Sneeker

BarkBusters / HandGuards

Hi all,

After snapping both my clutch and brake levers on one ride last weekend I think I need to purchase a set of bark-busters for my 250.

I have a set of Acerbis Rally Pro Handguards on my 600 and have never broken a lever on that bike. However, the levers on the 600 don’t quite fit under the guards and hang below a little…not ideal. May be there's something better?

What works for you? Opinions please.

I bought the Moose Racing ones in white and now the white has turned a yellowish beige. Little disappointed with the quality of the plastic to yellowing...

Installation was straightforward, but I did have to beat on the aluminum to bend it a bit to fit the bars.

Just don't drill the holes for the screws that secure the plastic to the aluminum before you try to bend it or the aluminum will crack and break right there. BTDT. :ph34r:

Cutting down the levers.

Agreed! Only two fingers are needed.

Yeah,

I agree sawing them down is a very practical and to-the-point fix. But, I have one of those spendy easy pull clutch levers, hate to cut off $15 worth of lever if you know what I mean.

Just to throw it out there, the Acerbis Rally Pro Handguards have been tough-as-nails when dropping the BRP, and the white plastic stays white. They're worthy, just want to try something different.

Acerbis plastic only handguards.

I don't like the ones that have metal behind them, I've seen people crash and bend the metal, then you can't bend them back on the trail and you're screwed.

If you're worried about levers, carry a spare of each, that's what I do.

Acerbis plastic only handguards.

I don't like the ones that have metal behind them, I've seen people crash and bend the metal, then you can't bend them back on the trail and you're screwed.

If you're worried about levers, carry a spare of each, that's what I do.

I will say that I did run the Acerbis Rally II Handguards on my DRZ and never had a problem. They seem very sturdy and as the photo show's they did get hit . I can't recall ever going down real hard on them.

DSCN3702.jpg

DSCN3698.jpg

Hi all,

After snapping both my clutch and brake levers on one ride last weekend I think I need to purchase a set of bark-busters for my 250.

What works for you? Opinions please.

It sounds like your goal is to protect the levers in the event of a fall.

You might want to try this:

1. Loosen the perch bolts so they turn in the event of a fall

2. Place teflon tape around the handle bars(friction reduction)

3. You can purchase after market perches, which have an integrated plastic/teflon bushing that will turn the perch when falling or (use #2 above will save you $)

4. Change your control levers to the spring-loaded "unbreakable type". They are expensive, never used them, the basic Paul Flanders replacement type are just fine for me.

Remember, the handguards protect hands, not just levers. The TW does not yet have handguards and it freaks me out riding in any sort of narrow trail.

Ya, have you ever had a tree branch apply the front brake for you! That hurts.

yep- front brake applied, smashed knuckles and right turn all in the same second

I have some acerbis and some MSR... but I never crash, so I can't tell you how they hold up in the event of a fall :blink:

I also have the shorty ASV levers on the DRZ, and they clear the guards easily, rotate 180 degrees, which theoretically SHOULD reduce breakage.... plus I bring a back up perch, and levers

2 much time on your hands? You must focus... handguards and levers... a fellow member is looking for valuable advice, not some silly little wordplay

:blink: