TrophyHunter

Otay Mtn Saturday Jan 15

A lot of choices this weekend but I have local committments so here's another alternative.

Basically THIS RIDE Once near the border fence, we'll be headed East along the fence and drop into Marron Valley. Loop near the water crossing (will allow time for those wanting to do it but if you go across - ya gotta come back). We'll find our way back to Doghouse Junction and then down to Pio Pico where we launched from. We can discuss the route back to Starbucks...either the same one or Honey Springs to Lyons Valley Rd...in the back way through Jamul.

Meet Location Ready to Ride 9:30 AM

Starbucks Meet Location Ready to Ride 9:00 AM Next to Petco & Taste of Italy. DO NOT confuse with the other 2 on Jamacha. The "A" marker is a little left of the Starbucks and is actually covering it a bit.

Times will vary a little but we'll do our best to launch at 9. It's about 20 minutes to the RV Camp where we'll do a rider/safety briefing...then up the mountain.

Experience level: Upper beginner/ Low Intermediate welcome. There are plenty of dirt roads with drop offs on one side. Street licensed bikes only. Top off before launching from Starbucks.

If you want. you can truck to the Starbucks. The ride will end by Rancho SD and parking will be available at STARBUCKS.

Please be self sufficient as you can (tubes, wrenches for your axles, etc). DO NOT miss the ride if you're not fully equiped. We will do our best to get you through IF there's a mechanical issue.

Figure 0900 launch from STARBUCKS or 0930 at the RV Camping area.

Plan for about 4 hours.

Plz post if you're coming and if you have a radio. I am not tracking who will be meeting at each location, just a general number/name of riders.

I will use this thread for updates.

Riding

Me

amsterdam

kkug

David - Trophyson

Dan

Papasmurf

Orangeblood

CVRick

LucidMayhem

Keep an eye out... I may be in the area with some friends on 'another adventure'.

.... Grey and red bike, with mostly blue gear. Watch those blind corners!!

I'm in! This ride seems more appropriate for my skills level (last Saturday I felt the sand was eating my bike instead of me riding it :wacko: but I had a nice ride back to SD. I especially enjoyed the dirt road between Lake Henshaw and Ramona, it's beautiful and very quiet.)

Been wanting to do this ride for sometime now, but somehow the pics from the previous ride leads be to believe most of the ride is paved gravel or does it have a mix of trails? Is it like viejas grade rd?

I'm signed up for the desert ride this sat. since i've been wanting to do fish creek, but time is a bit early.

The ride is dirt roads, sorta rocky dirt roads and more dirt roads....hence the ride rating. Riding from Pine Valley culdesac to Kernan is more challenging.

The only caution on this ride is there are dropoffs at the roads edge which unnerves some folks. Other than that, it's a dirt road. Haven't been up there since the heavy rains so there might be some washouts to deal with....but it's usually maintained pretty well.

ok, thanks for the heads up Trophy. I'll probably try and make the desert ride.

Hope to ride/catch up on another ride.

Ken; thanks for leading another ride of the Otay area...to any "fence sitters"...despite the trail rating, be assured this is a memorable ride. The views can be incredible, there is some nice history and some cool little stopping points. It is a good ride, and I've had fun every time I go.

I would love to ride sweep that day, but have a gig in Covina and the timeline looks a little tight. Ya'll have fun and DO watch the blind corners...keep to your side of the road and still be aware for border patrol or jat coming from the other direction...other than that, its a piece of cake...and who doesn't like cake?!?! I do!!!

Ken - hope you can make it. Give u a chance to try the DR if ya want.

Johnny - I'll be the guy with saucer eyes and a wedgie. :lol:

Ken do you think that it will be big bike friendly after the rains?

Johnny - I'll be the guy with saucer eyes and a wedgie. :lol:

heh.gif ... and fyi; the roads aren't too bad. As long as you stay on the main roads and don't "venture off" too far.

I did catch myself wandering into other thoughts as PastaPilot and I last rode out there, on our way out (on the easy stuff) and nearly went down. My front end washed out at the entry into a curve... from the inside tire of a vehicle creating that little berm effect. It just goes to show, PAY ATTENTION even on the EASY stuff!! I knew better.... dry.gif

Bowers may have current info but I've never seen it anything but big bike friendly....even after last years rains. We rode it with water running on it with no probs.

I rode up from thousand trails around to the 905 on my DR last weekend. Like Bob said, amazing views! The road wasn't washed out on that side. I didn't ride the border road at all though. I saw that the border patrol was out in force so I figured, being a lone wolf, I'd better stay on the safe path.

I think I might be able to make this one. Bald tire and all. :)

Bowers may have current info but I've never seen it anything but big bike friendly....even after last years rains. We rode it with water running on it with no probs.

Yes, back in the day when I had a motorcycle, I found the ride to be big-bike friendly. But as Johnny pointed out, even the road can fool you big bike or small. As of Saturday I found few if any challenges on the main roads.

It is for sure a fun ride....I'd join you but will be at KOA.....

and the Water crossing (a big one) should also be refreshing... You guys have FUN

emoticon-transport-002.gif

This ride sounds great.....as I look out my hotel window in Detroit, MI with a temp of 25 and snow falling, all I can think about is Sunny SD

I get in late tomorrow night ( providing no airport delays ) and with a little maintenance I should be up and running

Do you think you will be coming up Skyline past Lawson Valley on the way , I can jump right in... or I will see you at SB

Look forward to making it happen

- I will confirm Friday early evening

Dan, hope you can make it. We'll be taking 94 to Otay Lakes so not on STT starting out. Most likely finish backwards on Otay Lakes, short hop to Honey Springs and across to STT.

See ya Saturday!

My wife said I had to go, so I will be there. I am a lucky man, my wife encourages me to get out and ride and have fun.

My wife said I had to go, so I will be there. I am a lucky man, my wife encourages me to get out and ride and have fun.

That's awesome. I'm slowly getting my wife to be the same way. It's great.

I worked from home. But I am sorta in limbo, since I am expanding my company. Just got the city of San Clemente to sign off, Now I need The Storm water people and then EPA Then finally DMV. Big hassle doing it by the book. More like Buy the book, everyone just wants some money. So Since I haven't been working 12 hours a day in the garage I am bugging her. She runs a home business too. She has always let me go ride actually, she has never whined or complained about it it wether it was a 1 day or 3 day trip.

This a great time of year for this type of ride. I've never ridden in this area that I know of, but would like to join up, just to have a look see.

Too much work and no play, I'll ride anywhere.

I am interested in joining you. How many people are going so far?

I'm in. The tires wont be here until the 19th though. ... I spent 2 hours calling around the area to find a pair of Michelin T63's, no luck. Ordered em off of Dennis Kirk, $126 to the door with an extra tire iron.

Matt - your tires will be fine for this ride.

I'm counting 9 so far (see first post) so that's a manageable bunch. There are sections where the faster riders can break away....just wait for the next leg (it'll be obvious) and regroup.

See you at 9:00 Looks like a beautiful day out.