Sign in to follow this  
bikeslut

Sunday the 9th

As in Ocotillo Wells, NOT OW! that hurt! :lol:

I'll see what kind of interest this drums up... for the season opener, I would like to visit most of the usual places (although I've only been there 3 times, and pretty much have no clue the whole time)

If everybody is plated, I like to hit the little slot canyon... a little bit of a tricky sandy downhill, due to steep and deep. Pumpkin, Shell, Gas Domes, etc. I don't really know my way around there that well... about as well as the Jacumba area :D

I will tentatively refer to this as a newb friendly ride, but if anybody wants to disagree, please post up! There IS lots of sand of differing deepness, so if you are real timid, you may have a hard time.

i will be glad to teach sand riding 101 before the group ride (of there is a group) starts to anybody that is interested... and if I actually know more about sand riding than anybody there... definitely not my strong suit!

(do NOT ask what my strong suit is... I am currently between strong suits)

I'm in if I get the 450 back from C & D in time. Some mods in the works. Not plated tho.... if this affects where u want to go, I'll join in on another ride.

Sand Riding 101: By Strega

Get a steering damper.

/the end

Get a steering damper.

/the end

Roger

Vintage Huskys never needed them. :tease:

Don

Get a steering damper.

/the end

Roger

Don

Neither do the new ones. :wacko:

Get a steering damper.

/the end

Roger

Don

Neither do the new ones. :wacko:

Sand Riding 102: by zenosan

1 - No more than 6lbs tire pressure.

2 - Get all your weight on the pegs.

(The lower the center of gravity the better.)

3 - Don't slow down, you are hydroplaning on sand.

(It is like water skiing - you slow down, you sink.)

I usually run my bikes at ~10-12 rear/12-14 front out in Ocotillo Wells area.......if you put your front tire all the way down to 6 PSI it's quite likely that you WILL get a pinch flat.......plenty of hidden rocks out there......of course I'm also riding heavier bikes and I'm pretty portly too......but still, I think 6PSI is way to low (for motorcycles).....I don't even go below 10 PSI in Glamis and it's ALL sand....

I run my quads at ~4/5 PSI.....

WHAT TIME DO YOU THINK YOU WILL WANT TO MEET IN O.W. I MAY CAMP IN SUPERSTITION AND RIDE THERE TO MEET YOU JUST ASKING FIRST TO SEE IF I CAN GET A PASS.

I usually run my bikes at ~10-12 rear/12-14 front out in Ocotillo Wells area.......if you put your front tire all the way down to 6 PSI it's quite likely that you WILL get a pinch flat.......plenty of hidden rocks out there......of course I'm also riding heavier bikes and I'm pretty portly too......but still, I think 6PSI is way to low (for motorcycles).....I don't even go below 10 PSI in Glamis and it's ALL sand....

Terraflex tires used to suggest 3psi with rim locks of course. But they had very stiff sidewalls and were difficult to install. My brother and I always ran them (with hard riding) with 3 - 6 lbs with no problem. Some of my old Husky rims have pointed dimples to keep the tires from spinning. My 79 Husky 390WR weighs about 240lbs, the 250OR weighs 230lbs. I, however, average about 150lbs of Pure Wildcat!

Don

I expect to be in OW around 7 or 8. I'll be near the ranger station in a red f150 4 door with a black DRZ. Let's say I'll be there at 8

anybody wants to carpool, PM me.

for OW, I don't run any lower psi than normal... but I'm retarded... I run 12-15 front and 10-12 rear. i would rather plow a little, than repair snakebites all day (not to mention changing a flat in the sand, as often as not puts sand in the tire... then you abrade your tube)

The sand at OW (where i've been anyway) is not really deep, fluffy stuff. Seems to have a lot of DG in it, including some larger pieces. Keep on the gas, and it's ok.

Steering dampers are not needed at the modest speeds I ride, and the DRZ seems very planted... being geared towards newbs, that would be expected...

I may even bring out the TW, and take advantage of the fat tires.

I'll get roll call as we get closer...

Terraflex tires used to suggest 3psi with rim locks of course. But they had very stiff sidewalls and were difficult to install. My brother and I always ran them (with hard riding) with 3 - 6 lbs with no problem. Some of my old Husky rims have pointed dimples to keep the tires from spinning. My 79 Husky 390WR weighs about 240lbs, the 250OR weighs 230lbs. I, however, average about 150lbs of Pure Wildcat!

Don

I have been using Terraflex tires forever. People always make comments at our desert dash every year cuz I show up with a fresh one every year. I weigh 260 lbs and my rear tire at 5 psi and you can run it flat if you have too to get back to camp. My new ktm 690 came with D606s and Icant wait till it wears out so I can put on the terraflex. A fresh terraflex with low pressure moves my big butt everywere at superstition.

Terraflex tires used to suggest 3psi with rim locks of course.

I didn't realize you were talking about "Terror-Flexes"......those are the exception not the rule......

My suggestion stands for other tires.....~10-12 rear / 12-14 front......I lean towards the high side since I'm a fat bastard.....

Terraflex tires used to suggest 3psi with rim locks of course.

I didn't realize you were talking about "Terror-Flexes"......those are the exception not the rule......

My suggestion stands for other tires.....~10-12 rear / 12-14 front......I lean towards the high side since I'm a fat bastard.....

I agree with everything crawdaddy said

:ph34r:

I'm a fat bastard.....

:o

Bikeslut that's mean to quote C-Daddy that way. :o:P:o

I'm a fat bastard.....

:o

Bikeslut that's mean to quote C-Daddy that way. :o:P:o

This is probably really going upset many younger riders.

Just to make things worse. I know I am an obsolete heretic with the modern crowd but ......... if your suspension is too high your weight on the pegs will be too high for the center of gravity. Your center of gravity ideally should be at or below the centerline of the wheel axles when you shift all your weight to the pegs. Too much suspension is a disadvantage is this situation. Excessive travel may make the whoops easy but it doesn't help when negotiating many other situations in off road riding. There is a real advantage to keeping your suspension moderate.

I know I am a college professor and this may sound pedantic of me but I did not invent the laws of physics and geometry.

Flame away.

Don

This is probably really going upset many younger riders.

Just to make things worse. I know I am an obsolete heretic with the modern crowd but ......... if your suspension is too high your weight on the pegs will be too high for the center of gravity. Your center of gravity ideally should be at or below the centerline of the wheel axles when you shift all your weight to the pegs. Too much suspension is a disadvantage is this situation. Excessive travel may make the whoops easy but it doesn't help when negotiating many other situations in off road riding. There is a real advantage to keeping your suspension moderate.

I know I am a college professor and this may sound pedantic of me but I did not invent the laws of physics and geometry.

Flame away.

Don

Something must be wrong with me, I actually understand this. Sure, I wait all these years to finally get educated! :o

the middle ground is a " high enough" suspension... mine isn't high enough for my riding style and weight...

as far as center of gravity; that's a whole nother issue. I agree with some of what you said

I'm so happy I'm pedantic. My wife says I have OCD.

"No honey, just pedantic"

I know it's a slight push of the definition but after having to look it up I thought I'd try using it in a sentance. :o

Good points made....

is anybody camping out there in o w this weekend for this ride?

anybody want to camp out there for this ride?

may take kids out and then meet you for ride ill just lock the kids in the trailer with the a/c going of course.

Brandon, I am interested in camping out there Saturday night (and maybe sneaking a night ride in). This beats getting up at 5am to meet BS. What time u thinking about leaving Saturday night?

Welcome to Sand Riding 101. Today we'll be discussing how to ride your dirt bike in sand washes. First I must announce that if you ride a BRP, a BGP, or a BOP, go home now or go out to the parking lot and fall down with your PB on top of you and practice righting it and yourself...repeatedly. Tire pressure should be in your normal range and if you do anything to your suspension add compresion to your fork, of course then it'll be horrible in the rocks. Next ride slightly back from your normal riding position with your posterior just off the seat. Now about turning, brake hard before the turn and have the gas on through the turn and most importantly, when in doubt GAS IT.

Doctor Bill

Welcome to Sand Riding 101. Today we'll be discussing how to ride your dirt bike in sand washes. First I must announce that if you ride a BRP, a BGP, or a BOP, go home now or go out to the parking lot and fall down with your PB on top of you and practice righting it and yourself...repeatedly. Tire pressure should be in your normal range and if you do anything to your suspension add compresion to your fork, of course then it'll be horrible in the rocks. Next ride slightly back from your normal riding position with your posterior just off the seat. Now about turning, brake hard before the turn and have the gas on through the turn and most importantly, when in doubt GAS IT.

Doctor Bill

IMO THIS IS THE BEST DESCRIPION ON HOW I LEARNED TO RIDE IN THE SAND WOT FALL PICK IT UP START IT RIDE FALL PICK UP START IT. THEN YOU LEARN NOT TO FALL AND IT GETS BETTER. ASS ON REAR OF BIKE USE BODY TO TURN. TURN UP STABILIZER. RIDE FASTER DONT PLOW FRONT WHEEL STAY ON THE GAS....DONT FALL AND STALL BIKE...XXX