Strega

All-new CRF230L

Honda announced their third wave of 2009 releases today. Headlining the new on-road models is an all-new DN-01, which they have yet to release photos of. The DN-01 is a 680cc liquid-cooled V-twin with programmed digital fuel injection with all the modern touches - including a fully-automatic transmission. Honda also announced an upgraded Gold Wing 1800, now availible with XM Radio, Traffic Navigation and Weather service. It also comes with a new Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). Another all-new model is the CRF230M – a motard version of the street-legal CRF230L dual-sport. With black body work and a black frame, the air-cooled 223cc four-stroke will come with 17-inch wheels and low-pro tires.

2009-crf230m-lg.jpg

From Cycle News

It's a cute li'l slugtard. It'll be really popular with urban commuters who want to save fuel costs and have a little fun lane splitting. <_<

Nice try Honda, but where's the exciting motard?

Nice try Honda, but where's the exciting motard?

what? A 230 not enough for yall?

If honda wants to be taken seriously, they need to bring back the 650R, or unleash the long-rumoured 700.

An air-cooled 230- like I should be talking; it would prolly out perform the mighty TW everywhere except deep sand. I imagine the suspension would suck just as bad...

I know the margins aren't there, but surely the company that brings us the cbr, the gold wing, the CRF line, and the rune can give the DS/adventure/SuMo world something to get excited about...

Brand loyalty is pecked away a little bit at a time, and husky, bmw, ktm and the smaller boutique companies are going to make big red regret it. Honda takes so long to release a new model, they can't keep pace with the European and Australian bikes

I have not seen the new 680, but maybe that will be the powerplant for a new DS. You now honda will end up comming out with something. They like to take thier time and do it right. More profit to make a design right the first time and have long production runs.

I really like my CRF230, but this motard.....I just don't see the audience they are looking for? People who want good mileage but don't drive freeways?

I would rather have a scooter, can't believe I said that.

TNT you have a 230 how do you like it ? im looking for a bike for my 13yr old boy he is 5'8 and is 120lbs wet and a good rider on my 400xr but its just too big .in your opinion is it a good choice or is the 150f a better choice. what made you buy a 230?

any one else with an opinon

hijack off

TNT you have a 230 how do you like it ? im looking for a bike for my 13yr old boy he is 5'8 and is 120lbs wet and a good rider on my 400xr but its just too big .in your opinion is it a good choice or is the 150f a better choice. what made you buy a 230?

hijack off

I had a CR150F for a little while. I'm 5 and a half feet tall (almost) and the 150 just fit me. I think that the suspension was a little short and soft, even though I weigh around 120. I think a 13 year old that size would outgrow a 150 pretty fast, but wouldn't do that as quickly on a 230. The bigger wheels on the 230 will help the bike behave better in sand and whoops. The 150 weighs 223 and the 230 weighs about 240, but both of them have a fairly low center of gravity.

hijack off

I had a CR150F for a little while. I'm 5 and a half feet tall (almost) and the 150 just fit me. I think that the suspension was a little short and soft, even though I weigh around 120. I think a 13 year old that size would outgrow a 150 pretty fast, but wouldn't do that as quickly on a 230. The bigger wheels on the 230 will help the bike behave better in sand and whoops. The 150 weighs 223 and the 230 weighs about 240, but both of them have a fairly low center of gravity.

FYI

Malcolm Smith usually rode a 250 Husky. It is not your number of CCs but what you do with what you have.

Not to put myself in the same league but I find myself riding my 250 Husky OR much more than the 390. Same with my Honda XLs. I have a Honda 600 XL I haven't started in over a year. It sometimes feels like a motorcycle version of a truck. But.... I ride my vintage but agile Honda 250 XLs almost daily. They feel like a motorcycle version of my 1985 Nissan 300zx.

Don

I think that he is good enough for a bigger bike but at 120lbs he dosent need a 400 i feel he would be faster on a smaller bike but the dealer says 150 all the way but the 230 is cheaper and has elect start. they both fit him well i dont want him on a 2smoke 80 too small 125 too powerful no fuel economy. 230 more woodsy where 150 more motocross still in delema but not buying a scooter

hijack off

Surprisingly, I like the 230. It has good enough power for it's size and a nice six speed transmission, and E-start. I got it Christmas 2006 for my daughter, she was 13 and about the same height as your son. I got a great deal on a dual sported 230 from a buddy and hid it at a friends house, moved it into the house Christmas Eve. She was driving a KX100 at the time and although the power was more than enough for her (she putts around), she was too tall for it.

I wouldn't waste time with the 150 if you have a teenager, he will be about 7 feet tall next month. If your son likes to jump, or ride fast over whoops then you don't want a 230 either because the suspension is kind of crap. Good trail bike if you ride at a reasonable pace, I've done almost every trail in Corral Canyon on mine.

everything is relative; the husky 250 of the 70's is no comparison to the 230 of this era. But I will agree on this point; it ain't the arrow, its the Indian. Hondapilot uses horse/cowboy but I like the motorcycle Indian reference

I wouldn't waste time with the 150 if you have a teenager

Agreed.....especially a teenager with a few years of riding experience under his belt......Jarrett went from a YZ80 to a RM100 to.....a YZ400 (when he was 12/13)......he could barely touch the ground for a while.....and had to stand on something to kick it..... but when he was moving it was perfect......the 150 sounds like an underpowered/undersuspended pig.....suspension on the 230 is probably lame as well.....both are a step DOWN from the XR400 (IMHO) and therefore your boy WILL NOT BE HAPPY......if your boy can handle a heavy XR400 he can handle a YZ400....and a 98/99 YZ400 has 40HP as opposed to the 30HP on the XR400 (I've owned both)........it's also lighter/more nimble than the XR400 and has better suspension......and I bet you can find a used one CHEAP since eveyone wants a 450 these days.....people are giving away 400's and 426's........DO NOT get the 150/230......your boy will be bored to tears before you know it if you head down that road (as a dualsport the 230 would probably be fine but your kid wants a light/powerful/flickable bike........that's not it)

What was this post about again <_< ....oh, the CRF230 "supermotard" :o:o:bad:

hijack off

WR250F (the offroad version) - no doubt!!! He should just about be tall enough (if not he will be shortly - trust me), and stock, they're pretty mellow. You can "YZ-ify" them pretty easily (remove throttle stop, uncork intake, rejet, more agressive ignition curve) with an $80 kit from Yamaha. That way he can ride it mellow until he gets the feel of it and uncork it when he's ready. The WR will keep him happy for years to come! Don't buy into the hype of needing displacement - these fast revving 250's are a blast to ride. I rode my son's 300 (when it was still mine), and at 5'11", 220 lbs, it had plenty of grunt to haul me around except up the steepest, softest sand hills...

He'd outgrow the 230 or the 150 too quickly in my opinion. The 250 is a much more modern bike - much more powerful, revvy, and fun to ride. And the WR avoids the valve problems the CRF series are supposed to have.

If you're looking for a dual-sport (I know it's still a couple years off), ya can't beat a KLX-250S or a DRZ-400S...

I have the WR450F, my cousin has the WR250F, both 07's, green sticker. If ya wanna meet up on some saturday and give them both a shot, I'm sure we could work something out.

[with all the modern touches - including a fully-automatic transmission.

I have a 79 Husqvarna 390 Desert Racer with a 4 Speed fully automatic transmission.

Very fast bike and no Clutch.

The only drawback is that the bike shifts when it wants to. It can be a problem in tricky off road situations when you want to do something that doesn't "make sense" to the bike's transmission.

Don

I really like my CRF230, but this motard.....I just don't see the audience they are looking for? People who want good mileage but don't drive freeways?

;) DITTO THAT

Me too!! :lol:

I've seen people riding them on the freeways. :lol: The only thing that I like about them (besides good fuel economy) is how you can flip the seat up and there's a little trunk space you can stow things in. :lol: I don't like little wheels and that empty space where you should be gripping the gas tank with your knees.

Im so fed up with the same old products and the lack of choices Honda gives us here in the states....my XRL has been a good bike but it will be the last Honda I buy new (always looking for a deal on a used 250/450 for my kid) until they wise up and "Get it" by making bikes like this available here.....

Honda_FMX_650_1763_9.jpg

Im so fed up with the same old products and the lack of choices Honda gives us here in the states....my XRL has been a good bike but it will be the last Honda I buy new (always looking for a deal on a used 250/450 for my kid) until they wise up and "Get it" by making bikes like this available here.....

While that bike is okay, to me it's just like the CRF230 motard on a larger scale. Re-hashed old sh**, an old eduro with some futuristic styling and motard wheels doesn't impress me. Honda used to be at the cutting edge, now they are playing catch up and doing it all wrong.