LucidMayhem

Broken Gas Tank.... Can I fix?

My daughter has a '98 KTM SX Pro Jr. and today she ran it into the back of my truck :ph34r: ,... putting a good split in the gas tank. I have attached pictures. Is there a way to mend it?? JB weld? Quiksteel? Torch? Any suggestions are welcome. She doesn't race it, and a "new" tank is $200... <_<

2011-01-16_11-00-48_997.jpg

2011-01-16_11-01-04_371.jpg

2011-01-16_12-12-31_782.jpg

2011-01-16_12-12-17_929.jpg

2011-01-16_12-11-57_218.jpg

2011-01-16_12-11-46_774.jpg

I've helped mend a cracked river kayak using plastic shavings (from a local kayak manufacturer) and a torch. Seemed to work fairly well, especially if its not in a high stress area.

Not sure where you'd find plastic shavings for a tank, but I'd at least try a torch. I don't think a heat gun would be hot enough. Just be sure there aren't any fuel vapors still in the tank!

After that you might try and find a fuel proof epoxy.

Do a google search on "Plastic Weld" there are several companies that can make the damage completely disappear or you can do it yourself with about $45 worth of tools and supplies.

I have done this several times in the past, but never on an offroad bike.

I would not fix a plastic tank fractured that badly.

Vessels of highly volatile liquids in close proximity to my child always deserve a higher safety specification than those of my own.

I would absolutely, positively not repair that tank.

eBay?

I agree with bowers...plastic weld fenders and side panels...not a big section of gas tank like that

Yeah its pricey, but don't mess with gas...new or used

Don't know if the law is still the same as in the past. I suspect it has has changed. But for many years only steel tanks were legal on street legal bikes. They dent, not crack open like plastic tanks. Plastic could only be used on offroad bikes for a good reason! I am still wary of using plastic tanks on the street. You could end up in a fireball with a minor getoff. Regardless of what the law is today I wouldn't mend the tank. Get a new one that has been tested to survive laying down the bike on pavement. Looks like your's didn't survive something.

Torch on a fuel tank is a bad idea no mater how well you clean it out the gas gets into the plastic. That crack is in a terrible spot as well, you may not know its leaking till its to late if it runs down the inside of the frame onto the motor or header??? As was stated before safety first for the young ones. I will see if i can find you a tank on the cheap as RJ has a lot of contacts in the mini world.

After some thought .... I agree , $200 is a small price to pay for the safety of my child. It seems my mind has been made up for me. Thanks guys.

If you can find me a deal hobiee, I would be grateful. I found an OEM tank on bike bandit for $205. I don't know about the law, if plastic tanks are legal or not. The bike in question is definitely not street legal.

Don't know if the law is still the same as in the past. I suspect it has has changed. But for many years only steel tanks were legal on street legal bikes. They dent, not crack open like plastic tanks. Plastic could only be used on offroad bikes for a good reason! I am still wary of using plastic tanks on the street. You could end up in a fireball with a minor getoff. Regardless of what the law is today I wouldn't mend the tank. Get a new one that has been tested to survive laying down the bike on pavement. Looks like your's didn't survive something.

Sorry homey, but the Metal Tanks are a death trap... big time. About 2005/6 (When I was still Racing) the R6 had an issue. You crash, they catch fire. Metal sparks. Then again I saw this many time on the Race Track but never on the street, but I know it happened. Yamaha had a MAJOR design issue and was forced to put a plastic piece (Tank Shroud) over the metal tank.

That said, I was not advocating Plastic Weld, but it works. My call would be to buy a replacement, but some people do not have that option.

take it or call OEX kayak in mission bay, ask for C.J. tell him Tommy Gomes sent you, ask him if he can fix it.

I,m sure he can

Don't know if the law is still the same as in the past. I suspect it has has changed. But for many years only steel tanks were legal on street legal bikes. They dent, not crack open like plastic tanks. Plastic could only be used on offroad bikes for a good reason! I am still wary of using plastic tanks on the street.

Yes, all the new KTM, Beta and Husqvarna dualsport models all have OEM plastic gas tanks on them. Seems like all the Japanese bikes still have steel tanks though.

Once upon a time, there was a Plastic Welding Shop operating next to Moto Forza of Escondido.

Sorry homey, but the Metal Tanks are a death trap... big time. About 2005/6 (When I was still Racing) the R6 had an issue. You crash, they catch fire. Metal sparks. Then again I saw this many time on the Race Track but never on the street, but I know it happened. Yamaha had a MAJOR design issue and was forced to put a plastic piece (Tank Shroud) over the metal tank.

That said, I was not advocating Plastic Weld, but it works. My call would be to buy a replacement, but some people do not have that option.

"homey"? Argumentum ad Hominem. Neither argument nor evidence for anything.

I am sure plastic technology has improved over the years but metal sparks on pavement can be caused by any metal part. Metal tanks don't need my support, manufacturers have had their own research to justify using them. The photos posted above speak for themselves.

"Homey" is a colloquial greeting, intending to show, that although they have differing viewpoints, they have a common ground

Don- I was thinking the same thing...although racebikes tend to use little steel/iron...lots of plastic/aluminum/ti/carbon fiber...there is still plenty of things to cause sparks

As for the original question- I'm sure a professional repair job would hold fine...I just wouldn't do it "personally" with my kids tank. As someone pointed out; if that repair were to fail near the front, you have dripping gas and fuel vapors right next to the pipe...how silly I would feel if I opted for a cheaper repair (than $200) and ended up with a totaled bike and a kid in the burn ward. Not being melodramatic, just sayin'...

I know that is "worst case scenario"...

No, I agree Bob. Its already been ordered... now they are saying that its back ordered... Dammit! I guess she'll have to wait. She was already asking me about riding today... Kids are great.

"Homey" is a colloquial greeting, intending to show, that although they have differing viewpoints, they have a common ground

Don- I was thinking the same thing...although racebikes tend to use little steel/iron...lots of plastic/aluminum/ti/carbon fiber...there is still plenty of things to cause sparks

As for the original question- I'm sure a professional repair job would hold fine...I just wouldn't do it "personally" with my kids tank. As someone pointed out; if that repair were to fail near the front, you have dripping gas and fuel vapors right next to the pipe...how silly I would feel if I opted for a cheaper repair (than $200) and ended up with a totaled bike and a kid in the burn ward. Not being melodramatic, just sayin'...

I know that is "worst case scenario"...

Thanks for enlightening me on the definition of "homey".

I know this is anecdotal but....

I have steel tanks on most of my bikes but I still have and use a couple of 30 year old large capacity Husky desert tanks made by Don Vesco and Malcolm Smith. Both have cracked and leaked very easily. One got a handlebar poked through it when another bike on my trailer fell on it and four gallons of gas spilled all over the trailer. I have tried to limit using them to when I really need the extra capacity. Never had a steel tank leak, crack or break. Dented up, crumple....yes, but never leak or break.

By the way....I have a (modern) John Deer weed whip with a cracked (modern)plastic tank. Anybody got a fix for it? :blush:

By the way....I have a (modern) John Deer weed whip with a cracked (modern)plastic tank. Anybody got a fix for it? :blush:

weedcutter.jpg

weedcutter.jpg

Well done, Bravo Zulu to you!