paulmbowers

Good ride in AB, and then the Ranger

My buddy Brian and I rode from the Ocotillo Texaco up to bluin via sand dam, etc, then over to Fish creek, the diablo drop up, mud caves Canyon Sin Nombre, S2, Dos Cabezas, and back. All at pace almost no stops, never removed my helmet (except for the cave)and none over 5 mins. An excellent ride, and thanks to Roger for the tracks.

Coming out on 8, Brian was stopped for speeding just east of the Immigration Checkpoint. The CHP told him he would not have ticketed him if he were not pulling a trailer. Just an FYI. It was under 80.

But. While ripping through Fish Creek, a couple rangers stopped us. Yes, we could have "not seen them" but I make it a rule to stop when requested by LEOs. Call me a chicken if you'd like. Nice guys, want to be sure were had street legal bikes.

License plate? Check.

Mirror? yes for me, no for Brian.

Tires DOT approved, no for either.

Turn indicators? Nope.

So he asks- how far is your camp, and can you call someone to come get you?

I'm not liking where he's heading with this, se we talk and cajole. He decided to allow us to proceed, but writes our names and dl# and plates in his little notebook, explaining that our bikes will now be in the "database", and if we are stopped again without compliance, "things will get expensive for us".

Now, I appreciate his attitude- he was courteous and kind. But funny enough, he had no database to check, and we never signed anything that we were even there, nor removed our helmets for a proper ID. He didn't have a laptop, or a pda with which to check a "database", nor did he radio to see if were might have already been in the bad tire users list. So I'm not too concerned about the repercussions, but was surprised that we were subject to an equipment check more than sparkys and plates.

Anyway, I'm about done with AB for the season, so I'll stick to the other riding opportunities around the county for the time being.

I ran into this kind of fake inforcement at Pine Valley when Michell took pictures of our bikes to compare with pictures she claimed she had of bikes being ridden out of bounds. Did you get any names.

Hijak........the Pirelli MT 18 is a great DOT front tire and I'm putting a MT43 on the rear of my 525 it's a DOT trials tire !!!!!!

scofflaw!!

At least you have a DOT approved headlight and tail light, a battery capable of running the lights for 15 minutes without the engine running, and have CARB approved jetting!!! Otherwise that Ranger wouldve busted you!

Bill; I have one of those tires in the garage, just waiting to put it on... I haven't really found a DOT front tire that I like.

Paul; glad you guys had a good ride... Check out www.abdspscofflaws.com for an update with a picture of you and your bike

YOU just made the list.....buddy. :lol: glad you had a good ride up to that point!!

just another case of the man trying to hold a brother down i suppose....glad you didn't get all Midnight Express on us :lol:

i knew i saw some desperado in ya!!

Blind B)..who thought Midnight Cowboy was that movie.....man, i was WAAAAAYYYYYYY off.........right??? :lol:

A couple of years ago we were stopped for "speeding" in a sand wash. They checked for mirrors, blinkers and current plate and registration. All 3 of us were good. Sorry to hear they are checking tires. I may have to stick with my DOT teraflex if they are going to be checking tires. Thanks for the heads up.

interesting - I think from a safety perspective, a horn is more important than DOT tires, speedometer, and possibly turn signals

Enforcing DOT in a sand wash?

It's pressure from the tire lobby in Washington... :lol:

In a sand wash?

Arroyo Seco Del Diablo to be exact. (it has sand :lol: )

Friggin' reeeedikulus! Database...Ha! Not to say someone that "enthused" might have their personal list kept in the truck for a future random encounter.

In case it ever comes up, LE (individuals) are not allowed to keep personal databases of any persons or group. It has to be kept in a systematic file (electronic or otherwise) in a designated area (computer access is enough) and is subject to audit by CA DOJ. The days of "personal intel" files in the trunk/briefcase/etc went out years ago. Go figure...some ego freaks abused the intended use....

Glad u had a good ride...

Hmmm. :lol: Don't get me started on AB rangers. Last year I got a fraudulent parking ticket out there. I tried fighting it for about six months before I was too worn down and they already had my check anyway. They claimed that I was parked off the trail on sensitive vegetation and claimed to have pictures of it, which was impossible. I asked to see the pictures and sent pictures of my own, but to no avail. Nuff said. :lol:

interesting - I think from a safety perspective, a horn is more important than DOT tires, speedometer, and possibly turn signals

ooops, my horn on my husky fell a while ago....

I have been stopped at Corral Canyon to check the spark arrestor... The lady was nice, but could not believe my bike's pipe was legal and was approved. I had to show her the little letters (she was cordial)...

I was also stopped together with my son on proctor valley rd (dirt part) heading Jamul... The ranger thought we were only green sticker, but checked our plates and let us go...

I believe they are sworn officers with arrest powers- Ken? They do carry weapons, and generally speaking, that's enough for me. I found this one arresting: rangerette.jpg

Whilst the pics upload to Photobucket....

Haven't confirmed...but yeah, the have peace officer powers. Haven't checked which ones...dif levels...full, limited, etc.

They can cite, arrest, so It's best just to do the Golden Rule with them...and for that sake, all folks.

Guest crmyers

Hey how come the rangerette is covering up her wedding ring? I did not notice that the first time I read the post.

Fakename Looking at the picture, are you carrying the big stick, or is she? The story kind of reminds me of my feelings on smog testing, if it can pass the tail pipe test, who cares how you got there. If you've got the basics, live and let live. But I guess thats only in a perfect world.

Were losing our freedom a little at a time.

Those little bites are getting bigger recently!

“Change you can believe in” because liberty is just oh soooo…hard.

Just thinking out loud here...but for $50.00 a year why not apply for green sticker, in addition to plate? That way you would be covered in all situations. Is this even possible?

Just thinking out loud here...but for $50.00 a year why not apply for green sticker, in addition to plate? That way you would be covered in all situations. Is this even possible?

AB doesn't allow any vehicles that are not street legal.

Hey how come the rangerette is covering up her wedding ring? I did not notice that the first time I read the post.

Good reason to keep the helmet on. The ladies can't resist a man in armour.

What about UNDER ARMOUR??!?!??

tecatepeak.jpg

What about UNDER ARMOUR??!?!??

Dang, I had to look up at the URL, I thought I got redirected to Men's Health.

In addition to the "legality" items already mentioned, once in Mojave National Preserve when the ranger couldent find anything missing equipment wise he asked for license, reg, and proof of insurance. I had everything except the MC endorsement on my drivers license but I had a learners permit, but not on me. He "let me go" but I got the impression he was very dissapointed. He must have followed my tracks for 50 miles. I was taking a lunch break and saw him coming way off in the distance and he followed my exact route right up to me.

I believe the rangers see us as a "revenue stream" and it is olny gonna get worse as ranger budgets are cut.

Now I always expect to be hassled. The look of dissapointment on their faces is worth the trouble of bieng 110% legal. :ph34r: