Crawdaddy

Another Crawdaddy/SDAR Road Trip?

I haven’t seen so many new faces since the Desert Dash......It was nice to meet so many of you and finally get to ride with you also......I would like to do more riding up that way.........Would really like to do Death Valley this year.

Hmmmmmmmmmm :)

Perhaps the next “C-Daddy invitational group ride” oughta be a swing through Death Valley sometime this Spring? :o ……I’ve had a few people ask me about setting something up B) .......…same kinda terrain as the X-plane ride with regular and hero options only EARLIER START, MORE MILES, AND MULTIPLE DAYS :):):).....sometimes it's good/fun to be the self annointed group ride B)!..... :)

Format: Unsupported, ~350 mile, GPS navigated, 2 day round trip …..drive to Ridgecrest on a Friday night........head out of Ridgecrest towards the Trona Pinnacles/Beatty Sat morning at O’Dark thirty in prearranged ~5-6 person sub-groups (~190 miles)…….spend Sat night at some luxurious 2 star motel in Beatty (I think it's called "Club Motel 6 Resort" or something like that :) )………leave Beatty at O’Dark Thirty Sunday morning and head back to Ridgecrest via a slightly shorter route (~160 Miles)…....then drive home Sunday night……dualsport bikes and/or ADV bike riders comfortable with whoops and a few steeps/step ups.....

Jarrett and I have done this loop twice with Countdown (supported)…….and although Jerry still runs his ride every weekend in March, he’s also been nice enough to post his Death Valley Tracks on his library in GPSXchange.com so they’re now out in the public forum/domain (you do belong to GPSXChange.com right? :lol:)………therefore no infringement issues in terms of utilizing some of his files/tracks in addition to other files I have in my own personal library of GPS “stuff”……the difference is C-Daddy rides are unsupported other than GPS tracks……no point to point shuttling of duffle bags, no roll charts, no T-Shirts, no welcome cocktail! (at least not on my tab!)

Stay tuned……

Teaser..........the view down into Titus Canyon on the return to Ridgecrest in March 07:

Titus.jpg

Jarrett made new friend in Titus Cayon:

JarrettTitusCanyon-1.jpg

Thanks for the great ride C-Dad/Strega this past weekend. What a great start for the 2009 riding season. I'm looking forward to X-Plane 2010. Maybe an annual ride???

Please let me know if you need help with a Death Valley ride. I've attached a ride I put together during September 07. Some of the SDAR riders participated.

Thanks, Boat440

is moab in the cdiddy pipeline?

I WOULD like to make another Moab trip this Spring along with another BAR 10 (North Rim of Grand Canyon) trip.....my son hasn't been to either location (yet) and this is our last Spring together for a while since he'll likely be off to some sort of Military training next Spring.....so we'll see - hopefully I can make that happen.....

Not sure what my/our Spring schedule is yet.....

Regardless of when I go, you should go......heck, EVERYONE should go to both locations at some point in time.....

Our own GPS Kevin is an excellant resource for planning trips to both of those locations as well as other Utah destinations.....go to GPSKevin's Webpage for tracks and ride descriptions.....

Thanks for the great ride C-Dad/Strega this past weekend. What a great start for the 2009 riding season. I'm looking forward to X-Plane 2010. Maybe an annual ride???

Please let me know if you need help with a Death Valley ride. I've attached a ride I put together during September 07. Some of the SDAR riders participated.

Thanks, Boat440

Ok this time with attachment (.txt file). Save it your desk top, then rename with .gds. Then open in Map Source.

is moab in the cdiddy pipeline?

Moab to 5 miles of hell. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjTVFsmawOo

Been there.....experienced that :o ......suggest anyone thinking about riding 5 Miles of Hell go to Moab first and hit 5MOH on the way back....start early and plan to spend ~5 hours on/in 5MOH......no big bikes.....

Let's keep THIS thread on Death Valley :):lol:

Moab is awesome... I could do without 5 miles of hell. Or maybe just ride my bicycle... Deathwings work great on slickrock!

sounds like a good trip i'm doing one like it this week will report back and let you know how it goes

Sounds like another awesome ride!! I'll tag along if no one minds :)

it's Death Valley Time. A trip is planned for Dec 5,6,7. As usual we'll start early from Ballerat ghost town on Fri. and ride a 30 mile loop into the Panamints and back to the truck to gas up and head for Beatty. On Sat the plan is to ride Titus Canyon, go over to the racetrack, down Lippencott to Saline Valley and make a right and head north past the hot springs and up to the crater and into Big Pine for gas and on to Lone Pine for Dinner. This leg is 190 miles without gas, a min. of 5 gal. will be needed. If it gets to late there may be some highway. On Sun, up to Cerro Gordo, down the secret trail to Darwin, into Panamint for gas, and back over the rocky trail to the truck. Lunches look to be sorta sketchy so bring lotsa bars. At this time there are 4 riders who have confirmed and 6 would be about right.

this trip was postponed from december leaving this thursday

Sweet agenda/trip......please go start your own thread to promote it so we can avoid any confusion :huh:<_<:)

"Perhaps the next “C-Daddy invitational group ride” oughta be a swing through Death Valley sometime this Spring?"

Death Valley ride. Woohoo

homer_1024x768.png

Sweet. Count me in. <_< Ken

Chris, I like the way you think.

I'd like to do the Death Valley ride leaving on big bikes from San Diego. Leave Friday AM and meet with Crawdaddy's group Friday night. Anyone else up for this?

KLRoger you need a vacation this would be perfect. Bagster??

Wayne

Wayne

Wayne, this would be great but... new job...no vacation. Otherwise I would not have missed C-Daddy's last road trip. You guys have fun.

I'd like to do the Death Valley ride leaving on big bikes from San Diego. Leave Friday AM and meet with Crawdaddy's group Friday night. Anyone else up for this?

Wayne

Admirable, but geez, that'll make for a BIG day on Sunday if you ride back to Ridgecrest AND try to ride home Sunday night (in the dark)......so you'd probably want to plan on staying an extra day in Ridgecrest......maybe even ride a more interesting route over/back than simply "super slabbing" it on the 15/395......though I can think of one group of ADV riders that may like your sick plan.....paging Kevin to the Ghostriderz courtesy phone :(:D

Wayne

Admirable, but geez, that'll make for a BIG day on Sunday if you ride back to Ridgecrest AND try to ride home Sunday night (in the dark)......so you'd probably want to plan on staying an extra day in Ridgecrest......maybe even ride a more interesting route over/back than simply "super slabbing" it on the 15/395......though I can think of one group of ADV riders that may like your sick plan.....paging Kevin to the Ghostriderz courtesy phone :spiteful: :rolleyes:

Chris,

I had thought about some alternatives for either the trip to Ridgecrest or the ride home. For now I just wanted to put out the idea of riding from San Diego to see if there was any interest.

Not sure how to explain it but it just seems so wrong to put the 950 in a truck. It’s cool when the adventure starts right out of the garage.

What ever I end up doing I do I hope I can make this ride and look forward to riding with you and the other members again.

Wayne

I'm all in C Daddy.

There will be a second Husky going as well, count me in too. :spiteful:

I vote for sooner rather than later as they call it Death Valley for a reason. It heats up much earlier than our local desert.

TODD

Wayne

Wayne, this would be great but... new job...no vacation. Otherwise I would not have missed C-Daddy's last road trip. You guys have fun.

Roger,

No vacation? Sounds like a sentence not a job. I hope your still able to get in a ride now and then.

Wayne

Roger,

No vacation? Sounds like a sentence not a job. I hope your still able to get in a ride now and then.

Wayne

Wayne,

Although I have been to prison, several prisons in fact, :lol: it is a new job not a sentence.

I guess I should have said that I have no vacation right now. I don’t start earning vacation until I’m off of a six month probation period. I work every weekend now. My days off are Tuesday and Wednesday. I still want to make West Fest with crawdaddy. I don’t care if he is an attorney I want to go. I might be able to take time off with out pay and make that one.

I hope you guys have a great death valley ride. It sounds like a lot of fun. B)

I'm looking at the weekend of March 21/22 for this ride......stay in Ridgecrest Friday night the 20th and head out EARLY Sat morning the 21st (meet in Walmart Parking lot).....stay in Beatty, NV. on Sat night the 21st, ride back to Ridgecrest & drive home on Sunday the 22nd......

I've done this ride a couple of times on my 400/520......the main route is doable on bigger bikes but there are a few tricky spots on the main course (there are also optional hardways for small bikes only - must like rocks and not get overly "puckered" by riding on ledges - no margin for error).....as I recall, the only "challenging" sections on the main route were after lunch in Furnace Creek on day one..........after lunch we rode through Echo Canyon.....there are a couple of rock step ups/ledges that may require a bit of bulldogging regardless of bike size just a ways past "Eye of the Needle"

Eye of the Needle in Echo Canyon:

eyeofneedle.jpg

There is also a DEEP silt stretch in the latter part of the first day past Echo Canyon that is probably the deepest stuff I've ever ridden through and I have no reason to believe the terrain has changed in the past couple of years......doable on a bigger bike but you MUST have knobbies, gear heavy to avoid spinning, and use your throttle liberally or you'll bog down and get stuck......not sure which bike I'll take on this ride......if my son goes I'll ride 620 (except in the two stretches noted above :ph34r: ).......if he stays home I'll probably ride the 520......

As with the X-Plane Ride, I'll take anyone/everyone along the main route.....those wanting more of a challenge can splinter off on the hardways.....I recommend we ride in groups of 6 or less to keep the pace up......first day mileage is ~190 miles.......

General info on area:

Info on Goler Canyon

Info on Charlie's place

info on Furnace Creek

Info on Titus Canyon

Ballarat - welcome to nowhere