boat440

Comparative Analysis of Rear Inner Tubes

See below an UHD "Ultra Heavy Duty" tube (on left) versus a standard duty tube(on right). They are both for a 18 inch rear rim.

This is my 1st purchase of this kind of tube. I'm trying in combination with a trials tire. The UHD cost is $32 versus $12 a standard tube. For the extra money you receive (~2x) greater overall size (tube thickness) which translates to a higher weight/volume increase. Hopefully the UHD tube will provide a superior resistance to failure with a higher quality rubber compound & increased durometer.

But given the inconvenience of changing a flat on the trail, having the better tube is well-worth the extra insurance.

Anybody have experiences of a measurable decrease in pinch flats or punctures with this tyoe of tube?

Thanks...

Once I switched to UHD tubes, I haven't had any flat's. They will come, but the frequency has decreased by A LOT.

I've had great luck with uhd's too.

Zero % failure rate,

except for a couple of really big nails actually, but no tire / tube can withstand that,

so it doesn't count against the tube.

Anybody have experiences of a measurable decrease in pinch flats or punctures with this tyoe of tube?

I don't think HD tubes aren't going to help decrease the likelihood of a pinch flat. Pinching the rim against a sharp-edged rock is still going to happen, even with the thicker rubber. I think pinch flats are a function of the sidewall stiffness of the tire and inflation pressure. I run exclusively HD tubes in my 450 and have still had a few pinch flats. They will, however, do a better job of resisting punctures (I have had zero punctures with HD tubes, but have had them with normal tubes).

I don't think HD tubes aren't going to help decrease the likelihood of a pinch flat.

A TRIPLE NEGATIVE :blink: Impressive ;) (you had me at the double :lol: )

I run UHD front & rear. Never had a pinch flat on the rear, but I have on the front :( I've also heard that the MT43 trials tire can feel sloppy on the pavement, but I haven't experienced that with mine, maybe a function of the heavier tube?

Good luck!

This is what I want to try instead. Still probably carry a tube as a spare in an emergency however

http://tubliss.com/

Can't find them pretty much anywhere though

This is what I want to try instead. Still probably carry a tube as a spare in an emergency however

http://tubliss.com/

Can't find them pretty much anywhere though

All American has'em

The UHD cost is $32 versus $12 a standard tube.

$32??? :blink: .....ouch......I don't spend that kinda $$ on tubes so I guess I must just run heavy duty as opposed to ULTRA heavy duty ;):lol: ......anyway, I run heavy duty and carry normal just because it's easier to pack/carry, it's lighter, and they're easier to change when hot/sweaty/pissed off out on the trail......I seem to be able to pinch flat ANY TUBE on the 620 "Exxon Valdez/Mother ship".......I think Doug's right, pinch flats are gonna happen regardless of tube.......it's more of function of air pressure .....and nails are gonna blow through any tube.....even gold infused $32 specials

example: of UHD tube use, KTM 300EXC, Dunlop 756F tire, Michelin UHD tube, @ 13psi, Tecate Mexico, RSV rocky tight single track zone , hit a sharp edge solid, in the ground rock at speed prolly about 40mph, a real wrist shocker, one side of rim, nice vee (taco) the other side dented as well but not as bad. UHD tube ballooning out under the fully exposed tire bead!!! but no leak. grabbed the over sized super fat zip tyes from my butt bag and did a wrap job and finished the ride with no issues other than a rim ding. Came home and put it (wheel) on the hyd press and squeezed it back into acceptable shape.

UHD tubes are my only choice,,,,,heavy yes, technically effect the suspension with more unsprung weight yes, work like a charm yes. and for really prickly cactus zones they can be slimed for even more anti-flat. Everything is a compromise and for the cost and use they are the best,

mousse is prolly the best of the best,, but at 100 bucks each and not a long life they are hard to do and that goes for all the other types of flat proof set ups as well. enjoy the no flat ride, R

A TRIPLE NEGATIVE :blink: Impressive :( (you had me at the double :lol: )

What do you expect!!!

Look at the time I posted that! ;)

At 6:06am I hadn't fully woken up yet!!! (not that I get better throughout the day though)

The UHD cost is $32 versus $12 a standard tube.

$32??? :blink: .....ouch......I don't spend that kinda $$ on tubes so I guess I must just run heavy duty as opposed to ULTRA heavy duty ;):lol: ......anyway, I run heavy duty and carry normal just because it's easier to pack/carry, it's lighter, and they're easier to change when hot/sweaty/pissed off out on the trail......I seem to be able to pinch flat ANY TUBE on the 620 "Exxon Valdez/Mother ship".......I think Doug's right, pinch flats are gonna happen regardless of tube.......it's more of function of air pressure .....and nails are gonna blow through any tube.....even gold infused $32 specials

CDaddy,

Did not go with the "Heavy Duty", but went straight to the "UHD". I do not know what qualifies a manufacturer to label their product UHD as compared to HD. Is their a standard for the labeling/differentiation.

Got the MSR UHD from Motorcycle Superstore for $31.99. Also picked up a trails MT43 tire (rear) at MS as local stores I shop do not carry. Yes, will carry standard duty tubes as spares as they are smaller/lighter and easier to install.

http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superstore.co...ibtnSearch.y=30

Agree no tube can completely stop puncture/pinch flats.

I have been searching Dirt Rider/Dirt Bike articles for comparisons, with no luck. Without any conclusive scientific study, hopefully the extra expense, and common sense of the thicker tube will reduce the probability of occurance of these events. That's good enough to spend the extra $.

Any comments on the Dirt Ball concept?

Getting ready for the Big Bear run. Start early, you will need the time. I saw the route. Some surprises. :(

I run UHD tubes front and rear plus Slime in both.

Have never had a pinch flat, or a regular flat for that matter.

On our Moab ride, Don got a pinch flat shortly after starting out on the first trail. He was running whatever stock tube/tire combo that Yamaha puts on their WR-450 with and something in the neigborhood of 15 psi.

Alan and I rode over the same stuff OK. Just luck, or better tubes and tires - I don't know.

But just in case it's the tubes that have been my good luck charm, I'd rather pay the extra bucks than change a tire on the trail . . . :lol:

I run the extra heavy duty tubes also but cary normal tubes as a back up. Since I switched I have not had a flat in 3 years. Now watch having said that I'll have a flat tomorrow. :lol: But the extra cost is worth it to me. It's not fun having to change tubes on the trail especially when you're doing a multi day trip in baja. Last time out we were exploring some new trails that had cactus laying across in some sections but nobody got flats. Moose and bridgestone make some good ones. They do add weight though but I'll take the trade off.

Results so far:

* 6 replies for the UHD(must have), would not use any other tube except the UHD type.

* 2 replies for HD (the tube thickness has an indirect correlation to pinch resistance, but other factors such as tire air pressure & sidewall resistance are the more significant/contributing variable)

I have always run the thinnest tubes I can find. I use the ones I carry in my pack and rotate them out when it is time for a new tire. That way I always have a fresh tube in my pack as well as in my tire. The one and only flat I have had on the trail was on the rear when I ran over a spike in the dark on one of the first night rides, I don't think a UHD tube would have helped.

I have hit the front wheel hard enough to bend the rim and not had a pinch flat (probably got lucky). I did run over some cactus on the desert dash and my front went flat some days later in the shop. Until I start getting flats on the trail I am going to stick with what is working for me, lightweight tubes that are easy to carry, rotate them out during tire changes so they stay fresh :rolleyes: .

Thin. I've never had a flat on the trail... but that is due to some luck and I don't run as aggressive as most. FYI, most of the flats I have helped others change have been valve stems torn off (and most with rim-locks).

All things equal I am sure the thick tubes will resist puncture more than thin, but once something penetrates the tire I'm not sure what else a tube can do really. I've also ceased using Slime.

Also be aware that running too low of pressure at extended high speed will really heat up those thick tubes. More of an issue for loaded down big adventure bikes...

I pinch flat weekly- UHD tubes didn't help

I tear out stems monthly- UHD did not help

UHD are a PAIN to install; I think it was mimi that said; " like stuffing a tire inside a tire"

I'm back to regular old tubes, scabs to patch 'em, and co2 to fill 'em

but I'm a no-talent hack, so...

I'm curious of how many of you guys running UHD tubes are the ones spooning your tires on and off? I've tried them both, to be honest, I now just tell the guy behind the counter to give me the cheapest ones they have. I'm sure the HD tubes are better, but they are such a pain in the ass to change and they weigh noticeably more.

I've been going fast enough (maybe 50+) during more than one race to hit a hidden rock under the sand and bend my front rim. I have a bunch of taco'd spots on my rim now. Once it was enough to pop the tube, another time it was not. Thats with desert tires (thick sidewalls) and 15lb of air. Would a HD tube have saved my rim and kept me from getting a flat? Maybe. It takes a really big hit to get a pinch flat. All my other flats have been from nails.

I'm curious of how many of you guys running UHD tubes are the ones spooning your tires on and off? I've tried them both, to be honest, I now just tell the guy behind the counter to give me the cheapest ones they have. I'm sure the HD tubes are better, but they are such a pain in the ass to change and they weigh noticeably more.

I change all my own tires on both my bikes (and Mickey's too). I run UHD in the 450 and regular in the 950 (to keep the heat down when running lower pressures at higher speeds). I don't find either that difficult to mount. Make sure you inflate the tube a bit to keep it out of the way of the beads, and use a bit of Windex or other substance to lube the bead. Also, grab a set of good tire irons. Those aluminum ones work great on the trail when you're only unseating one bead and the tire is warm, but a cold tire needs a real set of irons.

I change all my own tires on both my bikes (and Mickey's too). I run UHD in the 450 and regular in the 950 (to keep the heat down when running lower pressures at higher speeds). I don't find either that difficult to mount. Make sure you inflate the tube a bit to keep it out of the way of the beads, and use a bit of Windex or other substance to lube the bead. Also, grab a set of good tire irons. Those aluminum ones work great on the trail when you're only unseating one bead and the tire is warm, but a cold tire needs a real set of irons.

when changing a tire, do you get one side of the tire on the rim and then get the valve stem in the hole, or do you put valve stem in the hole and mount the tire around it?

I do the prior and that is the hardest part for me when changing tires. Getting my hands in there to put the valve stem in after I have the first bead on. The HD tubes seem to make this step harder.

when changing a tire, do you get one side of the tire on the rim and then get the valve stem in the hole, or do you put valve stem in the hole and mount the tire around it?

I do the prior and that is the hardest part for me when changing tires. Getting my hands in there to put the valve stem in after I have the first bead on. The HD tubes seem to make this step harder.

Mount one side of the tire. Stuff the tube in all the way around. Put the stem in the hole. Mount the second side.

Here's how I do the stem: Put the tire vertical, stem on the top with the unmounted bead side to your left. With your left hand, reach up inside the tire and press on the tread side of the tube, pushing the stem towards the rim. With your right hand, take a tire lever and pry and lift the tire, adjacent to the stem, up away from the rim. You can look in from that side and see the stem. Use your left hand to maneuver and push the stem into the hole. Sometimes I have to use the tire iron to position it, and sometimes I wind up having to use a pair of needle-nose pliers. Hopefully that all made sense... B)

There are also some tools out there to help: LINK HERE, but I've never had too much trouble doing it as above...

A TRIPLE NEGATIVE B) Impressive ;) (you had me at the double B) )

What do you expect!!!

Look at the time I posted that! :)

At 6:06am I hadn't fully woken up yet!!! (not that I get better throughout the day though)

I call B.S.! Guys like you do more before 0900 than most people do ALL DAY :lol:

Happy Trails!

Moose Brand HD (I think they are Metzeler made) 3mm @$15-25

Maxxis HD 1.5mm @$10

Maxxis XHD 2.5mm @$12

Michelin UHD 4mm (sick thick) @$25

Kenda tuff tube 2.5mm @$10-15

those are the most common examples

my machine has the UHD Michelin tubes (read heavy weight, lots of unsprung weight, oh well) ,

With these HD tubes You can get away with lower pressures (great traction), even in rocky H&H and HS conditions mine are 13 in the F at the highest and 12psiR is the highest back there. mostly I run 10psi in the rear and 12F. If very sandy its single digits in the rear, but always double digit pressure in the front.

(note if you slightly air them (HD or any tubes) they go in very easily and give great rim lock feedback)

note also this 100% offroad,,,,, DS requires more PSI.