jimbob

New guy signing in - Hello Jimbob!

Hello, long time rider, first time caller

Fairly new to offroad riding.

I just bought an 00 DRZ400S, and my goal is to become a good dirtbike rider. I've been a sportbike rider for over 25 yrs, and spent the last two years teaching Marines at Cp Pendleton,Miramar,Yuma, and 29 Palms classes on BRC, ERC, MSRC, ARC-ST, and TCARC I&II(Lee Parks Total Control Class).

I'm a retired Army Chief Warrant Officer, and I've lived about 13 yrs in Germany. I met John Hermann in Switzerland, got his autograph, and followed him around for a few days(really cool guy)

I've also led groups around the Alps in Switzerland, France, Italy, and most roads in Germany, Belgium, and both curves in Holland.

I've already taken the motoventures class level II and looking forward to my ultimate 2 day training in mid Oct.

As for street training? If you ask I will tell you, but consider me well schooled.

So Far, I've ridden Nate Harrison Grade, survived a weekend in Ocotillo, and am learning the roads between Fallbrook and Ortega.

I'm referred by Eddie who I met while training a Total Control class in Irvine.

That should be enough to alienate most, and impress some.

I look forward to being the FNG and learning new off road trails in the area and Big Bear.

Welcome aboard jimbob..! Plenty of rides available here and looking forward to seeing you on the trail!

welcome! A lot of SDAR guys have extensive street experience and track experience too, and once you un-learn some things, the two actually coexist quite nicely

(less front brake is a GREAT piece of advice)

Welcome to the club; some North County Guys here, and lots of East County riding to be done, now that Summer is over

Some WELL-Schooled Big Bear guys too!

c ya soon

JimBob who? I have NO idea who this guy is. Friggin' poser.

lol

See you on Sunday! BTW - You can see The King of the Alps every weekend at Gio's, sir. No need to go to Europe.

Welcome to the group. I also have a 00 DRZ. I suggest spending a little time over at the DRZ section of thumpertalk. There are a few mods I feel are necessary to make you drz offroad worthy and reliable. Chances are most or all have already been done. :) Ken

Welcome to the group. I also have a 00 DRZ. I suggest spending a little time over at the DRZ section of thumpertalk. There are a few mods I feel are necessary to make you drz offroad worthy and reliable. Chances are most or all have already been done. :) Ken

Thanks Ken,

PO put a full yoshi pipe, Ricky Stator, hot cams, jet kit, IMSA tank, kewl stickers, TT side covers, after handlebar, baja kit, and manual cam chain tensioner. Shame he spent all that money, only to give it to me for a pittance!

Welocome to the club. I just completed both BRC and ERC(now BRC2) up here at Camp Pendleton, enjoyable courses and learned a bit to.

Good to see another rider! If your interested in coming up to Escondido theres a lot of trails nearby that are great for improving skills. I'm usually riding weekday afternoons if you've got the time, just send me a pm.

Welcome Jimbob!!

I'm another street rider making the transition to dirt. But even a few years later I'm still painfully slow!

BS's advice about the front brake is very true (you don't even need to ask).

Are you still teaching - after 35+ years on the street, I like to think I can ride, but you NEVER really know enough?

Welcome Jimbob!!

I'm another street rider making the transition to dirt. But even a few years later I'm still painfully slow!

BS's advice about the front brake is very true (you don't even need to ask).

Are you still teaching - after 35+ years on the street, I like to think I can ride, but you NEVER really know enough?

I'm not the fastest guy I ever met, but I'm not the slowest either. I started late in life as a biker, not riding until I was 26. I had this twisted idea that ATGATT and lots of education would make me impervious to injury. Well, you know that didn't work. I DID however, prolly survive 10,000 accident opportunities that I can claim training helped me to beat. Sadly, there were those other 2 that, well, you know, I didn't.

I've trained in the Austrian Alps with MadMax, Assen with Toni Mang, Laguna Seca with Keith Code, Irvine with Lee Parks, and Gary LaPlante with MotoVentures. I'm absolutely positive that I have not yet learned all there is to know about riding. I just learned yesterday about the Catalina and Elsinore Grand Prix(I'm going to both)

I can race in 6 different countries, speak German, English and Southern fluently, I am proficient with 6 different weapons(not all US), occasionally play at the fiddle and still realize I haven't learned all there is to know...

welcome jim.....see you on a ride sometime...or a club meeting...we should have one coming up...maybe when pres randy returns from his adventure....

JimBob, formerly cruisin' the autobahn? Dayum, our paths cross again.

MattW

KTM 990

(still have my 95VFR ex twin twingle)

Howdy Jimbob and welcome to the happiest place on earth! :D I look forward to seeing you out on a dirt ride soon.

Welcome!

Herm's an old friend, and I spend a few years in the local mountains with him and his ilk. Still have the Euro map with which he and I mapped out my Euro tour in 1996.

As you've been well-trained and train well, I'm confident you won't ride like Bikeslut, who's advice I'll echo: Easy on that front brake....