DangerMonkey

Moving to San Diego from Phoenix

Hi Everyone,

My family and I are in the process of moving from Phoenix to San Diego. I'm currently in temp housing in Sabre Springs but in July the rest of the family and all our belongings, including three bikes, move into a house in Poway. I enjoy DS and street riding but mainly the former. I'm an intermediate when off-road and somewhat better than that on the street. I'm looking for folks to go riding with and explore SD county. Below is a shot taken from a ride last weekend in Arizona with my riding buddies. I'm looking for similiar places in SD County. Any suggestions?

IMG_2436.jpg

And speaking of places like the above, when flying into SD I see plenty of roads in the last 40 or so miles on final approach to Lindbergh field. It's between the Buckman Springs road exit on I-8 and Spring Valley. Is this area open to DS bikes? Any permits needed?

21ab390d.jpg

I'd also like to get to this place, also on final to Lindbergh field. Anyone know how to get there and what it's called?

060a21b7.jpg

Thanks!

Bill, Welcome aboard! You landed in the right spot for local knowledge of DS. Plenty of open areas around. Look forward to a ride & always open for exploring.

Great group here!

Welcome! I'm right around the corner in Sorrento Valley, Kelly is in Penasquitos, DSFox in Poway as well. Lotta local riding to be done!!

that is san miguel mountain access is from proctor valley but its gated and off limits . but has great veiws of everywhere.

welcome to the group.

Welcome to San Diego. Wow those are some big fast bikes you have there! KTM 950 SE! :wacko: Some of those roads may be around Otay. If so most of those roads are open. Much of the forest lands are closed to riding, but I’m sure members will show you the open areas. It’s a big county with varied terrain. Just keep an eye on up coming rides and don’t sing like fakename.

Welcome aboard. Probably we can find you a nice mountaintop with a view somewhere around here. :wacko:

Welcome dangermonkey! any relation to piratemonkey?

Ha

We have lots of different terrain to explore....unfortunately I am an intermediate in the dirt and less on the road.

We have lots of different terrain to explore....unfortunately I am an intermediate in the dirt and less on the road.

Don't ride like BikeSlut, especially in the areas you pictured. I found it interesting that you picked a few of the riding spots right off the bat. Just southwest of Buckman/8 is the Pine Valley and Corral Canyon riding areas, frequented for those of too lazy or too busy to go all the way to the desert of Big Bear to ride.

The vista you showed looks a lot like the Otay Mountain area- check the ride reports, lots of info there.

Most of all, welcome, and thanks for checking in!

that is san miguel mountain access is from proctor valley but its gated and off limits . but has great veiws of everywhere.

welcome to the group.

Thanks.

Can one ride at least part of the way up the mountain?

Is it possible to ride to the top of Lyon Peak?

Welcome.....plenty of great rides here, and up in Big Bear for summer, it is a bit cooler.....I'm in Poway also....let's ride...

Welcome to the San Diego County community. Beezzz and I live near Lyons Peak, as far as Iknow, there is no way up there, but near it is Lawson Peak. And Beezzz knows a few of the trails down here in the areas you took pics of as you approach Lindberg. Does you wife ride too? Kids?

Wonderwoman

your pictures look NOTHING like the phoenix i have been to....is there another phoenix? B)

welcome to the group :o

Welcome to the San Diego County community. Beezzz and I live near Lyons Peak, as far as Iknow, there is no way up there, but near it is Lawson Peak. And Beezzz knows a few of the trails down here in the areas you took pics of as you approach Lindberg. Does you wife ride too? Kids?

Wonderwoman

My wife doesn't ride but she's knows how much I enjoy it so she doesn't have a problem when I go. Our dogs are our kids.

Looking forward to getting the bikes to SD and riding.