BadNewsBeers

New to San Deigo/Dirt Riding

Hey all,

I just moved down to San Diego from the Bay Area about a month ago. I just picked up a dirt bike a week ago. It's a '93 XR250. Nothing to fancy, but it's plated. I've been riding street for about 5 years now - almost every day. I rode one of my buddies plated XR400 and loved it. Then rode a DRZ400sm and had a blast on that. In any case, sold one of my bikes and bought the 250 to get my dirt legs on and to teach my younger bro how to ride. Will be buying a plated bigger bike soon so I can ride freeway and with my brother.

I'm new to the area, so any insight on cool trail rides would be awesome! I took a ride up in the Cleveland National Forest the other day. Super fun! Also, any good places with large open fields or lots of dirt to let my younger brother loose in?

Looking forward to exploring the desert once it cools down. Cheers! :ph34r:

3937970112_e19722cfc5_o.jpg

3937191983_918ea341cd_o.jpg

Welcome, BNB!

Lots of opportunities here and everyone except BikeSlut are decent sorts of people. 250 should be a fun ride!

your second picture is at Sutherland Dam in Ramona???

few fun trails up there near Sutherland.

Welcome aboard. You just missed out on a great ride yesterday up on Santa Margarita truck trail and Main Divide road. Was over 150 miles for me, and I didn't even do the whole thing. Anyway, as the weather cools off this autumn, there should be lots of rides posted. Hope to see you on a ride soon. :ph34r:

your second picture is at Sutherland Dam in Ramona???

few fun trails up there near Sutherland.

Yep. Yeah, I took one of the fireroads that splits off Pamo and heads out to the East and eventually ends up at Sutherland. Looks like a lot of fun roads up there. I had a blast up in the mountains. Was working on my flattracking skills on some of the gravel roads. Almost none at this point haha, but lots of fun! I'll probably go back up that way pretty soon. I think it's only the stock tank on the 250 and it doesn't have the odometer cable, so I've been pretty conservative with mileage. But it should get pretty good mileage being a 250 and all.

Will definitely try out Thomas Mtn. too! Thanks cardiffchris!

welcome to the site...always lots going on (except when it's too hot!, but fall is coming.....)

lots of great people too.

hope to see you on a ride soon...

Welcome aboard! As others have said, buncha good rides and great folks at SDAR. Looking forward to riding with you.

welcome!

once it cools down, there'll be rides all the time. Bear Valley road and LArk Canyon are both good places to take a rookie.

The "decent" people here lead a newb friendly ride once a month or so :)

I have met a few of the members here, and i will say with no question

some great people (but that one guy who wears black).

Welcome to the site

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to the "winter" for the desert to cool off. I can't wait to get out that way.

In the meantime, I'm down for more local stuff (the 250 is a little underwhelming on the street)

Just need to get some gear in order. My street gear is somewhat poor for the dirt - too hot! So, once I get some of that rounded up, I'll be ready for anything.

So on that note, If any one has some extra gear they're willing to part with, lemme know. Just looking for stuff that fits and is in decent shape.

My wish list:

Boots 11.5/12

Pants ~36

Jersey - L

Helmet - L most likely.

^ this should probably be in the Classifieds section, but bear with me. The more vented the better. I've got a some knee guards, hunting down a pressure suit. I've got street helmets and jackets, but wearing them is super hot. Shoot me a PM if you can help me out with some gear! Thanks a bunch!

Welcome to our cult! :beach: I look forward to meeting up somewhere for a ride. We can also do night-rides!! not to hot then! :blink:

BC

I have met a few of the members here, and i will say with no question

some great people (but that one guy who wears black).

Welcome to the site

I resemble that remark...

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to the "winter" for the desert to cool off. I can't wait to get out that way.

In the meantime, I'm down for more local stuff (the 250 is a little underwhelming on the street)

Just need to get some gear in order. My street gear is somewhat poor for the dirt - too hot! So, once I get some of that rounded up, I'll be ready for anything.

So on that note, If any one has some extra gear they're willing to part with, lemme know. Just looking for stuff that fits and is in decent shape.

My wish list:

Boots 11.5/12

Pants ~36

Jersey - L

Helmet - L most likely.

^ this should probably be in the Classifieds section, but bear with me. The more vented the better. I've got a some knee guards, hunting down a pressure suit. I've got street helmets and jackets, but wearing them is super hot. Shoot me a PM if you can help me out with some gear! Thanks a bunch!

Actually I think I might have an old pair of MX boots in my garage that are an 11-11.5 not sure exactly nothing special older thor boots I think

Actually I think I might have an old pair of MX boots in my garage that are an 11-11.5 not sure exactly nothing special older thor boots I think

Hmmm...Possibly.

I just went down to cycle gear. They were having a big sale. Got a sweet Fox helmet for 100 bucks. (50% off!). Oneal had a deal going jersey, pants, gloves, and boots for $150. So I bought a set for my younger brother and myself. The gloves are cheapo (but i've got a pair already), and I'm not a fan of the boots though, so I'm selling those off and hope to get a pair of A* Tech 3's or maybe the Fox Comp 5's.

Just got a pressure suit off fleabay too. So, I'm just about fully geared. Just need a set of comfy boots.

Hmmm...Possibly.

I just went down to cycle gear. They were having a big sale. Got a sweet Fox helmet for 100 bucks. (50% off!). Oneal had a deal going jersey, pants, gloves, and boots for $150. So I bought a set for my younger brother and myself. The gloves are cheapo (but i've got a pair already), and I'm not a fan of the boots though, so I'm selling those off and hope to get a pair of A* Tech 3's or maybe the Fox Comp 5's.

Just got a pressure suit off fleabay too. So, I'm just about fully geared. Just need a set of comfy boots.

In my experience almost all boots are stiff and uncomfortable at first. My Foxes were horrible at first but after many rides and falls they are nicely broken in. Get them dirty and scratched up, beat them up a little they will prob be fine.

I checked the boots and they are 11's

I bought year old model Fox F3's brand new and paid under 200. I think boots are worth spending money on good ones that are comfortable for you. As Ben said they need to break in though. You want something that the buckles are not cheapo plastic. Pants and Jersey have almost no real purpose besides being something you are dedicating to getting dirty

I bought year old model Fox F3's brand new and paid under 200. I think boots are worth spending money on good ones that are comfortable for you. As Ben said they need to break in though. You want something that the buckles are not cheapo plastic. Pants and Jersey have almost no real purpose besides being something you are dedicating to getting dirty

No doubt on spending some coin on boots. It's well worth it. The The fox's comp 5 and Astars Tech 3 were both comfortable right out of the box. The Astars are a bit stiffer, but still super comfortable. So I'll probably get a pair of either.

Thanks for checking. I sold the pair I picked up with the package deal and so that money's gonna roll over into my new boots.

What a crazy two weeks! No time to ride! I hope to get out this week/weekend.