dsfox

04CRF250X street legal AZ

Need opinions from the experts...seriously in Market for a lighter bike....with electric start....(For my brother in Tuscon, az)

It would stay registered in Arizona...What do you guys think of this?....232 lbs sounds refreshing...

if not this bike something similar..Perhaps Yz250F later models with electric start?..How do these compare?...other choices may include Husky TE250, KTM'S, BETA'S...probably need something with Linkage that can be lowered....so some KTM'S and Husky's no go....

2004 Honda CRF250X- Street Legal Dual Purpose-- from craigs list Tuscon....

"I have around $8,500 in it with the following aftermarket parts:

-White Brothers exhaust -Motoworks skid plate -Acerbis aluminum hand guards

-Trail-Tech electronic speedometer/trip meter (programmable functions for maintenance) -CnC 3.8 gallon fuel tank -Factory keyed ignition switch

-Hi-Low beam switch

-Micro carbon fiber turn signals -Brake light/tag mount -UNI air filter -DOT approved Dunlap tires

-Horn and mirror -32 tooth rear chain wheel (to increase top speed/ lower RPM)

How many miles?

He said garaged always, and only used for occasional rec riding, but started every couple weeks.

I hear 2 strokes, lawn mower, quads, golf carts can all be made street legal without issue in Arizona. If I were you I'd find a more reasonably priced dirt bike that you like and plate it.

I hear 2 strokes, lawn mower, quads, golf carts can all be made street legal without issue in Arizona. If I were you I'd find a more reasonably priced dirt bike that you like and plate it.

Thanks, yes, I hear there are 2 kinds of plates over there....the real kind (this one has) and an OHV only plate, which allows limited street access...

trouble here in Cal is....if it wasn't MADE for street, pretty impossible to get a plate here nowadays....how I wish....keep waiting for that KTM dual sport 300 they keep promising, not that I can afford THAT....

he's asking $3500

As long as you aren't planning on doing a lot of street miles you should be fine. My wife test rode my buddies 250X and really loved it. Having one with a plate would be even better.

You are not far off. My brother who lives in Lake Havasu has his Dune Buggy street legal. In Page I see many quads that have been made street legal.

232 lbs sounds refreshing...

I'd be nervous about this claim. I rode one of these a couple weeks ago out in the dez and it felt heavier than that to me.

Sounds like a fun bike, but according to this article it has a 37.9" seat height, higher than a 450r and weighs in at 241 lbs; still well under 300.

Another gripe I had about the X was later in the day we tried to get into the carb to clear out a plugged idle jet. I was amazed at the stuff that had to be pulled go get to the carb. The alum frame made it nearly impossible to get to. Other than that it seemed okay.

I own a 250x and I love it. It is light and nimble with plenty of power. I wish I had a street legal one.

That being said...I "heard" that 04&05's can have valve issues. If you really wanted this particular bike then I would grill the person about maintenance and valve adjustments with receipts.

steve

I own a 250x and I love it. It is light and nimble with plenty of power. I wish I had a street legal one.

That being said...I "heard" that 04&05's can have valve issues. If you really wanted this particular bike then I would grill the person about maintenance and valve adjustments with receipts.

steve

sorry dirt diver but it is all crf models with valve train troubles....crf450r crf250r crf450r crf450x all of the unicam motors just eat valve trains.

no way i would use one as a ds bike. especially a 250

the only 250f i would plate {if i could} would be a yamaha, with the 5 valve head the valves are smaller and lighter so each valve is easier on the cams and valve springs and seats. they are the only 250f with any real longevity of life.

dont mean to pick on your scooter DD, ask any knowledgeable repair shop, they love honda 250f's, great source of income ;)

deb just so you know you don't have to have linkage to lower suspension. this weekend you can ride kim's lowered 250 exc, its not much on low end power (yet, 350 kit on it's way) but she can flat foot two feet easily.

thanks everyone...I have looked at a couple yzf's on craigs list...a couple with plates, some of them have spec weights of under 210.......good to know the valve stuff on hondas.....hobiee, thanks for the offer, that would be cool.....I Love the KTM's for weight, and they certainly seem to be the most riden DS bikes out there.......great to learn all this...I will take my time to find the perfect bike..still have 2 plated versions for now....Need to dump or possibly trade in the quad for some extra bargaining cash too...