Well, for me, I don't feel the need to add hours and miles on any one of my bikes unnecessarily. Extra slab just for the sake of "pyro'n" the entire thing has very little interest to me. That's wear and tear on the bike I don't want/need. Granted I'm not on a KTM 950/990 or a BMW 1150/1200 that are well suited for highway miles, so that definitely comes into play when decision making on rides comes up.

Well, for me, I don't feel the need to add hours and miles on any one of my bikes unnecessarily. Extra slab just for the sake of "pyro'n" the entire thing has very little interest to me. That's wear and tear on the bike I don't want/need. Granted I'm not on a KTM 950/990 or a BMW 1150/1200 that are well suited for highway miles, so that definitely comes into play when decision making on rides comes up.

That right there is the beauty of motorcycles right.

We can all focus on what it is we like to do. I enjoy slabbing on my RT beemer, but not on any of my DS bikes i have had. I prefer to use my time and resources on a dirtbike/DS bike MORe in the dirt than pavement....yes Crawdaddy, I know if i had a WRR i COULD slab all day long.....personally if i wanna slab i will ride a slabber that is like a couch like my NTM beemer....if i am on a dirtbike/DS bike i wanna rip up the dirt as much as i can (which now days aint much) not just drone along at one speed...

Like Streeegs i dont have an ADV or GS/GSA that may or may not be comfortable on long slab sections, but i do know if i wanna ride say kennedy meadows or mammoth, i would rather hop in the truck, share driving with a buddy while we rock out to some driving music, laugh, bench race, reminice, and rest up so that when we get up to the beautiful riding that is KM or MM, I and my scooter will be fresh and ready rather than tired and wore out.

I DO WANNA do those long, sight seeing, big adventures rides some day but now is not the time for me.

Well, for me, I don't feel the need to add hours and miles on any one of my bikes unnecessarily. Extra slab just for the sake of "pyro'n" the entire thing has very little interest to me. That's wear and tear on the bike I don't want/need.

I just love to ride . . . Street riding is great fun for me and dirt riding is great fun too. But when you combine the two, now that's a match made in heaven! That's why I love dualsporting so much. B) When it comes to Adventure Riding I'm just a noob wannabe, but I aspire to do better in the future :torch:

Well, for me, I don't feel the need to add hours and miles on any one of my bikes unnecessarily. Extra slab just for the sake of "pyro'n" the entire thing has very little interest to me. That's wear and tear on the bike I don't want/need.

I just love to ride . . . Street riding is great fun for me and dirt riding is great fun too. But when you combine the two, now that's a match made in heaven! That's why I love dualsporting so much. B) When it comes to Adventure Riding I'm just a noob wannabe, but I aspire to do better in the future :torch:

what are you talking about....you are PYRO ! THE MAN, the MYTH, THE PYRO :king:

I just love to ride . . . Street riding is great fun for me and dirt riding is great fun too. But when you combine the two, now that's a match made in heaven!

Agreed. But I simply can't afford to street ride my KTM. I love it (ask Trophy about the first time we did a street ride) but the tires and the time on the motor is way too costly. I suppose it could be calculated, but the distance one can reasonably expect a highly-tuned, thoroughbred racing machine is fairly short compared to a street bike or even an adv.

ad•ven•ture [ad-ven-cher]

noun

1. an exciting or very unusual experience.

2. participation in exciting undertakings or enterprises.

3. a bold, usually risky undertaking; hazardous action of uncertain outcome.

4. a commercial or financial speculation of any kind; venture.

5. peril; danger; risk.

verb

1. to take the risk involved.

2. to venture; hazard.

It's all an adventure to me; whether I'm dodging soccer moms on my way home from work or exploring a dirt road somewhere I've never been before.smiley-happy093.gif

I have the KTM 990 and we still slabed to Page on the Westfest trip. I don’t even like to slab between here and Vegas on my Harley and it’s a touring bike. Long straight freeways with a bike got boring for me a long time ago. That’s why I would rather truck until I get to the old highway system and roads. I’ve taken back roads to Vegas before but we still had to hit I10 for a ways. I’ve trailer three street bikes to Reno and then rode over 3,000 miles through northern states and did not think we were trailer queens. Sometimes it just makes since to use a truck or trailer for the boring stuff just to save the tires. It can be hard to find tires in the middle of BFE. Heck there are people who truck their bikes to the start of the Trans American Trail. I still think they are adventure riding.

Here is a picture of Richard on his Honda 650XRL. Yes, he rode it from Los Angeles to Moab Utah on Street. Then he rode the TAT to Oregon. Then rode the street south to Los Angeles. We had bikes on the TAT(3-650s and 1-1200) Simply Ride to the ride, ride the ride, and ride home from the ride!

post-34-052593700 1289367805_thumb.jpg

I don,t do Facebook so does that mean I am not a nerd ? :wacko:

People don't understand why I don't do it either...

Here is a picture of Richard on his Honda 650XRL. Yes, he rode it from Los Angeles to Moab Utah on Street. Then he rode the TAT to Oregon. Then rode the street south to Los Angeles. We had bikes on the TAT(3-650s and 1-1200) Simply Ride to the ride, ride the ride, and ride home from the ride!

...and here's a guy who's riding around the world on a 125. To each their own, enjoy the ride you choose to ride and get on with it....

What's next....sword fights?

to me, it's all about what floats your boat

I would ride my XRL anywhere too, if the roads were interesting... I-15 is NEVER interesting.

Riding Wildcat to Ramona, then fireroads to Anza, then Hixon-Allessandro... THAT is an adventure, and I doubt many people would do that on a 1200GS

so- it boils down to: I won't discount anybody elses idea of "adventure" and would hope they wouldn't discount mine

to me, it's all about what floats your boat

I would ride my XRL anywhere too, if the roads were interesting... I-15 is NEVER interesting.

Riding Wildcat to Ramona, then fireroads to Anza, then Hixon-Allessandro... THAT is an adventure, and I doubt many people would do that on a 1200GS

so- it boils down to: I won't discount anybody elses idea of "adventure" and would hope they wouldn't discount mine

Yes, we(Team Dummkopf) have done it on a 1200GS!

My hats off to anybody that rode Alessandro "up" on a 1200!

As I stated; not many people will do it...

Not many people will ride a TW200 1000 miles on a road trip either...my hats off to them too!

"Real meaning of adventure" is pretty subjective, which is what I was getting at

My hats off to anybody that rode Alessandro "up" on a 1200!

As I stated; not many people will do it...

Not many people will ride a TW200 1000 miles on a road trip either...my hats off to them too!

"Real meaning of adventure" is pretty subjective, which is what I was getting at

No---not really. Dirt biking is truck/trailer your bike to the dirt-ride dirt-then truck/trailer it home.

Adventure riding is ride it everywhere and usually includes camping from the bike. Basically-self sufficient.

This is why there is Adventure models of motorcycles.

Mike rode his 1200gs up Allesandro and Ron Spicer on his R100GS. That is what we are teaching at SD GS RIDERS at SDBMWMC----Big bikes can do it!

If you look at the picture on the SDAR home page---That is Ron Spicer on his R100GS an Adventure Ride with all his gear(self Sufficient)

ad•ven•ture [ad-ven-cher]

noun

1. an exciting or very unusual experience.

2. participation in exciting undertakings or enterprises.

3. a bold, usually risky undertaking; hazardous action of uncertain outcome.

4. a commercial or financial speculation of any kind; venture.

5. peril; danger; risk.

verb

1. to take the risk involved.

2. to venture; hazard.

It's all an adventure to me; whether I'm dodging soccer moms on my way home from work or exploring a dirt road somewhere I've never been before.smiley-happy093.gif

I just love to ride . . . Street riding is great fun for me and dirt riding is great fun too. But when you combine the two, now that's a match made in heaven!

Well said !

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of "Adventure Riding".

I have never seen a concrete definition of an "Adventure Ride".....I think people just have their different opinions about it.

No---not really. Dirt biking is truck/trailer your bike to the dirt-ride dirt-then truck/trailer it home.

Adventure riding is ride it everywhere and usually includes camping from the bike. Basically-self sufficient.

I would love to know where you got that definition.

The Definition of Adventure:

From Princeton

From Wikipedia

That said, being a former Recon-bubba I have a much more aggressive view of "Adventure Riding" than just about anyone else I have ever met (and I have met a few people are considered "icons" in the ADV world). My riding skills may not be at their level, but that is a key part part of the adventure (see the definitions above : risk).

Here is an example of something that I consider an adventure but your definition expressly denies as such.

I was riding my DRZ from Tecate to Cabo San Lucas (offroad). Near San Fransiscito (600+ miles into Baja) My motor unexpectedly siezed. The guys and I convinced a loacl fisherman to take me ensenada in his truck where friends met me to take me home. I was home for less than 2 hours and in that time I loaded my truck with another bike, ate a poptart and filled a cooler before I left to go back. In under 24 hours I rode in a PACKED pickup and drove myself and my GSA over 1400 miles. Then continured the ride in some terrain that according to guys on KTM 525s was "unpassable" for my bike.

Alas, four days later I loaded my GSA back into my truck which wa still in Baja and drove my bike home (I had no other option) but your definition that was not an adventure.

Some of us are more hardcore about riding than others. But riding from your home and back doe not an adventure make. By your definition my daily commute would qualify as an adventure ride and I don't have to leave the pavement but I choose to do so, since I ride from home and am totally self supported even carrying equipment and food for my short trip to be a 3-4 "adventure" if needed.

Maybe a little less trash talk and a little more riding is order

to all of you that missed last nights debate on the subject (the deleted ones :ph34r: ), we should probably just consider Randy's post as the last post on this subject

I'll continue to enjoy my rides, no matter what anybody calls them and hope everybody else does the same

to all of you that missed last nights debate on the subject (the deleted ones :ph34r: ), we should probably just consider Randy's post as the last post on this subject

I'll continue to enjoy my rides, no matter what anybody calls them and hope everybody else does the same

+1 :rolleyes: