SDlineman

Glamis North KOA family adventure

After being inspired by Spyder, and volunteered by Crawdaddy, I decided it would be fun to do a family adventure run. I thought the first weekend of March would give everyone a chance plan accordingly, and give everyone enough time to recover from the DD. The campground has another small group that weekend, but plenty of room for us too, and it should still be cool enough for everyone. The riding is open to all bikes- plated, red, and green stickered. Right now I would just like to get a rough idea of how many people are interested, and maybe how sure you are that you can make it. RV sites will be around $40, and they also have cabins for rent and tent sites.

Campground website

Here's the list so far:

SDLineman-RV site

BikeSlut-Cabin

Hobiee-Cabin

Crawdaddy-Snob Hill RV Site

TrophyHunter-Cabin

Spyder-RV Site

Dstss-RV Site

dsfox-Tent site

cmayer31-tent site

don johnson-tent site

hobiee-tent site

Fri. night spaghetti dinner in the restaurant about 8pm

Sat night potluck

Ok Jeff... have you been there before? are the trails able to be accessed right from the campground? Is the pool heated? Do they take pets? Do they have a rec room? should I stop bothering you, and just click on the link?

awaiting a response :huh:

I haven't been there, but I've gotten a couple of good reviews ( and one so-so review, but he only likes dunes). I am planning on doing a recon trip next week while I'm off work, but I was hoping to have at least a rough idea of how many spots we need by then. You can ride directly from camp to the trails. I don't know about the current pool, but they are building a new one, plus some jacuzzis, which should be completed by the time we go. They have a pretty nice website, although something was not letting me open some of the pages sometimes-not sure if it was my problem or theirs.

Huh. I like the little lodges....

That's what I was looking at, too... Laurie would appreciate THAT for sure... Jeff... pencil me in

looks great and the wifey approves, sign us up as well for a cabin!

Tried to reserve a cabin on line. None avail for that weekend. Unless they're holding them for SDAR.....

????

I didn't talk to them about the cabins at all, I didn't think there would be so much demand for them. I will call them in the morning and see what the story is. If the other group already has them all reserved, maybe we can switch weekends or something.

Your Campsite

Pull-thru, Full hookups, 50/30 amp, Cable, WiFi

Our best sites! 120'x55' pull thru sites, these terrace sites on Snob Hill, have awesome views of Chocolate Mountain & the Salton Sea, only 13 sites for those who demand the very best.

getting rates …

Golf Course- Our most requested sites 120'x55'. Close to children's tracks, facing patios available, place 2 smaller RV'son your site & SAVE 20%(All hookups) Direct access to trails.

This does look like fun.....I was searching on the website to see if they had spots large enough for my set up......My motorhome is 34' long and my trailer is 22' long with a 4' tongue.

I was suprised to see how large the sites can be.....May be able to get a few rigs in one of the larger spots and all split the space.

I would have to grab mine from OW and drive around the sea to get there......

The sites I talked about with them were the double ones on the far left of the site map (148 a/b, 149a/b, etc.) They are 150' long & have 2 sets of full hookups also. They look wider on the map, but I don't know for sure. That will be something for me to check out next week.

"in" and booked in top of the line full hook up site on "Snob Hill" :lol: .........kinda spendy at ~$130 (total w tax) for 2 nights but what the hell, I've never been there......cancellation fee is only $10 if this thing falls apart.....

"Your Reservation Confirmation

Your plans:

Arrive: Friday, Mar 5, 2010

Depart: Sunday, Mar 7, 2010 (2 nights)

2 adults (6+), no children, no pets

Travel trailer, 25ft RV length

Your campsite:

Our best sites! 120'x55' pull thru sites, these terrace sites on Snob Hill, have awesome views of Chocolate Mountain & the Salton Sea, only 13 sites for those who demand the very best.

Reservation:

Confirmation Number: 3816.000"

Nice,Chris. I guess those Ramona boys know how to do it right. Updated the first post

Do you need a ISDRA permit to ride the area?

no cabins available so i guess we are out :lol: tents won't cut it

Hobie - 4 person Kabin (their spelling) reserved.

Bikeslut - 6 person Kabin reserved.

Me - 4 person reserved

You can still reserved online, just put "other" for camping equip. I chose motorcycle 1st time thru and it said there were no Kabins avail. Or call the 800 # which worked for Hobie & BS res....wouldn't let me do 3 in a row...or chose 3.

I'll PM res #'s. Deposit is made, pay the rest when you check in. Get the KOA Value Kard (cute how everything is with a "K") and save 10%...card is $24...more than pays for itself on this one trip and is good for 10% off for a year at all KOA's.

We'll work out repayment later.

Enjoy!

I just got off the phone with the campground it looks like that was the last of the kabins. they are holding some sites for us by the pool. When you make your reservations tell them you are part of the SDAR group if you want to camp with the group. I am still looking into the permit thing, they weren't sure at the campground.

OK, here's what I've gathered about the ISDRA permit- it's about a 1/2 hr ride to the dunes, and if you are riding that area, you need to have a permit. It seems like there is plenty of other riding to do, so I am thinking I'm just going to try and plan to ride those areas for this trip. I think I will have a better idea next week to be able to say that it's unnecessary for sure.

Made a tentative resevation for this weekend (Mar 5,6,7). Not sure whats up with the sites we have or ? Snob hill is booked up. What sites are the rest of you staying? They put us over between Sunset and Tortilla Flats... There is a lot of confusion on their end as to who is where staying with whom. My number is in the Members section.

Thanks for putting this out there! Looking forward to it.

Spyder and Family

PS

We may make a drive out there soon, just to see what things look like.

OK, here's what I've gathered about the ISDRA permit- it's about a 1/2 hr ride to the dunes, and if you are riding that area, you need to have a permit.

:lol: I thought you only needed a permit to "park" at the dunes......shouldn't need one to "ride" over (or so I thought)? .........But as I re-read the BLM site info it appears the expectation is that you will in fact need one for ANY primary vehicle entering the dunes......even if the primary vehicle is your street legal bike........how lame :lol: .....that said, I've never seen'em check bike riders.......just toy haulers.....I wouldn't worry about having a permit as a rider....

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/elcentro/re...permitinfo.html

How would they know which bikes to check? That would be dumb... but like Jeff said... looks like lots of other rides in the area

I drove out there yesterday to check things out, and rode around the area adjacent to the campground. It was pretty fun, reminded me a lot of Lark/McCain, except flatter.

Glamis is a 33 mi ride on an OHV-legal dirt road. I read that you may be required to show your permit as you leave the area, that's how they keep track of people riding in & out on bikes.

There is also access to what looks like a pretty good trail system in Riverside County, but didn't have the time to explore it at all. I'd like to take another trip out to scout it a little if anyone's interested.

I am having issues posting pics for some reason, once I figure out what I'm doing wrong I'll post them.

I will call them again about our reservations, Spyder. After seeing the layout, where they put you seems like the place to be. They did end up giving me different sites from what I originally talked to her about, but I didn't get site #'s

*Edit* figured out my pic prob- here's a few....

Small pool at the Oasis Spring

DSC08537.jpg

A typical trail

DSC08535.jpg

The mountains behind the campground

DSC08542.jpg

Made a tentative resevation for this weekend (Mar 5,6,7). Not sure whats up with the sites we have or ? Snob hill is booked up. What sites are the rest of you staying? They put us over between Sunset and Tortilla Flats... There is a lot of confusion on their end as to who is where staying with whom. My number is in the Members section.

Thanks for putting this out there! Looking forward to it.

Spyder and Family

PS

We may make a drive out there soon, just to see what things look like.

I double checked, and those are the sites they ended up reserving for us. Sorry if the older posts are a little confusing, I had talked to them about a couple other areas in the beginning, but we settled on some that were closer to the pool and trail access. There are still plenty of sites available if anyone is interested.

Got an email from the campgound....

<<<<What better way to treat yourself and your special one for the upcoming holiday weekend? Get away from it all! Spend the Valentine's Day / President's Day Weekend ATVing your cares away in the seclusion of our trails and special destinations like the Hidden Oasis and Red Canyon Trails. And we have a special deal for your private getaway, too.

If you were selected to participate in our recent survey about our unique Kovered Wagon accomodations you'll be pleased to hear that we listened to you. We will now be offering them at $49.79 per night with no extra site charge to place them on your tent, RV or Lodge site.

Now, if you and your sweetheart would like to have an extra RV bedroom for the kids on Valentines night, just get a Wagon. It will make everybody happy! Your kids can experience the "RV" of the California Gold Rush of 1849, right at your modern RV site.

776193959_9NN2C-M.jpg

776193960_xVQSF-M.jpg

Get your cameras ready to take some real unique scrapbook photos. Imagine the kids' thrill of going back to school and telling their friends they stayed in a real prarie schooner!

Inside the Kovered Wagons the smell of fresh wood and the rustic atmosphere of the canvas covering provides a compelling experience from the Old West. Only the modern comfort of the full queen-size matress and the tuck-away childrens' bed brings you back to your reality of gently roughing it. Nowhere else but Glamis North KOA! Call us at 760-354-1010 or go online to reserve your own Kovered Wagon.

Oh, and as our Valentine's Gift to you, if you have the letters K, O and A in your first and last name combined, we'll give you a night "on us" when you register and visit us in February of 2010. Watch future emails for more gifts like this. We love to make you happy!

Our weather is expected to be spectacular with blue sunny skies and temperatures in the 70s. We've still got a few spaces left so book your stay now! Remember we're just a few short hours away.

Your Friendly Glamis North KOA Staff

Visit us @ www.GlamisNorthKOA.com

To reserve your site call: (760) 354-1010

OR http://koa.com/where/ca/05452/

Sassy’s Outback Café

& Glamis North KOA

10595 Hot Mineral Spa Road

Niland, CA 92257>>>>>

?

?

Seeya there!

Spyder

After trying to find a good weekend to try out Glamis North, it turns out that the first weekend in March worked out. I will be there with wife, kids and friends. Looking forward to meeting up with members of the group for the first time. See you all there.

Dave

(from Yuma)