What do you think the percentages were of pavement, fire roads/easy trails, and technical stuff?

Glad you folks are enjoying the write-up. Bit of a labor of love for me. Haven't started day 3 yet; maybe tonight.

The leg bruise runs from about lower mid-thigh to the bottom of my calf. When I was riding to catch up to Wayne and Steve after the crash, it felt like my pants were getting soaked with blood (it wasn't; it was just swelling up). I was seriously relieved nothing was broken.

post-1009-039168000 1283554445_thumb.jpg

I've got an appointment with the chiropractor later today. I have a bulging disc that I've kept in control for years (from another crash) but for some reason during the trip it flaired up pretty badly. I was up a couple of the nights just pacing the motel room trying to get the pain to subside. It felt like a python was squeezing the life out of my left arm and my fingers were going to drop off. Maybe I need to make the Husky suspension even softer! :rolleyes:

IMG_1203.jpg

I see that you let your friend get into your pants on this trip.jawdrop.giflol.gif

Glad you didn't get clobbered up too much to quit the ride. :coolio:

Maybe I need to make the Husky suspension even softer! :rolleyes:

Just have it valved correctly.professor.gif

Great report and pictures, keep it coming, looks like a lovely place to ride, an not really that far away.

See you found out that KTM's don't make good submarines, did that on my 300 but with a 2 stroke it only took us a few minutes to get it running again.

Awesome stuff...loving the report and pics....Zina, you are one tough chick for sure:coolio: ......that knee looks knarly!..:excl:

(your crash sounded exactly like mine 2 weeks ago on the right knee also )...mine is healing well and didn't look as bad as yours though......Rest up and Heal quickly...

Roger, How did you sprain your wrist, ankle and hyper extend knee when you landed on your shoulder???

Steve, I'm still trying to figure out why I fell in the middle of the road that way much less how I was injuried! I dont know how but I did sprain the right wrist and left ankle. I wanted to jump right back up but thats when I found I bent my left knee a bit too much in the wrong direction. That was why I was still on the ground when Zina pulled up to take photos. All of my injuries were minor and are mostly healed now. Zina on the other hand jumps back up and lifts her own bike by herself when she goes down. She has real marks to show for it and doesnt whine like me. :)

Day 3.

We packed up our bikes and left the New Western Motel. Goodbye establishment with the "continental breakfast" consisting of stale cereal and donuts -- give us a call when you man up and get a Belgian waffle maker. (Still, a tip of the hat for at least fulfilling the dualsporters' minimum requirement of hot showers and no-itch beds.)

post-1009-045030600 1283641483_thumb.jpg

My bike was a little sad: broken handguard, broken mirror, broken turn indicator, broken instrumentation. Subconsciously and not-so-subconsciously, I'm trying to justify the need for a new bike.

post-1009-065851600 1283641568_thumb.jpg

We all headed out to Castro Canyon where I think we encountered the most stunning scenery yet. I'll get the cliche overwith: It was like riding through a postcard. I enjoyed the area so much I don't think I ever went past second gear.

post-1009-031846500 1283641528_thumb.jpg

post-1009-056184400 1283641538_thumb.jpg

We ascended through the forest and eventually made our way down to Hwy 12. The weather was perfect and the riding was easy.

post-1009-076222500 1283641755_thumb.jpg

When we arrived at the pavement we needed to make a decision: Who was going to slab it over to Hatch and who wanted to take the untested dirt road up and over the mountain that lay yonder?

post-1009-093436900 1283641838_thumb.jpg

Steve, Justin, Wayne and I ended up going the dirt route while Drew, Darren, Roger and (the other) Steve took the pavement. The first stretch was a wide, smooth road you could take at freeway speeds.

post-1009-043312600 1283643311_thumb.jpg

post-1009-042437700 1283641889_thumb.jpg

Just past Tropic Reservoir we cut west towards Hatch. As we climb up to around 9,500 feet I notice the plants along the trail are green. I don't mean "lots of green" or "pretty green"; I mean a weird Photoshop super-saturated green. As an afficionado of green -- it's my favorite color -- I considered this green stunning but borderline unnatural. I have a theory for this. As we were riding along, there was a guy in the distance who was trailer camping. He's waving at us wildly, not to flag us down, but more to say HAVE A GREAT F#CKING DAY! I wave back -- yeah, we are, in fact, having a GREAT F#CKING DAY! and we hope you have one, too.

When we reach the top and take a break. We hear a motor in the distance and within seconds a quad comes through the last turn fast and sideways. The rider has no helmet on and looks a touch on the douchebag side. What do you know... it's the same dude who was waving madly at us from his campsite/home/pseudo bunker. He stops just behind Steve and starts telling him about an awesome trail to take for an awesome view and how awesome its awesomeness is. I don't say a word; I'm afraid to engage him in any way. Steve, likewise, isn't encouraging the guy to ramble on about the nearby splendors. Doesn't matter -- the guy is so high on life at the moment he's fine with cornering the conversation. Finally he tells us to HAVE A GREAT RIDE! and takes off on another trail, spraying rocks as he happily pushes his quad sideways.

Back to my theory: I bet that guy was a "sport chemist" and was making more meth than he could personally consume or sell to his neighbors so he spread the excess all around the forest. Something in his personal blend makes the chlorophyll production go into overdrive; hence the greener-than-green green. Go ahead, prove me wrong.

The ride down into Hatch was as easy as the ride going up. We reunited with the guys at the gas station and cruised on over to the Burger Barn for lunch.

post-1009-038850100 1283641978_thumb.jpg

post-1009-056353300 1283642026_thumb.jpg

The guys were a little beat. I'm not sure it it was the heat, the altitude, the cumulative days of riding, or the jacuzzi + alcohol session the night before.

post-1009-048932100 1283642488_thumb.jpg

post-1009-005079100 1283642562_thumb.jpg

I'm glad we stopped at the Burger Barn because I had no idea that calories did not operate over 8,000 feet. I would've gladly taken advantage of this unusual phenomenon, but I was stuffed full with a pulled-pork sandwich and had no more room.

post-1009-068821600 1283642594_thumb.jpg

We stopped for a photo op at Lake Panguitch and then we were on our final leg back to where it all began.

post-1009-075506500 1283642692_thumb.jpg

post-1009-044171100 1283642800_thumb.jpg

We came across another water crossing, but this time we could see the bottom. Still taking his role as The Man Who Throws Himself On Grenades very seriously, Wayne went first.

post-1009-022022800 1283642722_thumb.jpg

We went back through some cool red terrain and were soon back in Parowan, home to the Belgian waffle maker I now covet. My mouth is watering as I type this.

post-1009-015979800 1283643013_thumb.jpg

The trip was wrapped up with dinner at the Pizza Barn (it was our day to eat at "barns") with various stories retold, and possibly embellished.

post-1009-038141200 1283643174_thumb.jpg

End of day 3.

Final observations to come...

As you can tell by Zina’s story this ride was a lot of fun and a good

adventure. Utah is very dual sport friendly with a massive trail

system. I hope all of you who are interested in riding there have a

chance to go and experience it for yourself.

post-3040-090584800 1283705379_thumb.jpg

It’s always easier to follow then to lead and as our leader Steve did

an excellent job. We were all supplied with a “Route Book” that had

our lodging info, printed maps and a list of GPS tracks with mileage

and difficulty rating. Each day Steve took the responsibility to

change or modify the routes to fit everyone's ability or interest.  A

lot of time and effort goes into planning a trip like this and I know

we all appreciated the awesome job Steve did.

Here are my best pics.

Wayne

Zina forgot to mention that this day was not all pavement and fire roads. We stopped at a great view point and took some photos.

Steve (Boat440) & Justin at the overlook.

UtahPaiuteFreemontBryce2010128.jpg

The rest of the gang.

IMG_1210.jpg

We then went through a gate and down an ATV trail. It was an interesting ride for the less skilled riders (me). Nice little rolly polly rocks and steep switchbacks with various ruts thrown in for fun. Nothing too hard, just interesting! The trail took us down to submarine mans stream where Justin tried to hide in a wake.

UtahPaiuteFreemontBryce2010403.jpg

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

It’s always easier to follow then to lead and as our leader Steve did

an excellent job. We were all supplied with a “Route Book” that had

our lodging info, printed maps and a list of GPS tracks with mileage

and difficulty rating. Each day Steve took the responsibility to

change or modify the routes to fit everyone's ability or interest.  A

lot of time and effort goes into planning a trip like this and I know

we all appreciated the awesome job Steve did.

Steve did a great job planning this. He had never ridden with a few of us so all he could do was hope for the best. My hat is off to all of you pro-active types who plan rides and allow people (especially strangers) to join in. I'm sure it's doubly stressful when you've never pre-run the courses yourself and have no idea what to expect -- you've got all these people looking to you for answers that you don't have. Without the "doers" out there, my riding experience would consist mostly of Pine Valley and Corral Canyon. Hats off to you for being gracious and accepting.

Now about Utah men...

I've spent a little time in Salt Lake City, but I've never spent any time in the small towns of Utah. I don't know what percentage of the state is Mormon or if the Mormons in the small towns are different from the ones in the big cities, but I noticed something interesting: The men would barely speak to me.

A friend who lived in Salt Lake City for a while once told me a story where he saw a woman using a public phone. A man came up to use the phone and she immediately hung up and stood aside while he made his call. When he was done she went back to using the phone. That's just the way it is/was. And that was in the city; I'm guessing the small towns are even more conservative.

I noticed the interaction the guys had with other men we encountered on the trip. For example, we had this extremely nice guy who took our breakfast orders at the Big Rock Candy Mountain restort. He chatted it up with everyone. Whenever I thanked him for refilling my coffee he said nothing. I paid for breakfast with my charge card and when I thanked him he said nothing. I ask this in all seriousness: Is it awkward for Mormon men to have women thank them because that's not normal protocol? Maybe it was the combo of being female and a minority that made it extra awkward?

Same thing with the guy we got gas from behind Butch Cassidy's Hideout. He was really friendly chatting with Wayne. Then Wayne left to see where Steve was so I was left alone with the guy. He wouldn't say anything to me even though I made a comment or two. When he accidentally spilled gas all over my bike I could tell he was agitated. I said "No big deal" and he then mumbled "Sorry, [something something]."

I'll be curious to see what it's like the next time I return to Utah. I've driven across the US and been in a lot of small towns and never had a problem striking up a "nice weather" conversation with people, men or women. I'm not a femi-nazi so I don't have a problem with a place where the men need to be The Men, as long as they don't tell me I can't ride the trails. I'll keep my yap shut and let the guys do all the talking if that's how Utah dudes roll.

Looking forward to getting back out there -- we've got some unfinished business.

P.S. "Paiute" is Native American for "Hope You Like Rocks."

I’m sorry but I find it hard to believe that those guys would not talk to you because they are LDS. Yes the population of Utah is mostly white but they have sizeable minority populations as well. Most LDS men go on a mission soon after they graduate high school. There is a strong connection between the LDS church and pacific islanders. The big cultural center in Hawaii was started by the Mormons. Because of this history I don’t think they would be frightened of talking to you.

My mother’s side of the family is LDS and yes I found the men don’t talk much. But I think it is because the women will not let them get a word in edgewise! Unlike Islam there is nothing in the religion that I know of that tells them not to talk to women or minorities. The LDS church does stress strong family values though.

Being a woman you might be something new to them riding a dualsport, this was a rural area and most women don’t ride bikes even in big cities. Just look at the numbers in the club. These guys may feel awkward around you and a bit in awe of you.

I think we need to do more research on this subject. Lets go back and conduct more field tests. I’m ready are you?

Z - I spent 8th grade thru my first year of college in Utah. Dad still lives there. It was 99% Mormon where we were (Ogden) and I was def an outcast being non-Mormon. Dad lives just south of Salt Lake City and it is more diverse there and it's been a few years (30) since I've had a view of day to day life. The religion/community does take a more "traditional" role in function but the "payphone incident" is waaaaaaaaaaay out there if it happened. The population is Scandanavian appearing so any deviation stands out a bit. About 15 years ago, my ex (who had auburn hair) and I walked into a Chili's for lunch in SLC. The place literally stopped and everyone watched us 'til we sat down. So I ordered drinks to add to thier discussion. ;)

The smaller towns may not have progressed as much. My guess at your experience is a combo, female, minority, riding bikes with the men. You were probably the only one in the state with those qualifiers at the time. :) Glad the riding was outstanding!

My guess is that the concept of a woman riding her own bike is so foreign to them they didn't know how to handle it. It would probably be easier for them to deal with an alien from outer space walking up to them and saying "Hi".

Maybe they were just the kind of guys that get nervous around beautiful women and didn't know what to say to you.

Maybe they were just the kind of guys that get nervous around beautiful women and didn't know what to say to you.

That's my guess!

C'mon, guys! What really had them speechless was that they had never met a genuine Piratemonkey cult leader before! :o

We must not have ridden together yet because you haven't seen my BCDs and the chilling effect they have on the opposite sex. In retrospect, the guy pumping the gas probably overfilled my tank because he was busy trying to figure out if I was a dude with pigtails or a female with absolutely no style.

post-1009-074484200 1283918816_thumb.jpg

trying to figure out if I was a dude with pigtails or a female with absolutely no style.

I hear ya. Tough when you have a full head of hair.

Zina- I love your "thought bubbles" in your pics... wish I had the patience for such things

you crack me up