Sign in to follow this  
socalhodaka

Another Tire Fixing Question

OK so I'm pretty good at using the Atlas tire machine at the shop, I had been thinking about the fact that I may need to to a trail fix sometime. So today I decided to spoon on a new set of tires on the Husky that I have for sale, that 02 CR 250.

What gave me the biggest headache was, getting the valve stem into the hole. Hey I'm talking 15 min. I watch the videos from the Bridge Stone guy and he just pops it right in.

Any secrets, I'm going to start doing more on and off practice in the drive with the pack tools. I don't what to be that guy that holds up the group fumble on a tire.

I know this may be a cruse, but either I don't ride enough or I have great luck. I have never had a flat, but I'm sure one is coming.

Thanks Kelly

Practice, practice, practice. And get one of those little beadholder tools from Motionpro. They have a trailpack sized one now.

I know this may be a cruse, but either I don't ride enough or I have great luck. I have never had a flat, but I'm sure one is coming.

Thanks Kelly

Quick! edit this out!

:lol:

Practice, practice, practice. And get one of those little beadholder tools from Motionpro. They have a trailpack sized one now.

Right, I don't have a problem getting the tire on. I do have the bead buddy and like spoons better then irons. But its just getting the valve stem though the hole, like I can't get my hand in enough tho press it into the hole. I did order a snake today so maybe that is the secret.

Other thing is have a ton of Windex to use for lube in the shop works wonders, does anyone carry any kind of lube on the trail?

Other thing is have a ton of Windex to use for lube in the shop works wonders, does anyone carry any kind of lube on the trail?

I always bring a tiny bottle of dish soap.

Right, I don't have a problem getting the tire on. I do have the bead buddy and like spoons better then irons. But its just getting the valve stem though the hole, like I can't get my hand in enough tho press it into the hole. I did order a snake today so maybe that is the secret.

When I am changing just a tire and not a tube, I don't ever take the stem out of the hole. The whole tube may be hanging out there by just it's stem on the rim. Then the stem is where I start, to put the new tire on.

I always bring a tiny bottle of dish soap.

OK, I'm glad you know what I was talking about. You know lube on the tire bead to get it over the rim.

I set myself up on that one, don't worry guy's.

When changing tires in the field, I don't use any "wet" lube at all. The dirt, dust, sand sticks to everything that gets wet. I carry a small bottle of baby powder and use it all over the tube and inside of the tire. :lol: Ken

After messing around with your tire, you'll usually be sweating enough to lube the tire bead just fine.

The first few times I did my own tire/tube swaps I had trouble with everything. After some practice it's all getting easier, still not a tire changing expert but I do okay.

I carry soap and water for the tire...I've tried powder for just the tube before, but that doesn't help slip the tire into place, nor help seat the bead.

But I'm a hack

EVERY time i have dealt with tubes, i mean were talking like 3-4 times, so no expert by any means...

i would have KILLED for that valve stem puller...

:rolleyes:...had his first flat last dirt ride...so THAT monkey is off his back.... :lol:

Having changed more than a few tyres and tubes the best way I found by far was to always take off tyre and tube complete togther, and then re-install same way. Depends a bit on rim locks, I always set up rims when running tubes with single rim lock near valve stem as KTM do and that is easiset but if you have 2 rim locks on rear or rim lock opposite valve stem it is still best way, just needs bit more time and patience. I have not used these valve stem pullers, not seen them before this but do not like the idea of pulling in valve stem to get it through, sure it can work but could do more damage, would rather take a few seconds to pull tyre off completely so it can be fully checked for damage etc before putting tube back in.

Sure there are lots of videos out there but this one from dunlop guy that shows technique I use (if it works), stand is nice help and bead buddy he uses really are not necessary but make things easier in workshop.

Same technique is used for changing tyre with mousse tubes or tireballs, just a bit more difficult and needs more levers, especially getting tyre off to start.

Dai

Grrr,

Just put a new rear D606 on, first tire change ever...I'm beat. :)

Gotta do my time though, there's no one to pay to fix a flat when you're 20 miles into the bush.

Grrr,

Just put a new rear D606 on, first tire change ever...I'm beat. :)

Gotta do my time though, there's no one to pay to fix a flat when you're 20 miles into the bush.

You are right!

Even after you get it down you still need to continue to practice. Maybe not as much as Bikeslut the King of Pinchflats but it still pays to do it yourself.

I changed out four tires in the last two days and even after 50 years of doing it I can still screw up!

I recently bought three new 2ft long tire irons from Harbor Freight and got a little carried away with overconfidence and lack of caution and pinched a new $26 Moose Heavy Duty tube while prying on a new D606. Had to go buy another one. My Bad. :angry:

Even after you get it down you still need to continue to practice. Maybe not as much as Bikeslut the King of Pinchflats but it still pays to do it yourself.

I changed out four tires in the last two days and even after 50 years of doing it I can still screw up!

I recently bought three new 2ft long tire irons from Harbor Freight and got a little carried away with overconfidence and lack of caution and pinched a new $26 Moose Heavy Duty tube while prying on a new D606. Had to go buy another one. My Bad. :)

Cell phone pic of Zenosan taking a 26yr old tube out of a 26yr old tire......now he buys $26 tubes......

0923081823.jpg

I recently bought three new 2ft long tire irons from Harbor Freight and got a little carried away with overconfidence and lack of caution and pinched a new $26 Moose Heavy Duty tube while prying on a new D606. Had to go buy another one. My Bad. :unsure:

Cell phone pic of Zenosan taking a 26yr old tube out of a 26yr old tire......now he buys $26 tubes......

You think that is bad, my 79 390wr has it's original Trellaborg front tire and tube. I rode it all over Ocotillo Wells during Xmas a few weeks ago. Never had a flat with a Trellaborg tire. :D

You think that is bad, my 79 390wr has it's original Trellaborg front tire and tube. I rode it all over Ocotillo Wells during Xmas a few weeks ago. Never had a flat with a Trellaborg tire. B)

Pretty sure "wood" wheels don't go flat....they just break :o:unsure::D:P

woodenwheel.jpg