Hello all! My name is Mike and I moved to SD back in July of '09. I rode dirtbikes back when I was growing up in Kentucky, and when I moved out here to SD I brought along my Honda VFR. I no longer have the trusty Viffer, so I am in the market for a new bike. I have been reading adv ride reports for several years now, and it is definitely time to switch to a new type of riding, adventure. Right now I am looking mostly for a used WR250R (or x, would through dual sport tires on it). I look forward to seeing you all out on the trails!

Welcome to the group! I'm sure you'll see TrophyHunter and some others posting up links to bike deals. Click the "View New Posts" link up top and that's an easy way to see if any new bike posts have been submitted. Good luck in your search! (Even if you do wanna join the girl bike club with the 250R, couple people have em here and love em :blink:)

welcome to the club.... ignore "girl bike" comments about 250 Yamahas... SOME people need to "make up" for shortcomings with BUYING a big bore

Welcome to the club. Plenty of riders here like their little bikes for the dirt. See you on a ride. :blink:

Haha, the wr250r/x owners sure love their bikes; exact reason I'm looking at them.

Well as far as bikes go, I'm definitely open to suggestions. I was looking mainly at KLR's but determined that it would just be too damn heavy. I want this bike to be able to tackle the TAT, with the luggage that is associated for that trip, but still tear it up in the desert.

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Mike

Haha, the wr250r/x owners sure love their bikes; exact reason I'm looking at them.

Welcome...... :blink::D:)

TAT? 250R might handle that well, or I know a guy that might be selling a low mileage well maintained '02 KTM 640 with big kid suspension and bags :blink:

TAT? 250R might handle that well, or I know a guy that might be selling a low mileage well maintained '02 KTM 640 with big kid suspension and bags :D

PM Sent! :blink:

TAT?? Trans America Trail maybe..

Welcome to the board Mike.

Indeed. Although the other thing is nice too. :blink:

TAT?? Trans America Trail I think..

Welcome to the board Mike.

The 'TAT?' comment was more of a 'hrmmmm, the TAT huh?'. Figured it was the Trans America Trail. :blink:

I seem to remember someone selling an awesome WR400 pretty cheap...Not sure who it was.

Welcome!

I seem to remember someone selling an awesome WR400 pretty cheap...Not sure who it was.

Welcome!

Welcome!

Now I must ask since I too lived in Kentucky for a but growing up. Where in KY?

welcome to the group Mike....good luck with your search, and see you on a ride soon....

Welcome Mike!

If it's not too personal, what's the bike budget? Lotsa folks with different bike history here so it'd help in throwin' ideas out there. Here's Ericks WR400. Yeah, it's older but will do anything you put it's mind to.

Lotsa 250R support too.

Happy hunting and I'll buy your first beverage at the SDAR meeting.

Welcome aboard. I've ridden with the wr400 rider. I can vouch that it goes :ph34r:

Welcome! You too can join the "Crawdaddy girl-bike posse"! He is our fearless (well, he does ride a girl bike) leader. He convinced me and a few others.

Welcome!

Welcome!

Now I must ask since I too lived in Kentucky for a but growing up. Where in KY?

I lived in Union, KY just south of Cincy. Great area. Twenty minutes from Cincy, but 5 minutes from the sticks. Great area to grow up with motorcycles!

-Mike

I lived in Union, KY just south of Cincy. Great area. Twenty minutes from Cincy, but 5 minutes from the sticks. Great area to grow up with motorcycles!

-Mike

I know the area anf the feeling. I was Frankfort. 5 minutes from the sticks 20 from Lexington and 40 from Louisville.

I llook forward to seeing you around!

First off, intro beers are definitely on the new guy.

My budget is somewhat flexible, but if I could snag a bike and the necessary luggage (with or without bike) for around 4.5k that would be nice. I should probably start a new thread in the appropriate forum...

I might have just have to get a wr250r just to support the existing group! Sure do catch a lot of flack, but from what I understand there isn't much to discuss after seeing the little bike on the trails, haha.

-Mike

And so it begins.

2006 Husky Te450 with a few nice mods and 6.4k miles. I'll be tearing it down, checking valves, fantastic trip to the DMV, and cleaning her up this week. The first thing I will have to do if fix that damn seat. It really needs to be flat. Unfortunately the in-laws are coming into town next weekend and are staying all week. It is pure torture to buy a bike and have to let it sit. Thank you all who helped me look for bikes and help me make a decision. I especially have to thank TrophyHunter for forwarding me countless Craigslist ads!

Completely mandatory pics:

Ghetto rear brake pedal. This HAS to be replaced.

DSC_6136.jpg

DSC_6135.jpg

Pretty good looking rear shock. No seeping oil or anything.

DSC_6134.jpg

Well used stock exhaust.

DSC_6133.jpg

Dashboard view.

DSC_6131.jpg

Right engine.

DSC_6129.jpg

Left engine. You can see some rust in there :lol:.

DSC_6122.jpg

Chain and sprocket wear.

DSC_6121.jpg

I forgot to take a whole bike picture with my Nikon, but here is one from my phone.

2010-04-17%2016.52.37.jpg

Yup, Guts wide flat. Sprocket/chain looks ok to me, yes the brake pedal needs help, and I'd check to see if that little metal plate is not covering a hole in the case.

Welcome to the club, and beer's on you- I read that!