oldbeachguy

Need help picking new bike?

This is my first real post I'm looking for some advise. After many years of not riding I got a DRZ-400. It feels top heavy, hard to throw into a turn, power is not an issue. I am sure that, I am some of the problem (it comes with age). I feel that at 300 plus pounds the DRZ is just heavy. I rode my sons KTM-125SX this week and what a difference, not the constant fighting of the steering. At my 225 pounds a 125 will not work for me. I am thinking a TE310 or TE450? I was looking at a 2010 model year TE310. Maybe a 2010 or used TE450? I plan on riding maybe once a month 95% off road. Any Husky riders have any thoughts.

Thanks, Ron

My suggestion would be:

TE450 or KTM450/525/530

A jet kit would be a good first upgrade, lotta torque in those bikes for a guy your (an my) weight.

For a do-it-all bike with a license plate, get the TE450 or 510. If you want a nimble trail bike with a license plate get a TE310. I'm 200lbs and my TE250 works for me in everything except BIG sandy hill climbs and on the HWY. A 310 kit would solve my BIG sandy hill climb issue.

I've had a TE450 for about four years now. Not as much low end as the KTM of the same size, but plenty of power further up in the powerband. The handling and stability is great! The engines are non-finicky about oil type, as long as you change the oil every 500 miles and the filter every 1000 miles. The valves don't get out of adjustment very often. I am closing in on 7500 miles on mine and we'll see if I finally have to do an adjustment at the inspection. They have their quirks, but are very good, solid and reliable machines. And of course, there is a whole website devoted to them; Cafe Husky.

If most of my riding were going to be very technical trails like big bear, I would go with a 310, but most of my riding seems to be similar to the desert dash. I would purchase another 510 in a minute for that type of riding. Like the old saying, "it will pass everything but a gas station". I only get about 30mpg, but it is a fun 30mpg. If we are on a ride together, we can trade bikes for a while. Ken

"off road" is such a broad spectrum

basically, the tighter the trails, the smaller/lighter I would suggest... a 250/310 is a great bike for tight singletrack like we rode at Lark this weekend

a 450/510 is a great bike for the open faster desert type trails

The DRZ IS a bit large, but is a good all around bike, especially for people less inclined to turn a lot of wrenches... but they build character

The TE line are some of the nicest looking bikes around (to me)... I have never ridden one, but got to eat a lot of roost from you (thanks sneeker)

How is the engine vibration on the Husky vs the KTM? I test rode a 450 Husky '08 in 2010 and it vibrated a lot. Is that common?

How is the engine vibration on the Husky vs the KTM? I test rode a 450 Husky '08 in 2010 and it vibrated a lot. Is that common?

The short stroke engine on Husqvarna models, as with those on most bikes with short stroke engines are buzzier than bikes with a longer stroke engine.

My Husky vibrates about the same as my KTM did. It is noticeable on pavement but in the dirt I don't notice it.

My Husky vibrates about the same as my KTM did. It is noticeable on pavement but in the dirt I don't notice it.

That's how my 640 was, and now my 620. Paint shakers on the highway, not much in the dirt.

My friend Gary K. just got a Husky 310 for Christmas...wife surprised him, nice present.

He was on the Dash with his son Noah. Gary had trouble deciding whether to ride his BMW HP2 (which he rides really well) or the 310. He took the 310....he loves the bike, says it has good power....he's not 225lbs, but he's not a small guy either.

I would consider a 310 myself in the future.

Make sure to talk to Paul (owner of GP) at GP Motorcycles downtown San Diego. Tell him you're on SDAR.

I recommend GP Motorcycles as a good shop for parts and service.

If vibration is a concern, you can ride my KTM 625 SXC on the freeway at 80mph for 90 minutes. After that you will not notice the vibration of the Husky or newer KTM.

I only get about 30mpg, but it is a fun 30mpg.

Ken and I were talking about this at the Dash.. I have an 09 510 and get 35ish mpg.. I have the 3 gallon IMS and get a minimum of 100 miles out a tank.

The bike rocks.. I am at 3000 miles on mine and have been completely happy. No valve adjustment has been needed to date and the stock suspension has held up until now.

I ride every type of riding I can Dual sport, Motocross, Supermoto, fast and smooth to tight and technical.

I have ridden a couple of friends KTM's and they are equally awesome..

When I bought my Husky I had intended to buy a KTM and decided to go the Husky route due to the Fuel Injection.

I think you will be happy either way you go.

I have an '08 TE450. The one thing I will say about it is that I'm constantly going over it for loose bolts. The upside is that the bike runs surprisingly well with a lot of missing and/or loose bolts. :wacko:

Yes, I'm a fan of Loctite, but the bike treats it like toothpaste.

Can't comment on the modern bikes but all my vintage Honda XL's (1978-1987, I have 8 of them) have counterbalance shafts which make the engine slightly heavier but very smooth. If this is a priority you might look into bikes which use this feature in their engine designs.

My TE250 has no real vibration, no more than an XR250. No problem with loose bolts...yet. I rode a TE450 once and it vibrated A LOT on the pavement.

My TE250 has no real vibration, no more than an XR250. I rode a TE450 once and it vibrated A LOT on the pavement.

Hmmmmm.....you don't say.... :whistle:

Gary doesn't love the bike. He REALLY *^%&$^#^ LOOOOOVES it!

My friend Gary K. just got a Husky 310 for Christmas...wife surprised him, nice present.

He was on the Dash with his son Noah. Gary had trouble deciding whether to ride his BMW HP2 (which he rides really well) or the 310. He took the 310....he loves the bike, says it has good power....he's not 225lbs, but he's not a small guy either.

Interesting thoughts on bikes for the original poster....

Since it's a once a month bike, used 95% for off-road.... a street legal bike is necessary, or not so much?!

... sometimes that 5% is just to jump across the local roadway, or you could be speaking of off-road as in OHV areas or "plated areas" like Anza Borrego. Very broad.

Personally, I'd never buy another Husky.

... I owned the '06 plated TE510, and bought all kinds of cool stuff for it and for me to wear. Even had the suspension done, obtained a GPR stabilizer... big tank... yellow to white plastics.... etc.etc.. I sold two Hondas (650R and a 450R) to get it (afford it), and was excited to own something other than the "norm" Jap bike. However, once I rode it... and used it as intended, it continued to fail me in the oddest of places with the weirdest of ailments. In fact, I went back to GP and told them of my issues, asking if they were covered under the 2yr warranty. "Nope" said Paul, "I know how your riding it and where... it's not made for that and we won't warranty it". HUH?! I guess pre-running for the Baja 1000 wasn't what it was made for (off-road riding)? .... I sold it 6 months after owning it, and went back to my Hondas never looking back. I hope Husky has cured those odd-balls I had, as I see many of them on the trail today.

I now own a cadillac of a bike, with great power... and it's plated. A CRF450X. I'd be hard pressed to own anything else.

If it were me (and I didn't know anything about plating a bike), I'd look hard at a KTM450EXC or the 525 (solely as they are already plated from factory, and a decent ride).

... why this bike? Mostly due to your size and wanting the bike to feel "light and flickable". I think the smaller displacement bikes can feel powerful and get you places that the bigger bikes will, however you have to run the piss outa' them to get the same result. The power of the bigger displacement, in my opinion... helps the bike feel a bit lighter overall. Of course there's a happy medium, and as an example my pimped out XR400 is a tug boat in weight with the power of a dingy. Not what I'd be recommending in your case for your "wants and desires".

Do you have a budget, or is it wide open? New or used?

If looking at KTM EXC's the 2008 has new chassis and motor and quite a few issues, I have one so do know, 09 was quite a lot better, 10 a little better again, 08 can be fixed and mine is great, now although if I decide to keep it for another year there are a list of things I will do. Mine runs strong but EFI is the future and my compromise jetting works OK over local temperature and elevation changes but nothing like an EFI bike. I had opportunity to ride rexr 510 Husky last year and was very impressed, Husky gearbox was better, my KTM motor seemed to have more bottom end and my KTM (revalved) suspension was better but bother very similar overall.

As to capacity a 450/530 should feel like a baby after your current bike so I would go with that unless you intend to ride primarily tight single track. That being said I have spent some time on a friends 09 250 XCF KTM and was very surprised at how good and fun it was. It doesn't have much bottom end but enough for most situations unless you are way in wrong gear, but to be quick you need to ride it like a 125. He has now upgraded to 280 with big bore kit and that has helped make it more forgiving when your tired, I imagine 310 Husky to be similar but better.

Final point is what your goals are with new bike, riding a 310 will make you a better rider long term as you'll learn correct gear selection, clutch control, body position to get through obstacles at reasonable speed that on 450+ bike you could be lazy and not really improve. As I never really use/need DS capability I know I would have been better starting off after 20 years not riding getting a KTM or Husky 250F even though I was heavier than you I would have learnt more, and quicker which was my goal. Now if you can ride your sons 125 KTM to improve riding skills when you wish then definately go for the bigger bike.

2011 570 Husaberg is about best DS do it all bike for around here if you can afford it IMO, thats the only bike I would go to from my updated 08 530 as significant improvement.

Funny we had this same discussion at the dash, while I would really like to be one of the cool guys on Orange and I secretly lusted after Rexr's Husky I don't think I use 80% of my bikes capabilitys. I also bought Honda because of my track record with the brand ( not race track ),I wanted reliabilty and good parts support. I am 210 plus gear and a huge gas tank and my 450x pulls and pulls, no overheat no weird breakdowns far from help, and when I crash it starts and goes again without whining. If I could ride better the bike could handle it- think Baja wins, oh yeah it crosses rivers too. At least think about Honda.

Thanks for all information. I stoped at GP Motorcycles on the way home today and spoke with Paul (nice guy). I am still going back and forth. I guess I have a lot to mull over. The DRZ will work till I can make a decision.

Thanks again, Ron

One other alternative if you don't need something immediately is 350 KTM, I would imagine they will have a DS EXC version in 2012 model line up which we may see around July.

Thanks for all information. I stoped at GP Motorcycles on the way home today and spoke with Paul (nice guy). I am still going back and forth. I guess I have a lot to mull over. The DRZ will work till I can make a decision.

Thanks again, Ron

for what it's worth... I would keep the DRZ until you are sure about what "your best ride" is. If all I rode was Lark and Corral, I would get a 250F... If all I rode was Ocotillo Wells and Superstition, I would get a 450F... If I rode lots of Big Bear, Bishop and open Desert, I would get FI... If I wanted to put it on the track...yada yada yada

A DRZ (with gearing changes) really CAN do almost everything (I wouldn't take a stock bike on the track)... spend some time riding open desert, Lark Singletrack, and Jacumba on a DRZ, and most other bikes feel easy.

I got my WR450F because I figured it could do EVERYTHING (except freeway I guess) better than the DRZ. I would put the Husky 450/510 in the same category.

I will also echo somebody Johnny's thoughts... the plate is nice, but if you're in OHV areas any way, you can get a green sticker bike for a lot cheaper. Selling a used DRZ is basically losing a bunch of money anyway... keep the DRZ and get a Green Sticker 250F or 450F