GPS vs Radio.

one or the other...NOT both at this time(*read $$)

pros/cons.

GO!

:good: ...Blind's current dilemma ...well that and DRZ upgrades(*other topic soon to come)

If you gotta choose, I'd go with the GPS.

I've never thought radios are a necessity, even on a group ride. That's just me.

This is a tough one. If you ride with people with radios all the time, go radio. If you ride solo a lot, go with the GPS.

That's just my opinion though and your decision should clearly not be based on mine :good:

you could always go with the Garmin Rino which has a built in radio. That's what I did it works with the other rino guys or the cheaper radios like some of my other friends have.

GPS vs Radio.

pros/cons.

GO!

B) ...Blind's current dilemma ...well that and DRZ upgrades(*other topic soon to come)

Easy Decision - GPS - Nice to set tracks where you've ridden/explored and share them with others (or not).......figure out best path to bail on if need be.........follow tracks that others have ridden/explored/shared ........many track files available now on GPSXchange/ADV Rider......really opens up a lot of terrain to ride that you wouldn't otherwise know about (example - our recent Mammoth trip......all track files created by Jerry Counts who was nice enough to post'em on GPSXchange.......some really cool stuff that I wouldn't have even known about, or been able to follow, without a GPS......)

Prices have come down......buy a GARMIN........check E-Bay.....older 60C is fine if you want to save a few bucks......if you can swing it, 76CSx is probably the way to go.....

I would say GPS then SPOT, then Radio. It is just my opinion, but I would think that my opinion would be better than that of a female Latino judge, given my life's experiences B):lol: :lol: .

good replies all of them!!!

i like the GPS idea, since if I am NOT lost then i stand a chance...

if i ride with a group and am radio-less at least i can download the "track" that area provides...

less "instant communications" but more self sufficiency.

the radio isn't nec the hurdle...it's the PTT/head set thing-a-ma-bob...that's the half and again(* B)) more.

could have radio, get license, and THEN get PTT capabilities...

keep the good thoughts coming....

Blind B

I can't really add anything to what has been said other than my vote.

1. GPS

2. Radio

I agree on the PTT/headset. Holy crap that's expensive for a few connectors and wires.

GPS vs Radio.

pros/cons.

GO!

B) ...Blind's current dilemma ...well that and DRZ upgrades(*other topic soon to come)

Easy Decision - GPS - Nice to set tracks where you've ridden/explored and share them with others (or not).......figure out best path to bail on if need be.........follow tracks that others have ridden/explored/shared ........many track files available now on GPSXchange/ADV Rider......really opens up a lot of terrain to ride that you wouldn't otherwise know about (example - our recent Mammoth trip......all track files created by Jerry Counts who was nice enough to post'em on GPSXchange.......some really cool stuff that I wouldn't have even known about, or been able to follow, without a GPS......)

Prices have come down......buy a GARMIN........check E-Bay.....older 60C is fine if you want to save a few bucks......if you can swing it, 76CSx is probably the way to go.....

what does the 76 have over the 60 I have the 60cx (by the way I sent it back to them and they sent a refurbished unit for $0 bought it 2006 can't complain about that.

what does the 76 have over the 60 I have the 60cx (by the way I sent it back to them and they sent a refurbished unit for $0 bought it 2006 can't complain about that.

I have a 60CSx....actually I've had 3 of'em because I snapped the antennas off the first two (I fall a lot) and had them replaced........that's where the 76 shines over the 60......better case construction (no protruding antenna).......the RAM cradle is also more secure for the 76 than the 60........the 76 is also 100% waterproof if you submarine a water crossing......they used to be quite a bit more expensive than the 60s but now they're comparably priced......so, although I'm quite happy with my 60, if I were to start over again I'd get a 76.....

QSL or 10-4 good buddy on the previous replies.

I guess it depends on what your needs are - figuring out where you are, or being found (alive). I have GPS, radio, and SPOT Tracker.

If riding out in an area that I know well, I always bring the radio and the SPOT, but often times I don't bring along the GPS. This is because I'm usually riding a trials bike and the GPS just ends up being extra weight in the backpack.

Because I ride by myself a lot, and often ride off the beaten path were there aren't many other riders likely to come by soon, for me the SPOT would be number 1. This is because there's always someone listening to the SPOT, but with the radio, it's rare to find a simplex channel that someone within range would be listening to, so next you have to find a repeater that you can hit, and then hope that someone is listening.

The GPS is great for riding on trails that I don't know. I have both a Garmin GPS60 and a Delorme PN-40 with 32 GB SDRAM and 8 GB internal memory. I can download aerial and satellite imagery into the Delorme and also create / edit tracks just like the Garmin. So the Delorme is fun for exploring.

When doing organized rides, the alternative to the GPS is a roll charge reader. Very handy, but not all rides print roll charts for you, where as GPS tracks are getting pretty common. There are tons of tracks out there for download, so it's very handy to keep you from getting lost in the first place.

The radio is really handy on rides when others are similarly equipped. I haven't plunked down the big bucks for the helmet mike and PTT switch wiring yet, mostly because I haven't been on that many rides were other riders have had radios. I do have a speaker mic that I clip to my backpack strap that works OK for low speeds where wind noise isn't that much of a problem. Besides the wind noise, the other obvious drawback is that you need to take your hand off the bars to activate. Not too big of a deal on the dual sport, but a bit more trouble on the trials bike.

All in all, for me the order would be: SPOT #1, GPS #2, and Radio #3.

I guess I should also mention that there's the GPS equipped cell phone as an additional option. Some cell phones only figure out your location when you're in the coverage area, but a greater number now days have real live GPS capability that will work even out in the weeds. My Blackberry has Google Maps that will show both a street or satellite view - but you can only update the map when you're in the coverage area. I can still get the GPS coordinates when out of coverage, but without a base map, I won't necessarily know where 33 deg 15' 32.559" x 117 deg 08' 1.226" is.

Last word on cell phones. If you need help and are out of coverage or in marginal coverage send a text message (preferably with your GPS coordinates). It uses a lot less power and only needs a brief sniff of coverage from the cell site to get the message through.

I have a 60CSx....actually I've had 3 of'em because I snapped the antennas off the first two (I fall a lot) and had them replaced........that's where the 76 shines over the 60......better case construction (no protruding antenna).......the RAM cradle is also more secure for the 76 than the 60........the 76 is also 100% waterproof if you submarine a water crossing......they used to be quite a bit more expensive than the 60s but now they're comparably priced......so, although I'm quite happy with my 60, if I were to start over again I'd get a 76.....

My wife washed my GPS60CS. Ran through the complete cycle. Fortunately I noticed the little canvas bag with the GPS inside missing from where I left it and recovered it before she threw it in the dryer.

It not only worked just fine, it was sparkly clean too B)

Easy Decision - Radio - I found as a beginning rider I was more dependent on others in the group for safety.......Didn't ride alone.........was not depending on the GPS to get around ........many times had to check in......let others in the group ride ahead without losing me......could take pointers on riding and learn more, and more quickly, like at Pinnacles.......later add a gps as I began to lead rides or go on rides where I could need a gps

IMO the biggest advantage of the 76 is the mount. The RAM mount for the 60 relies on the clip on the back of the unit that is screwed in, while the 76 RAM mount is a full cradle - completely bulletproof! Mickey has used my old 76 in a RAM mount and snapped the ball of the mount before the GPS fell out of the cradle when he flipped the bike over...

Compass, map, lighter and a flashlight. B)

Compass, map, lighter and a flashlight. :lol:

that's what i am thinking too!!! i got those in kit(*got 3 of 4, need better map)

i tend to ride with people when in dirt...so talking to a person with GPS makes sense too...

just putting things in order B)

Blind :)...liked using radio @ Pinnacles...like they say...the first one is free :lol:

I'd strongly suggest, if you do get radios, to get the 2meter units most are buying. Rino is a great system with it's advantages, but I'd hate to see you marooned on the FRS band without someone to talk with.

in regards to the radio, the VX-170 is the "standard", true? no 180 or...

i read that other thread, and until i saw the study guide i thought i was doing ok...

but i am sure, with the right info in my hand i can be ready for most any test... B)

i'll def consult with all for best deals, hopefully soon....

*footsteps walking away*

"uh, honey..."

Blind :lol:...went to a Slutto band performance last night...good fun time..i'd recommend them...

and VOTE for Soul Camp for best cover band...some other thread....they earned it.

been a while since i ate nachos at 1 am...but that's another story.

the vx170 is a 2 meter radio- it's replacement is the vx-270 , nearly identical. The test is easy, all the actual questions are in a large pool and they are provided online in the practices tests. Very few require calculation, the rest are simple common sense or memorization. Kids do it all the time. I wouldn't view it as an issue.

Wish I had the compass, don't smoke so I don't need the lighter :unsure::lol:

so the 76 is the best out there now?

Wish I had the compass, don't smoke so I don't need the lighter :unsure::lol:

so the 76 is the best out there now?

Silly! the lighter is for when you hallucinate, and you think the crickets are playing free bird!

Blind... I can only attest to this as it applies to my riding...

GPS- bread crumb feature is why I got it... trails look much different going back, and I've never really been "lost"

Radio- for a GROUP ride, I think they are fine; I'm with Erick on this, though... The radio is not the big expense... I was kindly "gifted" a headset, but just haven't pulled the trigger on the other stuff, yet. obviously you are counting on other people having the same unit, so you can listen to somebody elses smartass comments "Have I told you how nice it is to have a rekluse clutch....blah blah blah" My OWN smartass comments end up with me generally riding alone, so radio is lower on my list

SPOT- defintely under the category of, you'll never use it until you need it... like my good friend King Stahlman says " Better to know me, and not need me, than need me, and not know me"

As Don alluded to... self reliance is key... I would know what to do with a compass, other than find north... which I can find by using that big bright thing in the sky, too... with a lighter, I think I'd start the next Cedar Fire, but I carry one anyway; never know when I'll start smoking... a map only helps if I know where I am, and unless it is a topo, I don't see a lot of aplication for somebody as dumb as I am. Flashlight? If my bike dies at night, I'll just sit tight, and weep myself to sleep... you guys will loook for me, right?

In addition to the GPS, radio, and SPOT, I also carry a compass, lighter, Flint/Steel (Swedish FireSteel actually), kindling, whistle, LED light, waterproof paper and space pen, Fresnel lens magnifying glass, Leatherman, folding saw, JB-Weld, misc tools, TP, and some bandaids, and a few other item.

Often carry a topo map or other of the area if it's some place I'm not familiar with.

The compass is a folding mirror type (Suunto MC-2G or equivalent), so you can use it for signaling.

Even with a GPS loaded with tracks, we still often found a map handy when MCTrails and I were riding around out in Moab.

I also have a space blanket to stuff in the backpack if I'm riding in the winter when temps will drop at night.

Gets kind of heavy at times, especially given that it's all on my back versus being in a gear bag on the bike somewhere, but better safe than sorry.

I bought the radio as a luxury, but it's good to have comm. Turns, oncoming traffic, "so what, I have a Rekluse too." :unsure:

Exploring alone, ala Phill or Pyro.....SPOT.

Runnin' lead....or into all the tracks....GPS (C-Daddy makes an excellent point...some places you'd never know about or go without the tracks)