Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Mojave Rd. Ride

<the benefits of Insomnia>

I happen to read the Mojave sign.

It was dedicated by the E Clampus Vitus and Transierra Roisterous Alliance of Senior Humbugs-or T.R.A.S.H.

Upon further research, it seems a group of men and women has created a fictional group to "dis"honor the socalled honorable groups that were "honoring" everything else at the time.

More info can be found at:

http://worldcat.org/identities/lccn-n81-37788

and of course, the wiki kit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Clampus_Vitus

In and registered for my rooms. Carpool anyone?

I'd like to do this ride, I will be on my 990 Adv, is this a big bike friendly route?

As you can see from the pics in the first post, DigDug rode his 950ADV with saddlebags on the stretch between US95/Kelbaker when we headed home from Vegas after the 08 LA-B-V ride.......but we kept going south to Joshua Tree on that trip so we didn't ride the western half of Mojave Rd. between Kelbaker and Barstow (the lake was CLOSED on that trip and may be closed again on this trip....we'll have to wait and see)......I haven't ridden the Mojave River Basin/Afton Canyon stretch since 05 and my memory is sketchy on conditions down there....

It's hard for me to advise you regarding the 990 because I dont know you or your skill level and the decision is very personal to you.......it's very dependant on your attitude/abilities/conditioning and how the bike is set up........some folks like the challenge of riding big/heavy ADV bikes in conditions more suited to Dualsports........some don't......the Manx Wash/Afton Canyon stretch between Barstow and Baker may challenge you/wear you down to the point where you won't really enjoy the remaining ~100+ miles to Laughlin :unsure: .......or maybe you'd be fine with it? :blink: .......I don't know? :huh: .......one thing I will say is that I'd only recommend this ride to you if your 990 is set up with TKCs or some other off-road oriented tires as opposed to slick/street oriented 50/50 tires (regardless of whether you take the lower or upper path to Baker)

So, my personal recommendation to you, or anyone else on the fence about their abilities and/or bike, would be to ride the Adventure track from Barstow to Baker (bypassing a lot of sand/river crossing).......then ride the Mojave Rd. from Kelbaker Rd. to Laughlin......the stretch from Kelbaker Rd. to Laughlin has some challenging sand/whoop sections and you'll be better equipped to enjoy the challenges/scenery if you're not worn out.....

If you wake up Sunday morning feeling like you didn't get worked over enough you can always opt to ride the Afton Canyon/Mojave River Basin stretch on the way back to Barstow ;) .......I'd imagine the group will be split on Sunday.......Soda Dry Lake may or may not be open.......if it is open, I have a track leading across it for the return trip.......some will want to ride across the lake, gas up at Rasor Rd. (as opposed to Baker), and re-ride the Afton Canyon/Mojave River Basin section (the Sunday ride is true to the "Mojave Rd." for the entire stretch between the edge of the CO. River and Barstow which is also the way the book is laid out)........if the lake isn't open, folks will ride up Kelbaker Rd. to Baker, gas up, and then decide if they want to back track on Saturday's stretch down Rasor Rd. to Afton Canyon/Mojave River Basin or hop on the Adventure track back to Barstow......

It'll be a great ride regardless :)

Even though I don't appear to be on the "fence walker" list, I would now like to not appear on the "in" list. I have a room at the Edgewater booked. Looks like I will be carpooling up with Tlking6.

I'd like to do this ride, I will be on my 990 Adv, is this a big bike friendly route?

As you can see from the pics in the first post, DigDug rode his 950ADV with saddlebags on the stretch between US95/Kelbaker when we headed home from Vegas after the 08 LA-B-V ride.......but we kept going south to Joshua Tree on that trip so we didn't ride the western half of Mojave Rd. between Kelbaker and Barstow (the lake was CLOSED on that trip and may be closed again on this trip....we'll have to wait and see)......I haven't ridden the Mojave River Basin/Afton Canyon stretch since 05 and my memory is sketchy on conditions down there....

It's hard for me to advise you regarding the 990 because I don’t know you or your skill level and the decision is very personal to you.......it's very dependant on your attitude/abilities/conditioning and how the bike is set up........some folks like the challenge of riding big/heavy ADV bikes in conditions more suited to Dualsports........some don't......the Manx Wash/Afton Canyon stretch between Barstow and Baker may challenge you/wear you down to the point where you won't really enjoy the remaining ~100+ miles to Laughlin :unsure: .......or maybe you'd be fine with it? :blink: .......I don't know? :huh: .......one thing I will say is that I'd only recommend this ride to you if your 990 is set up with TKCs or some other off-road oriented tires as opposed to slick/street oriented 50/50 tires (regardless of whether you take the lower or upper path to Baker)

So, my personal recommendation to you, or anyone else on the fence about their abilities and/or bike, would be to ride the Adventure track from Barstow to Baker (bypassing a lot of sand/river crossing).......then ride the Mojave Rd. from Kelbaker Rd. to Laughlin......the stretch from Kelbaker Rd. to Laughlin has some challenging sand/whoop sections and you'll be better equipped to enjoy the challenges/scenery if you're not worn out.....

If you wake up Sunday morning feeling like you didn't get worked over enough you can always opt to ride the Afton Canyon/Mojave River Basin stretch on the way back to Barstow ;) .......I'd imagine the group will be split on Sunday.......Soda Dry Lake may or may not be open.......if it is open, I have a track leading across it for the return trip.......some will want to ride across the lake, gas up at Rasor Rd. (as opposed to Baker), and re-ride the Afton Canyon/Mojave River Basin section (the Sunday ride is true to the "Mojave Rd." for the entire stretch between the edge of the CO. River and Barstow which is also the way the book is laid out)........if the lake isn't open, folks will ride up Kelbaker Rd. to Baker, gas up, and then decide if they want to back track on Saturday's stretch down Rasor Rd. to Afton Canyon/Mojave River Basin or hop on the Adventure track back to Barstow......

It'll be a great ride regardless :)

Thanks! Clear as mud.

Thanks! Clear as mud.

I'll be on my big bike too. KTM 620 Adventure.

Thanks! Clear as mud.

I'll be on my big bike too. KTM 620 Adventure.

A "big bike" that he rides like it was a xr100.

Only faster.

A "big bike" that he rides like it was a xr100.

Only faster.

How much do I owe you this time?

Thanks for the nod :)

How much do I owe you this time?

Thanks for the nod :)

You have to let me follow you around on this trip so I don't get lost. Again. Or, when I'm leading, gently but firmly remind me on the radio that I "might have lost the track" without adding "Ponce de Leon" in a nasty tone.

I appreciate that.

Rooms booked. Now to find me a giant loop.. Debating on huge vs. medium one Hobiee/Bar10 or Small Hobiee/Bass Lake

Rooms booked. Now to find me a giant loop.. Debating on huge vs. medium one Hobiee/Bar10 or Small Hobiee/Bass Lake

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/products/mojavitm-saddlebag

The Mojavi is suitable for day trips but I think I'd want something bigger for a multiday trip......

I know Slowdown, Jim and some others like the Wolfman bags........cheaper and more space (though NOT waterproof)

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Enduro/enduro_saddle_bags.html

I have the regular GL, I'd use a MoJavi for this trip if I had one. But I don't. Lucky for whoever is in my group, because I'll carry the dee-luxe first aid kit, thus we won't need it.

I have the Giant Loop Mojavi saddlebag. It's awesome, glad i bought it but it is really a day bag. I was able to get rid of the fanny pack and backpack while using the Mojavi which i really like, and I also use the Wolfman Enduro Tank Bag. For overnighters or multi day trip the next size Giant Loop bag is much better. Or you could use the Mojavi and throw the back pack on.

just what works best for me....

Glenn

Once I put my new chest rig together, I'm gonna need somewhere to put the rest of the junk on my bike...

Once I put my new chest rig together, I'm gonna need somewhere to put the rest of the junk on my bike...

Ooo. I love when you talk about your junk on your bike.

Ooo. I love when you talk about your junk on your bike.

Gotta have somewhere to put the Tungsten ones...

tungsten_balls.jpg

Just keep YOUR junk off MY bike.

Interesting Hijack, I just finished packing my new Wolfman bags for 10+ day Baja ride. I have sleeping bag and pad, clothes, food, cooking supplies and tools and 3 spare tubes. I was going to get a tent but waited to long to find a really small and light tent to get it here in time plus I don't really think I will need it on this ride (I'm going with a Black Diamond Hilite). I am also packing a very large enduro jacket that I will probably only use on my 6 am ride down to the border.

Covered in Gear

post-13540-061266300 1288224557_thumb.jp

post-13540-015503100 1288224580_thumb.jp

post-13540-072885900 1288224597_thumb.jp

Interesting Hijack, I just finished packing my new Wolfman bags for 10+ day Baja ride. I have sleeping bag and pad, clothes, food, cooking supplies and tools and 3 spare tubes. I was going to get a tent but waited to long to find a really small and light tent to get it here in time plus I don't really think I will need it on this ride (I'm going with a Black Diamond Hilite). I am also packing a very large enduro jacket that I will probably only use on my 6 am ride down to the border.

Covered in Gear

Free Beer --I will be over in a hour !

Covered in Gear

Free Beer --I will be over in a hour !

I think u missed the bottom of the sign, but I'll have a cold one for you anyway when you get here.

Covered in Suds

I know Slowdown, Jim and some others like the Wolfman bags........cheaper and more space (though NOT waterproof)

As the owner of both the Wolfman Enduro saddle bags, and a Giant Loop Coyote, the both rock! :wub: :wub: But.....for different purposes. I haven't tried the Mojavi.

Wolfman Saddles are great for day riding....maybe even two day riding, depending on how high maintenance you are (my wife says I am..... :blush: ). I like them, as I don't have to worry about kicking the bike over getting on and off, and it frees up the tail rack if I need to carry extra stuff. I also like how Wolfman products work together, such as their 1L fuel bottle holders strap into the Enduro saddles perfectly. I think you could do this ride with the Wolfman saddles, if you had a tank bag also.

I love the GL Coyote for multi-day, hotel trips. Fits very snug to the bike, straps down without any extra racks, works great and is water-proof-ish. Only drawback is that you lose some of the use of your tail rack and there isn't really segmented spaces, but rather three pouches you put your stuff in.

If you were going to camp (not specific to this ride), I would recommend full saddles such as Wolfman Dry line, as you then have the full tail portion of your bike for tent, sleeping bag, etc if you are high maintenance and carry a lot of crap like I do. Only drawback is you also have to buy the mounting bracket. Carries the stuff lower and is waterproof.

As you can tell, I'm a Wolfman fan. They hooked me op twice with great customer support in addition to having great products.

As the owner of both the Wolfman Enduro saddle bags, and a Giant Loop Coyote, the both rock! :wub: :wub: But.....for different purposes. I haven't tried the Mojavi.

Wolfman Saddles are great for day riding....maybe even two day riding, depending on how high maintenance you are (my wife says I am..... :blush: ). I like them, as I don't have to worry about kicking the bike over getting on and off, and it frees up the tail rack if I need to carry extra stuff. I also like how Wolfman products work together, such as their 1L fuel bottle holders strap into the Enduro saddles perfectly. I think you could do this ride with the Wolfman saddles, if you had a tank bag also.

I love the GL Coyote for multi-day, hotel trips. Fits very snug to the bike, straps down without any extra racks, works great and is water-proof-ish. Only drawback is that you lose some of the use of your tail rack and there isn't really segmented spaces, but rather three pouches you put your stuff in.

If you were going to camp (not specific to this ride), I would recommend full saddles such as Wolfman Dry line, as you then have the full tail portion of your bike for tent, sleeping bag, etc if you are high maintenance and carry a lot of crap like I do. Only drawback is you also have to buy the mounting bracket. Carries the stuff lower and is waterproof.

As you can tell, I'm a Wolfman fan. They hooked me op twice with great customer support in addition to having great products.

But you also ride a WR250 girl bike so is your input really valid? :o

But you also ride a WR250 girl bike so is your input really valid? :o

Just because I don't have to match each hour of riding with an hour of maintenance doesn't mean the input isn't valid! :heh: :heh:

Geez, I leave for a day and this thread migrates all over the place :offtopic::lol:

Some of us are going to ride across Mojave Rd. in a couple of weeks.......if you'd like to join us the info is in the first post.....

Must book Laughlin rooms before 11/7 to get favorable rate