires as far as date goes?.....a good thing to check after seeing those pics :blink:

Well I bought another one and put it on today. That's how much I love these tires. I probably went through 25 or 30 rear tires and 15 fronts over the lifespan of my last bike. Never any problems at all. That's why it seems obvious to me that this one was defective, and the right way to treat a loyal customer is to go the extra mile. They should have apologized, given me a free replacement, and mounted/balanced it while I was there waiting. None of that happened.

It seems like Dunlop would replace it no questions asked, so the dealer should have been out in front of the ball and making the extra effort to keep a good customer happy. It's no secret that you can get anything online these days and usually cheaper with less hassle. The only reason to go to a store is if you need it right now, or you want some customer service.

I read on Thumpertalk someone had same problem. They went through online retailer. The tire was replaced with no questions asked. He just had to send them the ruined one.

Maybe you could print that thread, and bypass cycle gear?,,go to dunlop....bet kelly could give you a dunlop contact?...good luck....hope they come through for you....I'd like to hear that too, because I love these tires as well..

Interesting, my rear 606 is losing the knobs on the edges, I don't think I'm real tough on tires but I am kind of a "whiskey throttle" ( heard that term at the Desert Dash )kind a guy. Maybe the tire compound has changed. Maybe my 450 just has to much power, yea I'm sure thats it. I don't know I quess you'll just have to see what the new one do's.

Knobless.

Guest Crusty

I would try to take it back, ask them to send it back to Dunlop.

I had the same thing happen to a kenda tire that I bought from Rocky Mountain. They had me send it to them, I got another tire delivered to my door in a week.

Look at the date stamp on the tire to verify it is not old.

+1

yikes....I've run 606 rears and always loved them...but hearing this makes me wonder...

If someone knows, could they post a reminder on How to read the manufacturing date on a tire?....and if moto tires are marked similar to car tires as far as date goes?.....a good thing to check after seeing those pics :blink:

If you look closely you will find a four-digit number stamped into the sidewall of your tire. It will read something like 4408 or 2101. What do these numbers mean? Well, a 4408 means the tire was manufactured during the 44th week of 2008. 2101 means the tire was manufactured the 21st week of 2001. Years prior to 2000 have a one-digit number to reflect the year, and after 2000, a two-digit number is used.

thanks ken.....I did use to know that, but had forgotten...good to keep an eye on the dates and not assume they aren't selling old tires.