Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Mojave Rd. Ride

In!

***EDIT***

Out!

Edited by Jim

The U-boat Commander and I will probably join you. I do hope there will be deep water crossings so he can feel at home.

The U-boat Commander and I will probably join you. I do hope there will be deep water crossings so he can feel at home.

The only water crossing of any significance is in Afton Canyon.......we'll let Wayne ride in first to be our "depth tester" :)

Here's a video of Bob Cummings (Dave's brother on KTM) and SXP (Samir on WR) riding through on a previous trip:

Just exactly how sandy is it out there?

Did I mention I hate sand!

Hate is a strong term.......if you're serious, stay home......it's in the Mojave DESERT (SAND) and this is a LONG ride at ~175 miles each way.......not a newbie ride but also not high on the difficulty scale (in my opinion) if you've got the endurance......

The Mojave Road is routinely traversed by big/pig bikes and jeeps.......nothing very demanding on it provided you don't get sweaty palms at the thought of a few sandy stretches (like Mojave RIVER basin out of Barstow on the approach to Afton Canyon)......

So, think it over - How experienced are you?......What type of bike are you riding?.....How is your bike equipped in terms of tires/suspension/stabilizer/seat/fuel range (~100 mile minimum - you can bail for gas at Baker)/etc........now forget about the bike, can "you" handle a ~180 mile day?

Any possible way you could post a map or simple directions, so my buddy and I could make the trip on our own schedule? Sounds like a blast of a ride!

I see Old Glory was flying in disgrace there.....Needs to be taken down, burned and replaced with a brand new squeaky fresh one. :coolio:

I see Old Glory was flying in disgrace there.....Needs to be taken down, burned and replaced with a brand new squeaky fresh one. :coolio:

It had been replaced when we rode though last Spring on my Primm Loops ride :)

mojavemailbox.jpg

It had been replaced when we rode though last Spring on my Primm Loops ride :)

The desert is a harsh land. -_-

......I'm thinking the weekend before Thanksgiving (11/20-21) might be a good time to set up a Mojave Rd. ride and take advantage of the deal/rates Randy posted (drive out to Barstow Friday night the 19th, ride to Laughlin on Sat the 20th, ride back to Barstow on Sunday the 21st, drive home Sunday evening)....

Date is unchanged and now FIRM - 11/20-21

I'd like to have a head count by mid October since we'll probably need to book rooms in Barstow/Laughlin a month in advance to assure availability......

Navigation will be by GPS (or by following a rider with a GPS in front of you :lol:).

Is it still mid-enough October? Since LA-B-to V has fallen down/through, I'll just do this ride instead :) I'll get details on Hotels and schedule from Chris this weekend at Bass Lake.

At this Point I am in.

Room Booked at Edgewater

Looks like my Baja plans are changing so I may be in on this as well!

Updated first page with "in" list :good: ....... and indecisive fence walkers :rolleyes:

Fell off the fence and landed on the "in" side. Whats the scoop on reservations?

Chris, what's the longest distance between gas? I'd only trust the Husky for about 110 miles. And where are you planning to stay Friday night in Barstow?

Is it too late to jump in??? Was worried about the daily mileage but did 190 yesterday no problem - but no worries if I'm too late....

Back from Bass Lake now so I'll turn my focus on the Mojave Rd. ride......need to play around with tracks and then I'll give you longest distance between gas stops......hoping I can keep longest stretch between gas stops at around ~100 miles......

Haven't really given much thought to lodging locations.......open to suggestion.......somewhere in Barstow on Friday night and I was thinking we'd stay in Laughlin on Sat night (that's what originally prompted this ride......Randy posted a link to a motel in Laughlin offering "special" rates.....I'll call them).......once we have locations set everyone can call in to make their own reservations (pair up to shave costs)

I won't be riding back to Barstow with you folks on Sunday but I'll set up some tracks to change it up a bit.........I'm going to continue east with saddlebags towards (?)......then loop back to BullHead City (Laughlin area) on Wed....