Crawdaddy

A nice father/son dualsport day

My kids all seem to work on the weekends now that they’re older……….so it’s a rare occasion when I actually get out and ride with any of’em…….Jarrett hasn’t ridden since we went up for the Bishop 3 Day last fall……but luckily he had today off so we went out and rode the Day 2 loop of this year’s Desert Dash

We parked over at the Pinyon Trailhead and we were on our way shortly before 9am (brief delay so I could jump start some guy’s rental car (he and his wife are visiting from Northern CA.)…….. they were parked /camped about a mile in from the parking area and had decided to listen to some tunes under the stars last night…….only to wake up to a dead battery!! :fool: ……he was pretty stoked we when we rolled up since he was preparing to hike out and seek help :help: …….He offered cash but I said “no way man….this is just what you do….it’s a karma thing” ;) …….then he said, “well, how bout I send you bottle or two of wine from my winery”…….well …..hmmmmm ….Ok B) ………anyway, we were soon on our way again…..

Off to the Squeeze where we made our first stop of the morning…….perfect day……sunny/empty/just me and my son…..awesome…. :dance3:

100_1285.jpg

As we prepared to leave The Squeeze I pulled rank on the boy and said, " here, you mount the pig for the drop off, etc.”…..he wasn’t overly pleased with that executive decision but he made it look easy :) …….then he gave me.......a well deserved salute at the bottom…. :):P:lol:

100_1287.jpg

100_1290.jpg

He handled the pig like a piglet……no problems for a fit/skilled 17yr old (I was happy to rest and ride the 520)

100_1294.jpg

Once we got back down into Fish Creek, I remounted the Exxon Valdez Adventure Sled and we headed for Slot Canyon…….Since Jarrett was now back on the 520 he seemed to be having some issues with the front end :rolleyes: …….you see, he couldn’t keep it down :ph34r::lol: ……..here he is sailing by me in the canyon's of Fish Creek…..he eventually dropped the front wheel (so he could turn the corner) :lol::lol::D

100_1298.jpg

100_1301.jpg

I hadn’t ridden through Slot Canyon before……and I don’t think I’ve been out to Fonts Point in a year or two……pretty awesome scenery to have right in our backyard…..

100_1302.jpg

100_1303.jpg

100_1305.jpg

We inhaled some cheap Mex food in Borrego Springs and set off for Culp/Jasper/Grapevine……man, I love that series of trails in either direction :lol::lol: …..only snapped one photo along Jasper…..

100_1306.jpg

Then we headed down to Rodriguez Spur to finish off the afternoon……a couple of shots from just above the barbed wire gate (BTW, I set waypoints for several items for future use/reference on Desert Dash/other rides…..like the location of that "Barbed Wire" gate for folks new to the area/trail…….it’s not that visible so I could see someone from outside the area pulling a “Steve McQueen from The Great Escape” and getting tangled in that mess after braking too late……so now it’s marked ;) )

100_1307.jpg

100_1310.jpg

And that’s it……..nice ~135 mile day/ride with my son…….it doesn't get a whole lot better than that.....unless you throw on another day :lol:B)

PS: Thanks to Strega for letting me borrow his radio…….nice to be able to communicate with the boy out on the trail…..

Great photos, what a great day for a ride. Since my wife worked 6 days this week it was a Honey Day for me. I need to get out on those trails it looked like a fun ride.

I have seen some great photos on here, but those two take the cake. They do not even look real. Chris, can you post the GPS coordinates for that photo shoot?

I have seen some great photos on here, but those two take the cake. They do not even look real. Chris, can you post the GPS coordinates for that photo shoot?

Jarrett's endless wheelie shots? Once I fiddle with my active track I may be able to tell where I was stopped to take the photos......it's the tall/main canyon down in Fish Creek.....can't miss it.......remember where we stopped for refreshments on the night ride last fall? :blink: ......and how brillant the wall looked that Ken illuminated with a spot light? :huh: .......the photo of Jarrett's endless wheelie is about a mile(? :unsure: ) or so short of that spot as you're heading towards Rock-a-tillo Smells ;).......If I can figure out the coordinates I'll let ya know......better yet - GO RIDE FISH CREEK!!!

Those are some really great shots. Thanks for the report!

E

They are all great shots, but I'm specifically referring to the pictures of him with his helmet off and that scenic background. I want to get a few shots of that for my office. I don't remember where the night ride was last year or where Fish Creek is. Will quads work on Fish Creek? Is it beginner friendly?

They are all great shots, but I'm specifically referring to the pictures of him with his helmet off and that scenic background. I want to get a few shots of that for my office. I don't remember where the night ride was last year or where Fish Creek is. Will quads work on Fish Creek? Is it beginner friendly?

Ohhhhhhhh........

Fish Creek (south of Ocotillo Wells off Split Mtn Rd.) is many miles away from "Font's Point": N33 15.469 W116 14.016 (4 miles in off S22 near Borrego Springs)......no quad tards allowed in the wash that leads out to Fonts Point.....(yeah!! :unsure: ) Street Plated vehicles only.....

Likewise, no quad-tards allowed in Fish Creek either (yeah!! :blink: ) Street Plated vehicles only.....

Boo-hoo for the "two wheels too many" crowd :huh:;):P:D

That's Font's Point. I actually like the lookout at Vista del Malpais a little better. It is nowhere near as crowded.

Nice look pics there. I think Jarrett and I have the same issue with the front end of the bike. It never really wants to be on the ground :unsure:

I love to see family stuff like this, its hard to get the kids all together for shots, good work and great pics. I also live for the 2nd day of the dash, pinion, culp, rodrigues, fish creek.

I love to see family stuff like this, its hard to get the kids all together for shots, good work and great pics. I also live for the 2nd day of the dash, pinion, culp, rodrigues, fish creek.

Yeah, the dad/son stuff is good to see. My son has probably asked me 20 times in the last few weeks if I plan on taking leave during spring break so that we can camp and ride Corral Canyon again. He's really looking forward to it!

Crawdaddy,

It seems like it was only a few months ago when I was at your house with Randy for a few beers, but I gotta ask. How did Jarrett grow up so fast? He still looked like a kid back then and now he looks like, dare I say it, I hate to make you feel old, a man. I think I just made myself feel old too.

jb

I hate to make you feel old, a man.

And he's the youngest of the 4 kids ;):unsure: .....it's not so much that I feel old.....I still feel/act pretty young.....BUT......I AM getting older/fatter/balder......so much for aging gracefully :blink::huh:

And he's the youngest of the 4 kids :D:unsure: .....it's not so much that I feel old.....I still feel/act pretty young.....BUT......I AM getting older/fatter/balder......so much for aging gracefully :huh:;)

Lets not forget someone at the Desert Dash calling you my dad. :blink:

Lets not forget someone at the Desert Dash calling you my dad. :ok:

I can neither confirm nor deny that I may have heard a comment to that affect :ok:

"StregaDaddy" has an interesting ring to it...

As explained in my signature - Crawford + 4 (or more) kids = Crawdaddy.........the equation doesn't change no matter how many kids (or wanna be kids) you add to the pile :ok: :ok: :ok:

So- we can all call you "Daddy"?

Sure - Chris, Crawdaddy, C-Daddy, C-Dad, C-Diddy,.....or "Daddy" will work just fine :ok:

You might want to back Daddy out of the approved titles. A bunch of grown men calling you Daddy could get misinterpreted.

Just a quick observation that I didn't really think through. I apologize if I'm raining on your “parade” here.

I think I'm going with "C-Diddy" from now on :ok:

Sounds much more gangster than the rest.

Sounds much more gangster than the rest.

.....and if there's anybody I've met in SDAR that's gangsta, it's Chris. Followed by Fakey.