Crawdaddy

A Terrible Weekend with Crawdaddy and Strega

Just came through Primm yesterday on my way back from Page. The weather was sunny, clear, in the 60's and no wind. Let's hope it holds.

Just came through Primm yesterday on my way back from Page. The weather was sunny, clear, in the 60's and no wind. Let's hope it holds.

Ten day forecast looks good - Sunny with highs in the upper 50s....lows in the upper 30s (brrrrrrr) : http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/...f_courseprofile

It hasn'd rained over there in WEEKS........another reason we need to ride in small groups (and spread out within your small group).......vision is going to be rough in the stretch between Primm and Hwy 160.......it's going to be REALLY DUSTY ........dust won't be as big a factor over in Red Rock and Mtn Springs since it's more hard pack over there........

Day 2 will also be VERY dusty.......

i had heard rumors there's a system moving thru next midweek.

was hoping for some moisture to keep the dusty down..but alas, it's still gonna be GREAT!

Blind :rolleyes:

Sorry I will be missing this one. I am sure it will be a great time!

Bummer.....

A guy over on ADVRider has started a trip report which covers some of the same terrain we'll be riding on Day 2 (Aikens Mine Rd., Cima Dome, etc....)......some cool pics in the thread......along with some little known trivia about our own member KKug: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread....06#post11811506

Wayne,

Great to see you again. Do you still have the 950 for the long distance rides?

Dave

"Sunny with highs in the upper 50s....lows in the upper 30s (brrrrrrr) " CD

Hey, Thanks for the forcast. I've been doing temperature acclimation prep work here in Pueblo (visiting my kid).

Walked around the Old Downtown for an hour today; temp about 22d and sunny. It has me believing the 0700 start won't kill me.

759770717_3Th9v-L.jpg

759770732_ffHvF-L.jpg

Sorry I will be missing this one. I am sure it will be a great time!

Bummer.....

A guy over on ADVRider has started a trip report which covers some of the same terrain we'll be riding on Day 2 (Aikens Mine Rd., Cima Dome, etc....)......some cool pics in the thread......along with some little known trivia about our own member KKug: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread....06#post11811506

that was fun to watch, and builds the excitement for next weeks adventure!

that was fun to watch, and builds the excitement for next weeks adventure!
Some motivational words of wisdom. I wish it were next week..... I can't wait to ride Primm.

THAT's the spirit!! ^_^ .......and that's the kind of enthusiasm that motivates me and Strega to set up these rides in out of the way locations........it's our way of giving back to the club.......nice to see so many folks willing to step out of the box and drive out to BFE with us next weekend........you won't be disappointed.......it'll be fun for you to see/experience some NEW terrain/sights and get to know some of your fellow SDAR members on a more personal basis....... ;)

...and that's the kind of enthusiasm that motivates me and Strega to set up these rides in out of the way locations........it's our way of giving back to the club.......nice to see so many folks willing to step out of the box and drive out to BFE with us next weekend........you won't be disappointed.......it'll be fun for you to see/experience some NEW terrain/sights and get to know some of your fellow SDAR members on a more personal basis....... ;)

I have to say thank you to you and Strega for all for all of your planning efforts. Also thanks to tlking6 for setting up a group room rate for the masses. Even though I won't be able to make it this time, I really enjoy the SDAR camaraderie that goes into an event like this, especially since you are not charging for the privilege.

See ya next time, possibly on Day 1 of the Dash, since I only rode day 2 last year. ^_^

See ya next time, possibly on Day 1 of the Dash, since I only rode day 2 last year. ^_^

Bummer you can't make it, hope to see you at the DD! Can't WAIT!!!

Crawdad and Strega.........nice work on organizing this thing.

Don't think I can make it, got a lot of work to do on the Desert Dash....route layout, GPS'ing, exploring, etc. I don't want to save it until the last 2 weeks ;)^_^

Y'all have a great ride !

Don't think I can make it, got a lot of work to do on the Desert Dash....route layout, GPS'ing, exploring, etc. I don't want to save it until the last 2 weeks :o:lol:

Why should this year be any different? :o:);):lol::P

Save the Candy Ass excuses for someone else (we're not interested)........now get online and book your room ^_^;):)

This really is a great ride folks. Chris, Roger and Aaron(?) have put a lot of workd into this ride. I checked out the route in detail and they really know what they are doing. This will be a rewarding ride for just about every interest in off road riding. It is a great area to see as well as a fun off road riding area. At my age sight seeing is the primary goal. Anyone riding with me will have to put up with frequent stops of gawking, picrure taking and marveling at it all. A Great bunch of people have signed up so far. I know many of them and look foward to riding with them.

Lovin it!

Don

Well it wouldn't be a good ride without ya Don. :unsure: Glad to have ya out there showing us young guys how it's done!!

This really is a great ride folks. Chris, Roger and Aaron(?) have put a lot of workd into this ride. I checked out the route in detail and they really know what they are doing. This will be a rewarding ride for just about every interest in off road riding. It is a great area to see as well as a fun off road riding area. At my age sight seeing is the primary goal. Anyone riding with me will have to put up with frequent stops of gawking, picrure taking and marveling at it all. A Great bunch of people have signed up so far. I know many of them and look foward to riding with them.

Lovin it!

Don

More than welcome in our group of slower folks if you need one Don

Lovin it!

Don

More than welcome in our group of slower folks if you need one Don

Thanks Jay, count me in.

What time will we be starting?

I don't know the answer to that I just know the reservations we have for breakfast at Bonnie Springs? I would rather be earlier as opposed to later so we have more time to take it easy and lots of pictures etc

I don't know the answer to that I just know the reservations we have for breakfast at Bonnie Springs? I would rather be earlier as opposed to later so we have more time to take it easy and lots of pictures etc

As stated on Page 1/Post 1:

I'll probably be riding out of the parking lot around ~7am each morning.......I don't really care when you leave (can you feel the love? B)) ........ I wouldn't start any later than 8am to avoid having to cut either loop short or finishing in the dark ..........the rides are relatively easy terrain (for a dualsport bike), and they're each less than 150 miles......distance to breakfast on day one is ~50 miles so we'll be probably have "brunch" over at Bonnie Springs and hit Red Rock before noon.......ride in small groups and don't dilly-dally with too many stops to shoot the breeze (save that for the evening)........relax, enjoy the scenery, snap some photos, have fun......then win some money back at the tables when you return.....

As stated above, neither day will be technical (for smaller dual sports) though there may be a few spots that'll get your attention.....this is meant to be an all inclusive/easy/social affair, not a grind.......DigDug has ridden most everything we'll be riding on his 950 ADV.........that said, not everyone rides like the Dougster.........best not be afraid of a bit of rock in a short section of Red Rock or sandy trails down in the Mojave basin :o:huh: .......the tracks have bypasses if you're running late, breakdown, or just don't "want it".....

J, Don, Michael (john not lurking but he'll be with me):

My vote is to be ON the trail by 7... :o ..the brisk morning high desert air will wake us up.....good photos in early light too.....maybe leave parking lot around 6:30? beat the 7 crowd and maybe make it to breakfast with all the fast guys who may pass us along their way?

If you guys are up there earlier on friday, call me, we can finalize, and maybe hit dinner together (most of you have my number)...also in member info....and See some of you on Tuesday at Club meeting?....

I just got back to the forum after a brief several-month hiatus dealing with other stuff. I want to go Terribly bad, but already tentatively committed to a trip with my non-plated buddy. Has anyone looked into offroad-only routes? I haven't screened the tracks yet.

On another note, I'm hopefully going to be a late entry to this event either way and if anyone has some extra room in their group I'd like to tag along. I come packaged with a radio I don't know how to use (licensed though), a GPS that works most of the time, a keen sense of direction for use when the GPS craps out, and my own tubes, tools, etc. My preferred riding style is to go fast (relatively speaking) but stop often to look at stuff and recover from crashes. That said, I know beggars can't choose what gift is in the horse's mouth so I'll play nice with whoever will take me in. I'll probably be stealth "RV-camping" inside my camper shell in the parking lot so I can provide limited fire watch out there if necessary. I'd be willing to pay someone for shower privileges though.

IF I can make it.