So now I am looking at the Spot 2 after loosing the Spot 1. The Spot 1 had a belt clip that the new Spot 2 does not have. How are you carrying the Spot 2?

I've seen a lot of guys put them in the top pocket of a tank bag, with a clear cover. Not sure how I'd carry a SPOT2, maybe one of the RAM mounts?

SPOT 2 comes with a carrying strap that also protects the device. The strap also has a clip. I bought mine off eBay with an included RAM mount. So there are 3 options aside from the missing clip.

I keep mine on a Ram mount which is on my bar clamps.

The Spot II comes with an armband holder......Jim keeps his Spot (using the armband holder) on the left side of his Ogio vest. After I saw that, I may move mine.

Makes sense....fall off bike and need help....now you need to crawl to wherever the bike is to hit your Spot.

There is a picture of his placement somewhere in these threads.....

The Spot II comes with an armband holder......Jim keeps his Spot (using the armband holder) on the left side of his Ogio vest. After I saw that, I may move mine.

Makes sense....fall off bike and need help....now you need to crawl to wherever the bike is to hit your Spot.

I have seen the ram mounts and other bar holders, but like Jim I want to keep it on me.

yeah- this is a bit 'o a dilemma for me. The tracking feature does not work well unless the unit is horizontal, and outside of duct taping it to the top of my head, I don't know how I can carry it that way.

Spot 2 owners- has the new antenna improved that shortfall?

yeah- this is a bit 'o a dilemma for me. The tracking feature does not work well unless the unit is horizontal, and outside of duct taping it to the top of my head, I don't know how I can carry it that way.

Spot 2 owners- has the new antenna improved that shortfall?

I have yet lost signal......then again with my placement (same as Bagster"s) it is horizontal........I did check it again after leaving some gear over the Spot at a stop for quite some time......still had signal through the jersey and chest protector.

Probably didn't help much.........but,............"Made you look!" :unsure:

For those of you interested in the SPOT 2 check with Kelly (SocalHodaka). I think he was looking into either becoming a dealer for them or a group deal of some sort.

For those of you interested in the SPOT 2 check with Kelly (SocalHodaka). I think he was looking into either becoming a dealer for them or a group deal of some sort.

Yes, I'm meeting with the Spot Rep next Wednesday.

In the GSA, I keep it mounted to the bar with ram mount.

On any offoad bike I keep it in my Flight Vest or Tool Bag depening on the ride

Here is where I wear Spot 2. I wear it there, as opposed to the bike, because I have heard of guys with broken legs that couldn't crawl to their bike. Used to wear it on the back of my CamelBak, but if you get a broken arm/shoulder/something, it could be awfully painful to get the Camel off to hit the help buttons. Figured this way, the only way I couldn't call for help is that if I land on my belly and couldn't roll over, or had two broken arms. Even with two broken arms, if on my back at least they will know where I'm at.

As to where to carry it, I get almost every single message out. On the last Primm/Bar 10 ride, there were only three normal messages that didn't get out the entire two days. All OK messages to my wife made it. I think the horizontal thing is for ideal signal messaging, but I tell ya, I hardly ever miss a message no matter when/where I am riding. And as you can see, it is more vertical than horizontal. Seems the Spot 2 has much better messaging than Spot 1.

To kind of prove the point, see this post of mine. Even if every tracking message doesn't get out (which I have over a 95% success rate on the Flight Vest), as long as the 911/SOS feature works, that is the most important.

In all the stuff to carry, survival is the most crucial. The #1 item for survival is water. The #2 item is my Spot. I can do without food for a couple of days if necessary, but I can't survive without water. If I have the Spot, I can get in touch to tell someone I'm in need of help. These are the two most essential things for me to carry. The rest is "nice" to have, as long as I'm not bleeding out.....

Go for a ride with it whereever you like and give it a test. I think most will be surprised how well Spot 2 works.

There is a picture of his placement somewhere in these threads.....

I miss the days of riding with a canteen on my hip, some beef jerkey in my pocket, my swiss army knife and no idea where I was.

"it's sitting vertical, and it's within the designated no-proximity zone to a gps."

786463822_DW3kv-L.jpg

786463702_5rB69-L.jpg

Ball Mount means they are "rotatable" to many positions.

I have read about the separation, mine both work fine as long as

the SPOT1 is stationary when transmitting. My setup does block the idiot lights

and unreadable speedo, but the Garmin takes care of Mileage.

FN, I hope you are feeling better this AM

Please let me know , I would like to buy a spot nad whatever else i need for it.

Very interested in getting one of these. Please keep us in the loop!

I really need a spot device, but I have found them to be way to expensive...I know they are worth what they cost, but I don't have the money for it, PLUS the service (70$?)

Where is the cheapest place to buy one?

You won't find much of a discount- you MIGHT save a little on the unit itself, but there's no discount on the service.

I really need a spot device, but I have found them to be way to expensive...I know they are worth what they cost, but I don't have the money for it, PLUS the service (70$?)

Job?

It is all relative. The spot unit is about the cost of a set of tires. One years worth of service is less than the cost of 2 months worth of my life insurance.

If I was riding alone and was injured.... well at least I have that life insurance :blink: . If you can't afford it, I suggest you ride with someone else that has one.

Being young and single, I am sure you have different priorities than those of us with a family to support. Ken

$70 a month? $6 a month?

That is sofa change... I'm sure anybody that felt the NEED to have one, could find a way to afford one...

That's two gallons of gas a month...

NOW- if anybody can't justify the cost, I have no issues with it, and fact is we ALL lived without one for years... they are NOT a necessity...

I think the cost is about $12 a month.

Kelly I will wait to see what happens before ordering. Please let us know.

I hear ya on "expensive"... but, considering it could save your life... it's PRICELESS!

... I've ridden with one since the SPOT1 came out, in fact we tested'em in the Baja1000 in '07 and I learned a lot. (see this video for me trying to make sure it's on, as I jump on the bike at minute 4:25)

Here is where I wear Spot 2. I wear it there, as opposed to the bike, because I have heard of guys with broken legs that couldn't crawl to their bike. Used to wear it on the back of my CamelBak, but if you get a broken arm/shoulder/something, it could be awfully painful to get the Camel off to hit the help buttons. Figured this way, the only way I couldn't call for help is that if I land on my belly and couldn't roll over, or had two broken arms. Even with two broken arms, if on my back at least they will know where I'm at.

As to where to carry it, I get almost every single message out. On the last Primm/Bar 10 ride, there were only three normal messages that didn't get out the entire two days. All OK messages to my wife made it. I think the horizontal thing is for ideal signal messaging, but I tell ya, I hardly ever miss a message no matter when/where I am riding. And as you can see, it is more vertical than horizontal. Seems the Spot 2 has much better messaging than Spot 1.

SAME EXACT place I mount mine (see here)... as I did with my SPOT1, and now my SPOT2. Perfect placement!

... and I agree with all ya said. Well put!

Are you using the SPOT holster on those? What's the backside of the SPOT2 look like? I understand it has no belt hook?