I went on a ride this weekend and needed to carry a few extra things so in addition to my front fender bag I strapped a brand new fender bag onto the tail section. Seemed pretty secure, but halfway through the ride that fender bag went missing...and so did the contents: spare innertube, spare hose, rescue tape, extra light bulb, and... drum roll please... my Spot tracker.

I forgot that I had actually bolted the front fender bag onto the fender so I could never lose it. Didn't remember to be so clever with the rear bag. While I was bummed to lose my Spot (it wasn't turned on since I only carried it for emergency use), I might've been more perturbed I had lost a brand new fender bag. There's something very annoying about losing something you've used for all of four stinking hours.

Lessons learned:

1. Don't trust fender bags that aren't bolted on.

2. Don't put anything expensive in them.

3. Put your name and phone number in all bags in case they fall off and some honest person might be interested in returning them.

At least I have an excuse to buy the next-generation Spot.

Yeah, I never did like those fender bags with straps that hold inner tubes on the front fender.

safety wire them in place

front bags you usually see

rear bags, you don't... mine are all bolted

Trophy saved my SPOT from a similar fate on a trail ride in Arizona... I had zip tied it in place, using the D rings on the unit... they ALL popped off

I have the spot, and the screws are in place, but no D Rings... thanks again Ken

thanks for the heads up idea..i never thought about bolting one on..too bad you cant track the spot backwards..have the spot people gps locate it...too bad it is not on lol

I think it was KLRoger at Glamis North that told me to drill holes through the fender near the clips and then run a zip tie through the holes and clips/straps to help secure the fender bag.

Now me being lazy, I haven't done this yet, but may just do this before heading out.

lost my fender bag last month with all my regsitration and insurance and couple other things, just fell off while on the street, never found it, never will have one unbolted on again.

well the good thing about safety wire is, you heat it up with a torch, and just push it through the fender... almost invisible, and the hole is perfectly placed

But I bolt the rear bags, and use the straps/wire treatment on the front bags

Hat eto say it, but I don't carry my reg... I'll take the fix it ticket, rather than have to deal with a torn up one (from fender bags) or a wet one (under seat or fender bag)

I suppose I could put it in my wallet, but I'm just a little wild that way :lol:

It was lame... In Arizona, I HAD my license... my insurance card was out of date (although the policy was still valid) had no reg with me... and the cops STILL didn't beat me with a baton

but did he ask if you were a legal citizen???? :lol:

i photo copy my policy and registration onto one sheet the carry a copy in my wallet or in my flight vest/backpack..

Reg is & insurance card is in a sammich baggie wrapped in my crossbar pad. SPOT always on...and on me. If I remember correctly, there's a delay in finding satellites and tracking so I figure if it's an emergency, I don't want to wait for the delay.

On me as plenty have mentioned...if I'm broken and separated from my bike.....

Sorry Z...but like ya said...exused to buy new stuff.

...and I already got the repay from BS for saving my tailbag on our last ride....after it launched....shortly after a loud "kachunk" from the rear (of my bike). Thx Bob.

I went on a ride this weekend and needed to carry a few extra things so in addition to my front fender bag I strapped a brand new fender bag onto the tail section. Seemed pretty secure, but halfway through the ride that fender bag went missing...and so did the contents: spare innertube, spare hose, rescue tape, extra light bulb, and... drum roll please... my Spot tracker.

I forgot that I had actually bolted the front fender bag onto the fender so I could never lose it. Didn't remember to be so clever with the rear bag. While I was bummed to lose my Spot (it wasn't turned on since I only carried it for emergency use), I might've been more perturbed I had lost a brand new fender bag. There's something very annoying about losing something you've used for all of four stinking hours.

Lessons learned:

1. Don't trust fender bags that aren't bolted on.

2. Don't put anything expensive in them.

3. Put your name and phone number in all bags in case they fall off and some honest person might be interested in returning them.

At least I have an excuse to buy the next-generation Spot.

Now your are the second person I have heard that lost the Spot unit and did not have it on? Remeber I'm now a SPOT dealer and have a Special SDAR price. PM me if you would like to know more, Spot has rules for what you can list as a advertised price at 149.00 and I don't know if listing the SDAR price would get me in trouble so that's why the PM. I also still have two promo deals for 50% off the tracking with a new unit.

Thanks Kelly

If I remember correctly it takes the spot up to 10 minutes to get a location... it only takes two batteries, when I leave the house I enter tracking mode and let it go. $1 in batteries can save a $100 tool....

As long as it lands upright!
atleast you could be close..

And that assumes nobody picks up the bag

well the good thing about safety wire is, you heat it up with a torch, and just push it through the fender... almost invisible, and the hole is perfectly placed

Hat eto say it, but I don't carry my reg... I'll take the fix it ticket, rather than have to deal with a torn up one (from fender bags) or a wet one (under seat or fender bag)

I suppose I could put it in my wallet, but I'm just a little wild that way B)

It was lame... In Arizona, I HAD my license... my insurance card was out of date (although the policy was still valid) had no reg with me... and the cops STILL didn't beat me with a baton

Bob is lucky it wasn’t me. I would have beaten him with the ugly stick.

What I have done with my vehicles in the past is make a copy of the papers and then laminate them. You can reduce the font size if the paper work is too large, then you have a smaller card. Just make sure it is readable. Lamination takes care of the tearing and water problems. Then put then onto or attach them to the bike.

I use tiny zip ties because I don’t have safety wire right now and I’m too stupid to remember to buy it when I am in the store. Zip ties or safety wire either way check them for damage once in a while. Replace as needed and your fender bag will not be lost on the road with your spares and tire tools like mine was. :angry:

When I am able to get a spot I will wear it on me because I have a history of being thrown from the bike.

Rogerparkinga08KLRinMojave_edited.jpg

It's a bad week for tail bags I guess. Mine is bolted to the fender, but a seam blew out and I had to track down all my stuff. Got most of it back though. PirateMonkey, let us know what new tail bag you decide to bolt/safety wire on, I'm in the market.

KLRoger--i thought that picture was just you showing a ranger your laminated reg/insur card...personally i dont think the bottom of the skid plate is the best place for it.. :angry:

It's a bad week for tail bags I guess. Mine is bolted to the fender, but a seam blew out and I had to track down all my stuff. Got most of it back though. PirateMonkey, let us know what new tail bag you decide to bolt/safety wire on, I'm in the market.

I had a dirtbike-specific tail bag that was bolted on and the zipper blew out on *that*, which resulting in a bunch of lost tools. :)

I'm getting a rack built for the Husky so I can strap a small bag onto it -- I think I'll have better luck with that arrangement. I've never lost anything strapped to the rack on my DRZ so I'm hoping for the same success. The added bonus is a good place to grab when I have to pick the bike up yet again.

I have been carrying most of my tools in an Ogio waist pack, but it's about at max weight for comfort. The problem with that is I have it cinched down to the tightest possible fit and it's still not snug so it jumps up and down if I'm doing anything whoopy. Maybe they do that even when snugged up? Perhaps I have a "Princess and the Pea" problem...

I have been carrying most of my tools in an Ogio waist pack, but it's about at max weight for comfort. The problem with that is I have it cinched down to the tightest possible fit and it's still not snug so it jumps up and down if I'm doing anything whoopy.

Try getting it a whoopy cushion. :)

did you take those photos fakey?? :lazy:

pirate have you tried the ogio flight vest...i really like mine over a fanny pack. :)

did you take those photos fakey?? :lazy:

pirate have you tried the ogio flight vest...i really like mine over a fanny pack. :)

Well,now that you mention it, yes, I created several of those. Not the crappy ones.

Something to consider about a vest- the weight is carried on your shoulders, which compresses the spine. I tend to overload mine, and my back is sore thereafter.

Not so good.

I received one of those fanny packs as a gift from a generous donor... I THINK I can get it to work WITH my Ogio vest, and twin fender bags to spread out the weight (my belongings, not my gut)

where is the chase Jeep when you need one? Really... If I am riding alone, I probably need all the stuff I carry, but if I'm riding with Strega/Ozzy/fake name, I'll just bring water

And while you're there, take a moment to breathe deeply from the artistic expression of their product photography. Beautiful, no?

So beautiful I ordered one.

As for the vest & fanny pack, I stand more often then I sit, and I figure my legs will last longer if I limit how much weight I carry on me.

i agree that the weight is on your spine/shoulders...but it is way better than a back pack, and it spreads the weight out really well for me. it is very balanced feels good over my chest protector