BrendenSD

Helmet Radio System

I'm shopping around for a radio and I think I know which one I want to get.

So now I'm looking at the helmet setups and I've come across 2 options so far.

Option #1 is only $56 and looks like it will do what I want.

Option #2 is $195 and is strongly endorsed by SDAR's very own Strega.

StregaRadio.bmp

How much are they paying you Roger? :party:

So what's the difference? Does the extra $140 just get you a cool baja designs sticker or is there something more going on here? Having never played around with this stuff puts me at a disadvantage.

So what's the difference?

Option #1 - *probably* only good for communicating while stopped because the microphone is likely NOT noise cancelling……

Option #2 – able to communicate clearly on the fly at speeds up to ~60mph

The $140 more gets you additional durability. You have to remember that on a motorcycle the cables are always moving around, getting caught on things, etc. The kit I have is from PCI and was $200 just for the wiring harness but it is the system that all of my buddies that race in Baja use so I figured it was worth the $$.

Chances are that if you do go with option 1 you will be replacing it with option 2 within a few months of hard riding.

Just my 2cents. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the feedback Crawdaddy and Rexr.

I will spend the extra $$ for quality and it sounds like that's what I'm getting here.

Hopefully I'll be plugged in by the time the Dash rolls around.

about wearing one, can you still listen to music while riding?

From the LITTLE research I have done there is not a clean and easy solution. You can use a splitter on the audio cable but then you would have both music and voice coming in at the same time. The other option is using an electronic mixer like the Mix-It2 Multiplexer or something similar..

Hopefully someone else has found an easy solution as I am interested as well.

The newer BD helmet kit has a little pigtail for additional input- N2TM has one and uses it with an iPod. I use some cheap isolating earbuds for the iPod that provide some noise protection as well. I can hear my radio easily over the music.

I used to use a chatterbox on my street bike helmet.......Chatterbox has an input for a MP3 and cuts off the music if someone is talking on the radio.......but it is FRS only.

Currently, I use the same as Fakename. The radio is louder than my MP3 player

I've been using a Chatterbox with the guys I usually ride with for about four years now. I just had to replace the headset because stuff had become all gunked up (I might sweat a little bit) but other than that I (we) have had no complaints. Good enough range, once set the vox works well and you can plug an iPod in which cancels when the someone talks on the radio and the battery easily lasts all day. My only complaint is the durability of the clip that holds it to the helmet which breaks too easily, but maybe it's better that way if you crash? I just carry a spare bracket with me.

Oh, and you can get the Chatterbox in GMRS too. I have one of those too but don't use it very often.

http://hamradio.com/web/gif/ft250r.jpg

Picked up the FT270R Handheld. Read the Operation section. Studying the Technicians Class License Prep book.

To you experienced users, please to answer a couple of questions.

Do I need to select a particular 144MHz band for "our" bike to bike use?

Adjust the squelch and set the power level. Power level to Med or Low for long battery life??

Plug into the Baja Design PPT and Headset = Ready to go?

I read the discussion about programming with software. What's up with that?

Thanks people. Hope to hear the chatter, and singing, at the Desert Dash.

Up to Baja Design, Diego was helpful with my questions. Bought adapters for both the Yaesu 5watt and Motorola FRS.

Talked you him about the D.D. and all the people in the club using their gear.

Unless you have your HAM license you cannot legally use any freq between 144 and 148 as that is reserved for the 2 Meter HAM band. I would imagine for the Desert Dash Randy or someone will pick a frequency above 148 that we will all use.

Diego was helpful with my questions. Bought adapters for both the Yaesu 5watt and Motorola FRS.

Talked you him about the D.D. and all the people in the club using their gear.[/font][/size]

I talked to him and placed my order for the system yesterday. He mentioned a recent flux of orders. If you're using the Yaesu, you'll probably need the CT-91 adapter.

Diego was helpful with my questions. Bought adapters for both the Yaesu 5watt and Motorola FRS.

Talked you him about the D.D. and all the people in the club using their gear.[/font][/size]

I talked to him and placed my order for the system yesterday. He mentioned a recent flux of orders. If you're using the Yaesu, you'll probably need the CT-91 adapter.

Picked it up with the Radio and it works with the BD System

Unless you have your HAM license you cannot legally use any freq between 144 and 148 as that is reserved for the 2 Meter HAM band. I would imagine for the Desert Dash Randy or someone will pick a frequency above 148 that we will all use.

I'm reading, I'm reading as fast as possible and have the test locations.

This is completely true.

You will, however, find many riders both unlicensed and otherwise using 141.050 as a simplex, bike-to-bike frequency without standard radio protocols. They do so with virtually no perceptible effect on the ham radio operators or their privileges. I would say if you were riding the DD and just about any other SDAR ride using 141.050 you would be able to talk with other riders.

This is completely true.

You will, however, find many riders both unlicensed and otherwise using 141.050 as a simplex, bike-to-bike frequency without standard radio protocols. They do so with virtually no perceptible effect on the ham radio operators or their privileges. I would say if you were riding the DD and just about any other SDAR ride using 141.050 you would be able to talk with other riders.

Agreed.. I used mine for years before I got my HAM license.. Like you said we just used simplex frequencies outside of the published 2 meter band.

I am going to assume by your post that 141.050 is the SDAR freq so I will program that into my radio.

Thanks,

You can't legally use frequencies outside the ham band either . . .

Each frequency band comes with it's on set of rules that define how that frequency allocation can be used. Many of the bands require that the radio equipment being used with the band be type certified for use on that frequency/service.

Amateur radios, even if modified to operate outside the ham band can not legally operate on those frequencies because the radio has not been certified for use there.

Just checked the table of frequency allocations to verify. There is no non-government allocation at 141.050 MHz. The applicable footnote in the table says that the use of the frequencies in the 138 to 144 MHz range is limited primarily to military operations.

Use at your own risk.

Just my opinion, but I'd not be posting frequencies you can't legally use on a public forum . . . :lol:

I'll skirt the frequency conversation and simply state that with the online tests available, $5, and a free Saturday anyone can pass the exam and get their license.

I just put in my Baja Designs set up on the bike and in the helmet. It took me a long time to get the speakers in the ear holes so that they don't fold or interfere with my ears. I didn't velcro the speakers in and will keep trying different locations before I make them semi permanent in the helmet. The push to talk was easy and is on my clutch perch, but I need to find a way to route the wires from my camel back to their plugs because I don't like the idea of them hanging so loose when I have a tendency to crash into everything on the trail that can and will snag wires.

The way I have it now I was able to talk with people via the Palomar repeater and they said I was somewhat soft, but clear.

All in all, I'm really impressed with the quality of the BD stuff and although it was pricey, I think it's worth it from everything I've heard plus they're local and Diego has taken care of me with a bunch of stuff from batteries to wiring questions.

Just checked the table of frequency allocations to verify. There is no non-government allocation at 141.050 MHz. The applicable footnote in the table says that the use of the frequencies in the 138 to 144 MHz range is limited primarily to military operations.

Use at your own risk.

Just my opinion, but I'd not be posting frequencies you can't legally use on a public forum . . . :unsure:

Yeah, that was my bad. 146.050 is a frequently used frequency. 141xxx is another number in my life unrelated to radios, and I always confuse them. Thanks for the correx.

I recently purchased the Baja Designs kit, Yaesu FT-60 radio, and obtained my license.

Question:

Which direction does the boom mic go? Bump pointed toward or away from your mouth. Thanks for the help...

I recently purchased the Baja Designs kit, Yaesu FT-60 radio, and obtained my license.

Question:

Which direction does the boom mic go? Bump pointed toward or away from your mouth. Thanks for the help...

If it's a sharp, small bump, it goes away from the mouth. I believe that's all they're releasing now- there was another type. Best way is to rempve the little foam condom- it should be clear.