DigDug

AFX Dual Sport Helmets

I could have sworn there was a thread about these things in the past, but I couldn't find it. I don't know if they're any good or not, but for $90 (They're on sale right now over at BikeBandit) it might be worth a shot to someone looking for a XD knockoff...

BIKEBANDIT.COM LINK HERE

09afxfx37solidwtlg.gif

I love my XD. I use it for everything, DS, and take the shield off for MX.

The thread was on ADV rider. Saw it there as well.

it does beg the question .....

QUALITY VS PRICE....worth it?? any opinions?? read a little on ADVrider...mixed thoughts...as expected...

curious Blind B)

Note: this is a general statement, I did not do any research on this particular helmet company. My comments are based solely upon the previous post of quality versus value/cost.

"got a 10 dollar head buy a ten dollar helmet" that was the 1980s Bell helmet ad campaign.

As a "industry" person I say we all need to take a good look at where we and what we put our money into. Knock offs need to be avoided at all costs (yes real costs more). Our(my) product ( no adverts here)is not cheap,,,,why?? because it is backed by real medical r&d and built to the highest CE standards by a well established company in the dental industry in a green factory under the EU guidelines for everything from chemical compositions to employee standards of living. Cheap saves us a buck, buying the real deal saves our pride and our value in our economy. My rant for the day,,,,many of us in the "industry" are promoting this "new" quality product to consumer mentality. Bell had a timeless advert with that above statement. Thanks Rob

getting back to helmets I would really give the head comment real thought,,,,

FYI certain manufacturers are putting CE stamps on their products, when confronted with patent copyrights and EU regulations for the CE stamp they said it stands for China Export so there is nothing to be said or done.

While generally I agree with wanting to pay for quality most Bell helmets or anyone who makes helmets for a living are always better than a No fear etc one but I still don't feel my head is better protected in a 500 dollar shoei than a 250-300 dollar Bell

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=74466

This thread has a lot of discussion regarding if these particular helmets are safe etc

Your order has been accepted! Thank you for shopping at BikeBandit

---------------

Item Name

---------------

AFX FX-37 Solid Dual Sport Helmet

AFX FX-37 Dual Sport Helmet Faceshield

Thanks for the tip.

"got a 10 dollar head buy a ten dollar helmet" that was the 1980s Bell helmet ad campaign.

---------------

Item Name

---------------

Thanks for the tip.

enough said

---------------

Item Name

---------------

Thanks for the tip.

Let me guess which color you ordered.... :)

Oh... I hope you remembered your 10% AMA discount!!!

That brings the total before shipping and tax to: $77.58

enough said

That response leads me to think 2 things.

1) You think I got a great deal

2) You think I'm have a $10 head.

Please elaborate on your comment and I will respond accordingly.

Some interesting helmet articles:

ECE 22.05 Info

Info on DoT, Snell, ECE, BSI

Interesting quote from a motorcycle helmet review (Long):

The ECE-rated Vemars and Sharks and the ECE and BSI-rated Suomys performed well on the impact torture rack, showing generally lower G-transmission than we saw in typical Snell-rated helmets.

Meaning, the helmet absorbed more energy and transferred less energy to the head than the harder, Snell rated helmets.

Spending MORE money doesn't mean you get a safer, better helmet, it just means you spent more money. Research the helmet you are buying, if it's rated well, buy it, if it's not, don't. I've always had the thought in my head that a helmet that was less than $100 prolly wasn't worth it due to my assumed safety standards. I was wrong after doing the research. The helmet I bought was $114 on sale for $85 + 10% off for being an AMA member. Not too bad for an ECE 22.05 rated helmet.

Also:

The AMA accepts DOT, ECE 22-05, BSI 6658 Type A or Snell M2000-rated helmets. That's for going 200 mph on a superbike at Daytona. The FIM, which sanctions MotoGP races all over the world, accepts any of the above standards but DOT. Why not DOT if DOT helmets are comparable to ECE helmets? Because the DOT is an American institution, and the FIM doesn't really do American. And because the DOT standard doesn't require any outside testing—just the manufacturers' word that their helmets pass.
Let me guess which color you ordered.... :)

Oh... I hope you remembered your 10% AMA discount!!!

That brings the total before shipping and tax to: $77.58

White, of course. :)

As the supermotojunkie thread said ECE is actually cadaver tested so its a "better" standard than the current ANSI/SNELL/DOT

My personal guess is its light on features as opposed to safety, It's not going to seal as well around the face shield, be as light, have a nice washable liner/pads etc etc in comparison to the Arai or Shoei but for the price I considered ordering one just so I had an extra street helmet for my wife/guests/whoeever

Which shield did you go with?

It's not going to seal as well around the face shield, be as light, have a nice washable liner/pads etc etc in comparison to the Arai or Shoei

Probably won't be so light, but most inexpensive helmets have removable, washable innards.

It's not going to seal as well around the face shield, be as light, have a nice washable liner/pads etc etc in comparison to the Arai or Shoei

Probably won't be so light, but most inexpensive helmets have removable, washable innards.

I guess i mean more the pads won't be as nice. I can usually tell a difference in the quality of the pad material in cheaper helmets. I want the white one so people do think I am a cop :)

I want the white one so people do think I am a cop :)

I'd like to get one primarily for street riding and those longer dualsport rides that include a lot of pavement. I've always wanted a visor on my street helmet when I'm riding home from the mountains in the evening. I want white just cuz I like white. :)

I think that helmet is awesome and I like the matte black......right there with you strega!

Which shield did you go with?

Silver Mirror of course. Very HALO esque. :unsure:

Haha yeah thats what I was thinking so it doubles as part halloween costume

Ordered mine in silver. Also, you guys need to ask for the $5 bandit bucks discount by registering your bike on your profile on the website. They had a glitch, so it doesn't show up, so just ask for it.

I purchased the AFX-39 DS helmet. It is the next generation DS helmet from AFX. They say it is a vast improvement over the AFX-37. I just received it today. First impression is I like it. I had several issues with my Arai xd-3.

First was the chin strap. I could barely get the thing strapped. As Johhnybags pointed out on the last ride that it was pretty unsafe. It was such a pain in the arse to put the helmet on and off because of this. People are taking off down the trail and I am still screwing with the helmet. Afx has the new Euro style ratchet system which makes it easy to put on or off(with gloves on).

The next issue was chin room. This was already crowded but when I added the mic from the radio set up it was not going to work for me. The Afx has much more chin room. I have crashed and had the helmet smack me in the chin, not fun.

Another nice thing is the ridges in the back of the helmet to keep the goggle strap in position. The Arai is smooth/round.

Ventilation seems really nice. Padding is removable and comfortable. Plenty of room for the ear speakers.

Another issue that most of you wont have is AFX offers their helmet in 3xl. The Arai's largest is 2xl.

Road testing is in order, but for $110 bucks it seems to be a deal.

I have a afx 39 and love it. a couple things tho...

Pros:

It's cheap

It looks cool

Very comfy, even for my giant dome

Plenty of vents for hot days

Removable pads

I can wear it wit my regular glasses or sunglasses comfortably

Cons:

It's heavy

At high speeds I notice a decent amount of air creeping in through the bottom of the sheild, but that's expected.

Overall I really like it, I would say it exceeds expectations for a 115$ dualsport helmet. And the mirror sheild actually does a good job of reducing glare. not sure if it's rated for that or not.

I just picked up the Fly racing Trekker.

trekker.jpg

So far I really like it.

I have an extra small fx39s, black matte that I have worn 4 times I am selling. It is too big.

Wow! You're going to have to find a brand that offers XXS!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOEI-Hornet-DS-Dual-Sport-Sonora-TC-10-Helmet-Size-XXS-Extra-Extra-Small-/190618718199?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c61c2cff7