kkug

Beginner Bikepacking Seminar and Campouts by “KUG”

well, I messed up my dates on this....thinking it was THIS week....so I'm out.....I'll be out of town riding 11-13th weekend....Have Fun and take notes and pics for us who can't make it.....

I was thinking of taking a run out Pamo, up Black Mountain, over to Black Canyon afterwards?..hey mike, I'd love to have you along -if we happen to meet up with some of those beligerant indians wanting to start a fight along Black Canyon...I'll protect ya! :torch:

well, I messed up my dates on this....thinking it was THIS week....so I'm out...

Crap! Now I am going to need a new bodyguard.

Im not sure that I can make the seminar, I have alot of bikepacking miles on my 950, I havent done any bikepacking on my 450. I will try to make the seminar on the 12th. even if not, I plan to do the ride on the 26th. Im working on what to take( bare minimum) due to limited capacity, compared to my 950.Looking forward to it. Are we going to eat in resturaunts or take food to cook? Are we camping in Palo Verde?

Im not sure that I can make the seminar, I have alot of bikepacking miles on my 950, I havent done any bikepacking on my 450. I will try to make the seminar on the 12th. even if not, I plan to do the ride on the 26th. Im working on what to take( bare minimum) due to limited capacity, compared to my 950.Looking forward to it. Are we going to eat in resturaunts or take food to cook? Are we camping in Palo Verde?

I think we would stop in Palo Verde to gas up . Mabey stop for a cold one . I was thinking of picking up or bringing some thing to eat at nite at the camp just to kill time and test out the camping set up.

I was thinking to ride to the other side of the river go a little north and set up camp. We would have to see how the day goes.

KKug, bringing food and cooking stuff is no problem, I just wanted to know what the plan was. There are alot of nice camping sites in on both sides of the river there. Ive done some riding in that area. There ia a nice campground on the river south of palo verde.

KKug, bringing food and cooking stuff is no problem, I just wanted to know what the plan was. There are alot of nice camping sites in on both sides of the river there. Ive done some riding in that area. There ia a nice campground on the river south of palo verde.

Yes I know where the campground is but the ideal of this thing is to camp off the grid in some dusty insect infested spot for free ! :D

I'm out.. Too much family stuff going on. You guys have fun.

I have to go to breakfast with my ASL class in La Jolla at 8 that morning. I will be at Bald Beemers as soon as the class gets out and I can haul butt up there.

LOL! FYI - After spending a little more than 3 weeks in jail, our young injun friends pled out to a couple of misdemeanors following the preliminary hearing.

I'm riding up to the seminar from poway...I was thinking of taking a run out Pamo, up Black Mountain, over to Black Canyon afterwards?..hey mike, I'd love to have you along -if we happen to meet up with some of those beligerant indians wanting to start a fight along Black Canyon...I'll protect ya! :torch:

Wonderwoman and Beezzz "IN".

If the time allows, we will be bringing our two bikes and going for a local dirt ride starting a 2pm. Would that fit your presentation schedule?

Please sent me address in Ramona.

Thanks.

Great ___I think we would be done by 2-3.

Address will be coming later.

Wonderwoman and Beezzz "IN".

smiley-signs021.gif Address sent

I'll do a preliminary run out to Pamo Valley on Friday evening to see which gates are open or closed for those folks that are riding after Ken’s seminar.

May i be added to the maybe list please, pending truck alignment being done on time. I should be able to attend.

Ok Hobbie your in.

Teaser pics from last Sat nite. I have done a lot of camping with my big bike but realy never went with the 450. ( all thow I have camped with my old XR 400 )

170.jpg

173.jpg

177.jpg

Bagstr will be there. Can you PM the address? Ramona?

Looking forward to seeing and hearing your impression of the Loop, Giant or otherwise.

Wow some very special people are coming. Bagster who has camped with bears on the CDT and my buddy Rider914 ( ADV ) Who I have rode thousands of miles with on two big trips and a lot of small ones. He has a really good system to make maps of the route so their is only one track to follow on you GPS.The whole trip on one track ! It is awesome.

Remember 10:00 Sat

Lunch will be BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, coleslaw and chips. Cablejockey is bringing sodas and water. If anyone wants something besides what's on the menu or wants beer they will need to bring their own.

Wayne and I are going to swing by. Appropriate to the theme, we actually need to spend most of the day working on a rack for the DRZ since we haven't found anything on the market that works for us.

We just picked up Chase Harper dualsport side bags that we'll use on both bikes. Wayne will be using a MotoFizz bag on top.

post-1009-048365400 1299858386_thumb.jpg

I'll have a smaller Nelson Rigg bag on top (I don't have to carry the tent). The dog will be duct taped to the bag.

post-1009-009313300 1299858459_thumb.jpg

Zina,

My house is dog friendly so feel free to bring the pooch.

Also, I added my address in the Members Contact Info thread for those folks who decide to swing by at the last minute. However, I do not guarantee there will be enough pulled pork sandwiches for late comers.

Z, have you seen this dog backpack from myoutwardhound.com?

<hijack on>

I bought something not unlike that for Simon's first travel pack:

post-1009-089609300 1299877696_thumb.jpg

At 15 lbs, he's at the limit of the bag's capacity. It's uncomfortable for extended use because there's no waist strap so all the weight is carried on the shoulders.

</hijack off>

Aw, man. I see the big bike Gold Point camp/ride was canceled. Any word of a reschedule?

Since I'd already blocked off that time, I may do a solo outing to Superstition are. Just to see how the gear holds up.

I guess I need to work on some 50/50 tires, too as I buried the back tire to the Jesse Bags yesterday.

Anyone ever tried to cross the I-8 median (where it says not to) at the bottom of the hill coming into Ocotillo (by the 98)? Let's just say it wasn't just loose sand...it was a huge ant hill. And these ants appeared to prefer KTMs as they really went after my big ol' GS as I tried to pull it out.

Ah, good times.