Crawdaddy

Bass Lake "Stewards of the Sierra" fundraiser

I’ve been making an annual pilgrimage to Bass Lake for years……….this was the location of my first “formal/organized” Dualsport ride (The Bass Lake 250) many years ago and it’s STILL my favorite place to ride in CA…………I’ve become good friends with some locals in the area over the years and I feel very lucky to have these guys as friends………

So I headed up again last Thursday to participate in the “Stewards of the Sierra” Fundraiser ………brought a bunch of guys with me and many of them had never ridden at Bass Lake before……..always fun for me to bring new folks along…….doesn’t take very long for them to understand my passion for the area………. we stayed at my friend Russ’s house which is always an added bonus………Russ, Larry, Ed created/maintain some GREAT trails……I feel privileged to know these guys and I’m very thankful they’re willing to share these gems with us………I hope the Stewards are able to keep most of them open……...Russ’s place also borders some great riding areas………nice to be able to head out in the morning and be on sweet trails in a matter of minutes……then drop back in at his house (literally……the final/short downhill to the guest house is similar to our local “drop-off” on Pinon Rd.)

I took the boys on what I consider to be a “Best of” ride on the north side of Bass Lake on Friday (wouldn’t have been possible without the help of local friend Michael Gaynor who met us at his cabin with 15 gallons of gas after the first ~100 miles – Big Thanks to Michael!)……….then we saw Pasta and Schwinn when we checked in at the Elks Lodge on Friday night…….we rolled in straight from the trail around 5pm with ~160 miles on the odo……….we rode the event tracks on Sat. which included a “new to me” lead-in trail to the infamous Tree Trail and also included some “new to me” sweet single track up by Jerseydale……..all good stuff…….unfortunately we got washed out yesterday but we still managed to get in 2 really fun days of riding…….

I didn’t take any pics …….this post is just meant to get the party started……..so come’on boys……post up your reports/pics…..

Actually, I do have one pic...........Mike snapped this "Welcome to Whiskey Falls" pic with his cell phone on Friday :lol: ........my helmet stayed on......partially because I'm lazy and partially because I knew we still had big miles to cover.....so let's ride! :big_boss::thumbsup_anim:

BassBird.jpg

Unbelievable time up there. I am going back shortly, like maybe next week lol. Great group and awesome to be able to stay at casa de russ. Thank you again crawdaddy for the best riding of my life so far, and i only got one day in. Sitting here eating some homemade biscuits and gravy............lol thanks mike

.unfortunately we got washed out yesterday but we still managed to get in 2 really fun days of riding…….

You got washed out? About 20 riders and 3 sweep riders rode Sunday! I'll post what pics I have soon. Thanks for bringing up the S.D. guys,

.unfortunately we got washed out yesterday but we still managed to get in 2 really fun days of riding…….

You got washed out? About 20 riders and 3 sweep riders rode Sunday! I'll post what pics I have soon. Thanks for bringing up the S.D. guys,

The roads/trails were awesome on Friday but some of the fireroads on Sat were already pretty snotty from rain earlier in the week (trails were fine on Sat.).....we loaded tracks on Sat night and we were all looking forward to riding on Sunday too, but after hearing the rain all night and checking the forecast we figured the roads/trails would really be a mess......so we bailed because we didn't want to screw up the roads (even more) or the trails by riding on them when they were totally saturated <_< ......that's Ok, we got in 250+ miles between Friday and Saturday B)

The roads/trails were awesome on Friday but some of the fireroads on Sat were already pretty snotty from rain earlier in the week (trails were fine on Sat.).....we loaded tracks on Sat night and we were all looking forward to riding on Sunday too, but after hearing the rain all night and checking the forecast we figured the roads/trails would really be a mess......so we bailed because we didn't want to screw up the roads (even more) or the trails by riding on them when they were totally saturated <_< ......that's Ok, we got in 250+ miles between Friday and Saturday B)

Just raggin' on yeh.....The slippery roads were the ones the loggers pulverized. Before the rain they were 6" deep silt, just ugly getting thru them.

This was Jon and my first time to Bass Lake. I was definately lured into this by the salesmanship of our Crawdaddy and all of the past photos. Jon and I did not arrive until about 8pm on Friday night, since his first job is to go to school, so we missed the "Best Of" Friday ride. By the time we grabbed a quick bite and checked into the hotel in town, it was too late to check in at the Elk's and get the tracks. I tried to get the tracks from some riders at the Oakhurst Lodge but first I had to pass their test whether I had actually paid for the event. After seeming to pass their gauntlet of queries their "newer replacement to the Garmin 60csx" was not up to the task. So we were up early on Saturday to meet Chris and the other 7 lucky guys at Russ' place to get tracks.

0530 early...

The organized event tracks we got were so dumbed down for the first half of the ride that we got lost several times and almost threw in the towel and went back for Chris's planned tracks. But we stuck with it. We rolled out at 0720.

Well, enough talking. Here are a few pictures that I took along the way.

My son Jon (Hurry Up) paused at the start of the ride while Chris went down one more wrong path. At one point the tracks would have sent us through a locked gate! :excl:

post-12225-019909100 1288060651_thumb.jp

Here Jon is "falling for" Bass Lake...

post-12225-007113900 1288060779_thumb.jp

This is a self portrait while wearing my invisible riding outfit. Its ORANGE!

post-12225-058500600 1288060842_thumb.jp

Here is Jon giving a thumb's up to Bass Lake.

post-12225-069724100 1288060918_thumb.jp

Sometime after the Tree Trail and having struggled through the creek crossings, muddy downhills, several falls, Chris finally turned on one of the easy tracks on my GPS and gave me a shortcut to Lunch! I was thankful to miss the hard way to lunch.

On our way there, we leisurely snapped a couple more pics.

post-12225-065774600 1288061485_thumb.jp

post-12225-005159700 1288061518_thumb.jp

Here's Jon waiting for the rest of the group to show up to Triangle. I was hungry, but Jon was famished.

post-12225-000019700 1288061431_thumb.jp

The leg back to Russ's place proved to be more hard ways (for me). We did the Big Rock trail. Frankly, I had such a hard time getting through the rocks (boulders) that I never saw the really "Big" Rock. Once I got there, I never looked back. I did not care. I made it. Maybe it did not stand out to me against the rocks I rode over...?

The last "salute" Chris had in mind for us was "the drop" into Russ's place. I had the topo turned on while Jon and I took a few pics at the top of the hill. It showed a drop of 500 feet is a very short space. Gulp.

Overall, this one day of riding was worth the drive. I'm looking forward to trying the hard ways again next year. But maybe without the group event setting and with better tracks! :rolleyes:

Slowdown

Yeah, the earlier tracks were a problem since my Garmin Oregon didn't record them for some reason and I had to use one of the other guys Garmin Rhino tracks and they aren't very good. However the ROLL CHART was pretty accurate and we ALWAYS recommend using the roll chart with GPS to back it up. You'll find that's much more accurate.

The leg back to Russ's place proved to be more hard ways (for me). We did the Big Rock trail. Frankly, I had such a hard time getting through the rocks (boulders) that I never saw the really "Big" Rock. Once I got there, I never looked back. I did not care. I made it. Maybe it did not stand out to me against the rocks I rode over...?

I can't believe you didn't notice this rock! It's about the size of a small motorhome!

And you had to ride up and around it!

post-14110-058843100 1288063347_thumb.jp

Great time! Nothing better than Bass Lake area to ride in CA.......

I left to go pick up Dan about 9 on Thursday and we were on the way to meet Larry at the 76 and the 5.

We loaded up Larry and hit the road.

loaded.jpg

Took our time getting up there and finally made it to the most ultimate dream property owned by the nicest couple you will ever meet. Waited for the others to arrive and head off to dinner at a mexican restaurant. Cadalliac Margaritas!! :drinks:

Next morning I got up early and started biscuts and gravy.......needed lots of fuel for the many miles we were going to put in for the day. We left at 7 and hit the best trails in the best riding conditions........I will let the pictures do the talking.

Kevin having a bit of an "issue" on a rock step

DSC00893.jpg

DSC00894.jpg

Same step....Ken

DSC00895.jpg

You alright Ken?....If I can get this bike off of me I will!.....right after I get a picture...right on it!

DSC00896.jpg

On our way to Whiskey Falls.....

DSC00897.jpg

Newbie orientation.....gotta get under the falls

DSC00900.jpg

SAM_0481.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

Doesn't it look like they are holding hands :o

IMG_3037.jpg

The...Sh!t!

DSC00902.jpg

More later.....

I can't believe you didn't notice this rock! It's about the size of a small motorhome!

And you had to ride up and around it!

That picture is you (Ron) going around the "Big Rock"......I had a tree branch in the way while I took the picture.

I was in a crappy spot taking the pictures of you guys (was holding Larry's bike from going down the cliff...great KTM kickstands)

Here is Jon going through

SAM_0509.jpg

So I think people have already covered just how awesome this ride was. It's my favorite kind of riding, hills, rocks, trees, creek crossings... It just kept getting better. By the end of day two I had my new, new, new, new favorite trail ever. Here are some pics that haven't been covered by others.

Just plain beautiful

DSC00932.jpg

BFR (yup, you know what that stands for...

DSC00918.jpg

More BFR

DSC00914.jpg

Crossing the swamp

DSC00905.jpg

On top of the world!

DSC00935.jpg

Stopped here to give Ken's bike another transfusion. 1.9 gallons isn't cuttin it at Bass lake :)

DSC00933.jpg

Meadow crossing

DSC00930.jpg

View from that meadow crossing.. ugly huh....

DSC00929.jpg

Mile high Vista View

DSC00927.jpg

Mammoth Pools

DSC00925.jpg

Hoss contemplating the meaning of life... I think he found it :)

DSC00921_1.jpg

DSC00920.jpg

So I know my picture taking ability sucks so you'll just have to go ride it yourself... What are you waiting for?!?!?

DSC00927.jpg

Man i wanna go back. Maybe i will but after the wifeys birthday on friday :)

Fun stuff, we had like 12 people in our group but to actually ride that broke into smaller groups.

Our Truck and Trailer and a special thanks to the DeuPrees for providing it and our Truck driver Paul DeuPree.

P1000246.jpg

There is our driver now...HaHa

P1000237.jpg

L-R - Scott Cairncross, Steven DeuPree, Jon Bergess, Paul DeuPree, Robert DeuPree.

P1000234.jpg

Did I mention big trees.

P1000229.jpg

P1000224.jpg

P1000221.jpg

Bike would only fit if you cleaned out the ditch and you had to kick and shove it thru and then crawl under.

P1000219.jpg

My steed never hesitated. KTM 690

P1000217.jpg

Lots of downed wet slippery logs back there. Wait for your buddies.

P1000215.jpg

Everything is sooooo greeeeen

P1000210.jpg

Kellermans loosing plates. Brad was just #5

P1000208.jpg

1st flat repair of the day and it wasnt San Diego cuz Bikeslut wasnt there. LOL

P1000204.jpg

Morning Pileup. Everyone getting their bearings.

P1000203.jpg

More photos at http://s766.photobucket.com/albums/xx308/schwinn01/SIERRA%202010/?action=view&current=P1000202.jpg

Awesome guys...I WON'T miss Bass Lake next year...(.I do think I'll do the "summer" ride though)....weather looked a little dreary this time...just like we've had....I LOVE the sun...

thanks all for sharing...

Here is one video un edited........camera is on my helmet pointing back with Larry following me.

I totally enjoyed that footage Mike. The Trees hitting the camera makes me duck. My helmet has never taken such a beating until last weekend. Branches and such were constantly hitting my helmet.

I totally enjoyed that footage Mike. The Trees hitting the camera makes me duck. My helmet has never taken such a beating until last weekend. Branches and such were constantly hitting my helmet.

A quote from a video that I watched last night, "I hit my head so hard on that branch I had to wipe my ass so I could see where I was going".

Another that I have not edited........Tree Trail!

Great vid ! no editing necessary B)

Now i have to go see it in person.

That trail looks amazing

It's interesting why it's called the "tree trail". A few years back it was on the Bass Lake 250 ride and a late storm blew thru and toppled probably 100 trees on that trail! Not wanting to lose the trail (the Forest Service would never open it back up) we took a group of 5 or 6 people with 4 chainsaws and spent a day and a half cutting trees that were blocking the trail. We should have named it the "sawdust" trail as there was a lot on the ground. If you look at the video closely you can see the cut trees as the bike goes down the trail. I'm guessing over a hundred trees were cut then, out biggest trail project to date. Some of the trees were pretty big too!

It's interesting why it's called the "tree trail". A few years back it was on the Bass Lake 250 ride and a late storm blew thru and toppled probably 100 trees on that trail! Not wanting to lose the trail (the Forest Service would never open it back up) we took a group of 5 or 6 people with 4 chainsaws and spent a day and a half cutting trees that were blocking the trail. We should have named it the "sawdust" trail as there was a lot on the ground. If you look at the video closely you can see the cut trees as the bike goes down the trail. I'm guessing over a hundred trees were cut then, out biggest trail project to date. Some of the trees were pretty big too!

We really appreciate it. That trail was incredible!