Sign in to follow this  
kellymac530

WR250 "F" set up

since i sold my KTM 530, i now have nothing to ride, dirt or street. Dirt riding is still out for now, still too much neck pain, but a little city put for lunch, or run an errand is always nice...

second...i was wondering if you guys think i can set up the lights and stuff without buying a kit?

im thinking of using the stock headlight and tail light and just modifying the bulbs to be dual filament. like using a ktm plug on the headlite with the hi-lo bulb, and redoing the tailite bulb to be dual filament tail/stop bulb but both of them in the stock light housings. i love the look of the 07 wr taillite and headlight mask.

then all i would need is 2 pressure switches for the master cyclinders to trigger the stop lite.

and how about the handlebar switches for turn signal and hi-lo and horn...does anyone know any good suppliers for this stuff if i wanna do it myself

or is it cheaper to buy a Baja Designs KIT or similar....

what do you guys think? IDEAS?

check out rockymountainatvmc.com and look for the tusk dual sport kits or just the parts you need, they are cheap. You can take the bike to CHP and if they sign it off, you get a plate simple as that. Not sure exactly what they look for but if you have all the blinkers etc, I think you might get lucky. A sticker stating its 50 state smog compliant couldn't hurt.

and where might i get that sticker? it is green sticker compliant but not sure about the street compliance?

i just saw someone on here got her crf250X plated....no difference than my wrf as far as the dmv is concerned

We seem to go around and around discussing this sort of thing. Back in 2006, it was still not impossible to do a conversion on green sticker four stroke machines. That year I plated my KLX300. I bought a dualsport kit from Baja Designs, then I installed the kit and took the bike over to Baja Designs where for a small fee, they signed off the lighting paperwork, and they made sure that I had the original OEM emission sticker on the bike. Then I stopped by my insurance company and got the bike insured on the way to the DMV. Luckily, the bike passed its inspection and I got a plate on it after almost 800 dollars invested in everything to ready for the street. I am sure that the tide has turned in the last four years. There are still ways to get bikes plated, but they are neither simple nor inexpensive to do.

All street bikes have the sticker. I think if you have all the blinkers and horn etc, and the serial number matches, they will sign you off anyway. You haven't broken any rules for trying. You can go down to dmv and get the documents you need to take to CHP to get it signed off. good luck.

What year bike is it? my 08 450 already has dual filament bulbs front and rear, and I think the brake light wiring is already there also. You just have to add the switch. It may have the right sticker already too if it is the same year as the ones that come with plates. If so, you would be 100% legit.

its an '07 wr 250 F not the R or X. i will have to check the wiring...the bulbs are single filament as far as i know. but i will check

i believe the emissions sticker has to say that it is legal for street use. however i have seen bikes that do not have said sticker so maybe it is a combination of sticker/vin. I have also heard that it can also depend on the person who inspects the bike as some read the rules differently then others.

SDlineman, thanks for the heads up on the existing dual filaments. yes the head and tail lights have dual filaments and even a empty wire plug connector to power the brake light and high beam.

next question, does anyone know what amperage separation the hi/lo headlamp has to have? the stock head light is a 35w/35.5w, is that enuf to be legal? And is there any interchangeable bulbs that would be say 35/55w that will just pop in? Does anyone {crawdaddy? others?} know what watt the wr250r/x bulb is and if it will inter change?

I know the vin is probably okay as it is a green sticker bike-no 3 or C in the 8th digit of the vin...

All i need is brake switches, hi beam switch, turnsignals and a horn....easy stuff...just the dmv/chp inspection is my concern...

dont forget a kickstand stitch or just a mechanism to force the stand to come up when there is no weight on it

All i need is brake switches, hi beam switch, turnsignals and a horn....easy stuff...just the dmv/chp inspection is my concern...

About the CHP, we helped a guy built a hardtail chopper at D&D with no turn lights or speedo and the CHP never asked. All they were interested in was all the vin numbers matching the receipts. The guy never even had to take the bike off the trailer.

He may have just been doing the VIN verification form and not the lighting check form. Also, if it was a custom build, where DMV issues a VIN (limited supply each year and you are supposed to be able to do only one in your lifetime) it may not need all of the standard checks. For the "issued" VIN, you don't need to meet emissions either.

Careful if you ever do this.....the insurance companies hate 'em because there's no proven build history and major company standing behind the construction. My old boss bought a frame, did the whole build thing, got the DMV to issue a VIN........ $150 per month to insure (and the guy had over 30 years with a motorcycle endorsement on his license).

This is so frustrating! All i want to do is ride a little, clean burning, stock motorcycle on the street to connect some dirt trails, and i feel like a criminal.

I get that many people are abusing the system in every catagory and cheating wherever they can. I just wanna have a bike i putt around on fire roads and buzz up some back road to a different trail.

Im not commuting, riding cross country, building some fire breathing 200 HP smog belching beast that drips fuel out of the exhaust at idle cause it is so rich....just a stock little 250cc, very clean running 4 stroke that is actually smog legal in every other state than california.

I swear im moving to alabama, or new mexico, arizona or any non hitler run state....

This is so frustrating! All i want to do is ride a little, clean burning, stock motorcycle on the street to connect some dirt trails, and i feel like a criminal.

I get that many people are abusing the system in every catagory and cheating wherever they can. I just wanna have a bike i putt around on fire roads and buzz up some back road to a different trail.

Im not commuting, riding cross country, building some fire breathing 200 HP smog belching beast that drips fuel out of the exhaust at idle cause it is so rich....just a stock little 250cc, very clean running 4 stroke that is actually smog legal in every other state than california.

I swear im moving to alabama, or new mexico, arizona or any non hitler run state....

+1 :angry2:

+1 :angry2:

Promises, Promises. Roger I will babysit your toys until you get settled.

Promises, Promises. Roger I will babysit your toys until you get settled.

Buy them instead?

Sorry Roger. You have a taste for the nice, expensive toys which cannot be had on a Bum's salary.

Dude you are trying to hard, read the law, I got all my switches and turn signals etc off an old wrecked Honda, a wiring diagram (from thumper talk) showed me that my bike was wired for a high beam already, I took the bike to CHP where they checked that Motoworld signed that all the lights worked and the officer checked that the Emission sticker stated that the bike was approved in Cal. for on road use, then off to California registration service in El Cajon to finish filling out the papers which I had already printed out and had mostly filled out and BAM and some $ I was good to go. Kit $30.00- more or less, making brackets and fretting- many hours, registration spendy, and I was riding with the boys ( and girls) all legal like.

You can do it.