kkug

Warner Springs to Anza Polar Bear Ride

Im back --I have to take a hot shower. I hope everyone made it home ok.

Later

I'm home- the vest was a lifesaver, because I was still really cold.

Pics to follow, maybe.

Mayhem & I chose to bail after arriving at Anza. I had my first trail flat....of course it was the rear on the DR650. I praised my heated grips all day. About 200 miles round trip from the homestead as I met Matt and we put Black Canyon in the route out to Warner Springs.

We managed to dodge all but a few raindrops on the way back after a nice hot lunch at Warner Springs Golf resort.....uhm...,while the rest of the crew was on Thomas Mtn.

Thx to the Kug for leading a great, albeit DARN COLD ride. I can't wait to see the Mtn pics as it looked nasty from Anza. Good to meet a bunch of new (to me) folks.

CIMG2024.jpg

Black Canyon.....7:30 ish AM.

CIMG2025.jpg

CIMG2026.jpg

I had a great time. Other than it being cold. And bending the crap out of my brake pedal... that happens every ride... Trophy is an animal! He rode from Anza to Ramona with about 5 psi in his rear tire. I am definitely going to get a pair of those heated grips that Trophy has. He let me check them out from The Hideout to Warner Springs. Unbelievable .... those AND the pumper carb. Great job Modding that DR..... anyways, I don't want to hijack...

I can't believe how many riders showed up this morning. 14? Wow! Good times!

KKug, Thanks for leading the ride, a bit chilly and wet, but still an enjoyable "first group ride". Glad to meet some of the guys and put some faces with the names. Looking forward to riding with all of you again when you come toward Anza and Idyllwild.

Yes indeed quite a ride. Thanks for every one showing up. Big turnout. I brought a contingent of 4 non SDAR riders along. I shure glad I took my pickup. In the morning when I saw Troupyhunter he was already frozen. The guys that rode their bikes out are some tough mothers.

We cringed when we were driving home and saw how much it was raining .Knowing two guys were riding home in those conditions.

I don,t think many pictures were taken becouse everyone had frozen hands. We did 93 miles from the big tree and back. Took a spin up Thomas Mtn.kind of fogy, misty ,and some sleet. Came down and stoped at Concina Del Charo to warm up and eat.

Thanks again

P.S. isde97 gave us a semanar on how to ride a 990 KTM. He smokes with that thing.

Trophy is an animal! He rode from Anza to Ramona with about 5 psi in his rear tire.

After all the help from Mayhem, Bum & Digdug with the tire change, we all said "looks good" and I didn't check the pressure. The corners were juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit squirrely so I aired up in Ramona.......duh. Thank goodness for the stiff sidewalls on the Michelin T63's.....

Ditto on Matt's 950 handling.......

Total miles 220. Good ride, bad weather. We met up at the airport. It was a big turnout. I don't have many pics. I thought I took more.

Ken fixing his flat.

jan2011045.jpg

Ken and Matt were well prepared.

jan2011046.jpg

Thomas Mountain

It has just started snowing. We all thought it was neat at the moment. Conditions just deteriorated from there. It turned into freezing rain and wind.

jan2011047.jpg

The ride home was a little Hellish. It came down on us for a while. We took Black Canyon into Ramona just to punish ourselves a little, then home.

Thanks Ken(Kkug) for leading.

WHAT is the tool supporting the right side of the bike while doing the tire repair?

Thanks!

Ken fixing his flat.

jan2011045.jpg

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380877

It was a Crawdaddy find.....used it a few times now....works well. I know Bum made one out of a crutch. Here is the C-daddy post with some ideas in it.

I have that one also, but found it a little bulky to pack, since the base is welded and all. While searching ADV, I came across this one, and like it much better. Collapses down to a much smaller, easier to pack lift.

Essentially, I've used both, the both work great, and it was just a matter of packing it up.

Jim

WHAT is the tool supporting the right side of the bike while doing the tire repair?

Thanks!

Ken fixing his flat.

jan2011045.jpg

Is that your Bead Breaker tool Ken? How did it work out?

Great ride despite the weather! I guess next time I should pack my cold weather gear (and actually wear the stuff I brought along rather than leave it in the truck!).

I haven't downloaded the pictures yet - will do that hopefully this evening.

Thanks for putting on a good ride!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380877

It was a Crawdaddy find.....used it a few times now....works well. I know Bum made one out of a crutch. Here is the C-daddy post with some ideas in it.

I have that one also, but found it a little bulky to pack, since the base is welded and all. While searching ADV, I came across this one, and like it much better. Collapses down to a much smaller, easier to pack lift.

Essentially, I've used both, the both work great, and it was just a matter of packing it up.

Jim

Cue the Crawdaddy poop-bucket tire-changing stand in:

It was great meeting all of you! Boy that was a COLD one! From where Bob and I left you guys to go down Rouse Hill it was pure raining hell all the way home, I did a total of 135 miles. took all of 4 pics...

meeting in WS

groupv.jpg

waiting for flat repair

group2e.jpg

thomas mtn

group3t.jpg

group4f.jpg

Beadbreaker - pushed one side off pronto...then it was a battle trying to get the other side to unseat (DR rims have an internal lip on the bead seating area). Two guys standing on the bead and a couple working the irons and the other side broke loose. Next time I'll put a wrench across the rim and tire on the opposing side for a firm base to pry against for the second bead.

Thx to Doug for sweeping all day and keeping the head count in check.

I have some videos of the ride. If I can get a chance, ill post them after I upload them. I'll try to get them uploaded tonight.

Had a great time (except for I still can't feel my fingers!!). It was a good workout since I had not ridden for 1 1/2 years. Look forward to more rides!!

XTSTEVE

Had a great time (except for I still can't feel my fingers!!). It was a good workout since I had not ridden for 1 1/2 years. Look forward to more rides!!

XTSTEVE

Steve you did great -just like old times right. I hope your fingers come back to life. :(

XR650Lbum,

Try this routine:

Sign In to My Account - Share Tab - Create Shared Page - Page Name - Public - Create

Once created: Go to Shared Page - Manage Shared Page - Click on the Page Name

This brings up your shared page with whatever transmissions you have sent within the time frame you set,

Save the command line in your favorites banner for future reference. Copy and paste in postings to share.

party.gif

Thanks for the info on the bike stand tool. Hmmm...