Sign in to follow this  
Strega

DMV woes

Ted got a KTM620 from dad in Iowa, brought it to CA, went to DMV to register it, wasn't aware of the 7500 mi [baloney], DMV said 'sorry, can't register it here'.

Is he totally screwed now?? Anyone know of his options at this point?!?

register it out of state and just ride it here? Until it gets to 7500? Is that possible?

I'm wondering if an odometer swap would still work...or does the DMV have that mileage in the computer for that specific bike now.

If it were me, I'd get the speedo, it's sensor and a drill motor. Or maybe a bench grinder. I'd create 7500 miles in a few hours. Yes, resale value may be affected, so I'd add an engine hourmeter for maintenance interval tracking.

fn

...or does the DMV have that mileage in the computer for that specific bike now.

I've read it blogged about before that the VIN may be tagged to prevent future registration. Did the clerk look at the title or did they say "hum" after fiddling on their computer terminal?

I've read it blogged about before that the VIN may be tagged to prevent future registration. Did the clerk look at the title or did they say "hum" after fiddling on their computer terminal?

Guy came out to inspect the bike for the emissions sticker, saw the mileage and didn't care. Went back in to check on something, came back out and said, "Oh, I have bad news, sorry, can't register the bike with less than 7500 miles on it."

I think 1100 miles is what's on the computer at the DMV now. =\

Do my plan, then go to the Auto Club, not the same dmv. I doubt the clerk recorded the mileage, and if so, wait a week, and explain your fantastic long adventure trip you just took. You may even want to walk "funny" to explain your saddle-sore.

fn

Guy came out to inspect the bike for the emissions sticker, saw the mileage and didn't care. Went back in to check on something, came back out and said, "Oh, I have bad news, sorry, can't register the bike with less than 7500 miles on it."

I think 1100 miles is what's on the computer at the DMV now. =\

Is this bike a 50 state legal bike or is it one that has been dualsported? If it was originally sold as a street bike it shouldnt matter. If it was originally sold as a dirt bike then yeah, he has a battle. But one he can win.

I'd try pulling the speedo all together since its not required. Download all the paperwork from the web and get a highway patrol officer to sign off the inspection. Go to a different DMV with all the proper paperwork filled out and signed. Hopefully the clerk just looks at all the paperwork and checks off all the boxes on her computer screen and hands off a plate. The goal here is to avoid the DMV from wanting to see the bike. I wouldnt even take the bike. The argument is that since the Highway patrol has done the inspection, they dont have to. Whatever he does, dont let them hand him a green sticker. That is death to a plate.

I just got to work after stopping by the Twilight Zone (DMV) this morning........I went over to get the 620 Adv registered in CA.......I handed them all the paperwork, got out my checkbook, and then she says, "where's the bike".......what? :lol::lol: .......she said they have to inspect it/verify the VIN/Eng numbers, etc. before they can hand me a street plate......what? :blink::huh: .......I've NEVER had to physically take a bike to the DMV for inspection to get a plate......ever.......but I've also never brought a bike in from out of state........not worried about anything since this ADV had 8K miles on it when I bought it a month ago (10.5K miles on it now ;) ), was street legal from the factory, and the aftermarket Supertrapp exhaust has a spark arrestor/Fed emissions stamp on the can.....but what a hassle :lol::lol:

Is this bike a 50 state legal bike or is it one that has been dualsported? If it was originally sold as a street bike it shouldnt matter. If it was originally sold as a dirt bike then yeah, he has a battle. But one he can win.

That's my understanding... If it's a street bike, and it's got the emissions sticker stating that it meets CA street emissions, it doesn't matter what mileage. Under 7500 miles it is a "new" vehicle and must meet CA emissions (sticker proves that it does). Over 7500 it is used and does not require the emission sticker...

Here's the DMV website link: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

This is the part that screws people:

If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California.

Basically, if the flag it - the dremmel will not work...

I bet the 620 is a 50 state legal vehicle. Look for a 50 state (or meets CA emission) sticker on the frame somewhere and register it as a "new" vehicle...

OR--- see if you can "meet" one of the exceptions listed on the above website:

As usual, there are a few exceptions included in the law. As a California resident or business you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if you:

* Obtained it as part of a divorce or inheritance settlement.

* Purchased it to replace a vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.

* Purchased it to replace a vehicle which was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.

* Were on active military duty outside California, and you registered the vehicle in the state of your last military service.

...or does the DMV have that mileage in the computer for that specific bike now.

I agree with Craig. If they "flagged" your vin #, you will NEVER be able to register this in California.

Ted got a KTM620 from dad in Iowa, brought it to CA, went to DMV to register it, wasn't aware of the 7500 mi [baloney], DMV said 'sorry, can't register it here'.

Is he totally screwed now?? Anyone know of his options at this point?!?

Was this a "Gift" from dad? This may be of special significance.

Spyder

If it's a street bike, and it's got the emissions sticker stating that it meets CA street emissions, it doesn't matter what mileage. Under 7500 miles it is a "new" vehicle and must meet CA emissions (sticker proves that it does). Over 7500 it is used and does not require the emission sticker ...

NOT SO according to the supervisor at the Poway DMV this morning......

I just got to work.....another trip to the DMV this morning so they could verify my VIN/Engine numbers and issue me a CA. Plate for the 620......or so I thought :blink: ......the DMV guy verified the VIN/Engine #'s and then says, "Where's the emissions sticker (FED. & CA.)"......"Aw crap, are you kidding me?.....it's underneath the gas tank and I'll have to pull the front fairing/tank to get to it" :angry: ......"Yep", he says......"what about the fact that the bike has 10.3K miles on it.....I thought if the mileage was over 7,500 I was good to go (even though I DO have the sticker....you just can't see it without removing everything)" :unsure: ........"nope, I've gotta see it".......can we speak with your supervisor because I believe you may be mistaken" (spoken as politely as I could muster) :) .....Supervisor backed him up........told me to come back when I could show them the sticker.....I normally have a 8/10 T-handle in my tail bag but I must've left it out last night and forgot to throw it back in my tail bag......crap.......so now I have to take it apart at home and drive it over there in my truck, unload for them to see it, reload.......or disassemble it in their parking lot some other morning, show'em the sticker, reassemble, and ride to work :D

Moral of the story - The DMV wants to see the sticker regardless of mileage ........

Just called the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Technical Compliance Section at (916) 657-6795 and got the same story.....I told them their website is misleading because the website makes a big deal out of whether the vehicle is NEW......and then goes on to define NEW as less than 7,500 miles........

From DMV Website:

"What You Need to Know Before Buying a Vehicle from Out-of-State

The Bottom Line

If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws in order to be registered here.

Aren't All Vehicles California Certified?

Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold to California residents or businesses. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-State) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. 50-State or California certified vehicles are made to be sold to California residents.

What Is Considered a New Vehicle?

California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state. If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California."

Therefore, there's an implicit message that if the vehicle has over 7,500 miles it is USED, not NEW, and therefore exempt from the requirement of physical verification of sticker presence.....she agreed with me......but it didn't change anything......I need to go back and show them the sticker :D:angry:

After reading that I'm a little suprised my 8 month old original Nevada XR650L with only 1200 miles was passed through so easily. It did not have the full complement of California emissions on it when new or when I turned in the Nevada title at the Normal Heights DMV. Good luck.

After reading that I'm a little suprised my 8 month old original Nevada XR650L with only 1200 miles was passed through so easily. It did not have the full complement of California emissions on it when new or when I turned in the Nevada title at the Normal Heights DMV. Good luck.

Yep, total B.S. and a real PITA.....flagging down a cop to sign off would be much easier.....or maybe an alternate DMV.....but I'll probably just bite the bullet and head back over to make sure I get it done....

See second page of the form in the link below (the part that's filled out by the DMV inspector)....it has a box under VIN/Engine number for "US Federal Certification Label Status".....there's also a box for "Emission Label Indicates" (US EPA and CA. Stds)....if they check "remarks" they don't process and hand the ball over to CHP

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg343.pdf

Chris, is that model bike not on the California approved list? I thought they only had to visually check bikes that were not on the "master" approved list.

Or is it all bikes that are purchased out of state?

I think my California sticker was on the front fender which didn't last a month, thanks to my unique riding style :unsure::D .

Chris, is that model bike not on the California approved list? I thought they only had to visually check bikes that were not on the "master" approved list.

I think my California sticker was on the front fender which didn't last a month, thanks to my unique riding style :unsure::angry: .

ALL Bikes purchased out of state require "vehicle verification" by DMV or peace officer.

The sticker is there.....CA approved.....saw it Sunday when I was wrestling the tank off to get at the tail light/brake switch and route my GPS hardwire.....

BTW, note to self (and everyone else).....don't be a dumb ass like me and decide to remove your gas tank after you JUST FILLED IT :D .....especially if it holds 7.4 gallons!!! :) ........what a dumb ass :D .......I won't make that mistake again :blink::angry::D .....should've drained some gas out before wrestling with the tank.....not an easy tank to remove when full (or empty)......

Was it registered to you as a Nevada resident and you brought it with you? Or were you already a California resident trying to import a bike? I think the intent is they are trying to keep residents from importing 49 state vehicles into the state. The wanted to do that with everybody but lost a court case when an out of state resident moved into the state and was denied a plate for their car.

I moved back to California in 2005 I bought the bike in June of 2006 from a dude that was living on a boat moored at Shelter Island. He and the bike were regetered residents of Nevada. I never gave it two thoughts about the CA DMV thing that we're talking about here. I bought the bike, took it to the DMV they checked all the stickers and stampings and then gave me a plate. The bike was 8 months old with 1200 miles. :D

You wouldn't believe all the trouble I've been through trying to get the Gas Gas registered, even as a red sticker bike. CARB has confirmed to the DMV that the bike is a competition vehicle and doesn't have/need a CARB sticker, but OK for a red sticker. However, DMV won't validate my VIN because Gas Gas uses a European style VIN that doesn't conform to CA's requirement.

The importer ships a conforming VIN plate to you once you purchase the bike, but the DMV won't let me mount it and then sign off on it - they say it needs to be done by Gas Gas, even though the MSO shows both VIN numbers. They know I'm not trying to pull a fast one and know the bike is OK but is still in this catch 22 situation.

I've thought about just sticking the new VIN plate on there anyway and trying to register it as a new bike from scratch since the conforming VIN isn't in their system, but then I'd have to pay the tax on it again. That sucks to have paid $500 in tax when I attempted to register it the first time and get nothing for it!!!

I've pretty much decided to register it at my wife's uncle's place in AZ.

When I bought my Husky I required the previous owner to get it plated first. He had replace the rear fender which is where the CARB sticker was located and the sticker tore in the process when he moved it to the new fender. When the fender was replaced the 2nd time, he saved the old one. The DMV was OK with him just showing them the "original" fender with the torn sticker.

Anyway, it seems that in the past year or so DMV and CARB have gotten much more strict about the whole sticker thing.

I think my California sticker was on the front fender which didn't last a month, thanks to my unique riding style :lol::lol: .

ALL Bikes purchased out of state require "vehicle verification" by DMV or peace officer.

The sticker is there.....CA approved.....saw it Sunday when I was wrestling the tank off to get at the tail light/brake switch and route my GPS hardwire.....

BTW, note to self (and everyone else).....don't be a dumb ass like me and decide to remove your gas tank after you JUST FILLED IT :( .....especially if it holds 7.4 gallons!!! :o ........what a dumb ass :lol: .......I won't make that mistake again ;):lol::D .....should've drained some gas out before wrestling with the tank.....not an easy tank to remove when full (or empty)......

Went to Oceanside DMV during lunch since it'as ~10 minutes from my office......things looked pretty promising at first.......no line in verification area....sweet! :) .....decided to just follow the KISS rule and roll the bike over with tank removed......so that's what I did.....parked in the shade and striped down (the bike not me :o:lol: ).......didn't take too long to remove everything since the tank was only ~1/3 full and I sprayed some silicone lube on the rollers last night.......VIN/Engine numbers verified AGAIN :good: .......CA. approved EPA sticker on frame under tank - verfified :good: .......then the bonus question, "Where's the Fed sticker?".......Huh? :o :tease: ......no Fed sticker to be found......we looked everywhere :(:lol:

Sooooo, what do you do when you have no FED sticker?.....more DMV forms :( ........Now I have to take yet another form (Reg 124) to the CHP tomorrow (11am appt - they require an appt.....couldn't take care of it today :( ) for "Application for Assigned VIN plate" because there's no FED sticker on the bike (even though the VIN number is clearly visible right on the side of the steering head, even though it was registered/street licensed in CO. with VIN and Engine number, and even though it has 10,400 miles on the odo)......then it'll be back to the DMV again to hopefully pick up my license plate...... WHAT A F***n' Hassle!!! :( .......Welcome to The Republic of Kalifornistan!!!

WHAT A F***n' Hassle!!! B) .......Welcome to The Republic of Kalifornistan!!!

Went to CHP office in Oceanside for my 11am appt.....CHP notes the VIN/Engine number and luckily DOES NOT ask me to show him the CA. Emissions sticker under the tank since that was already verified by DMV yesterday......then he says, "So why are you here?" B) .....so I show him the DMV Reg 124 form and tell him the DMV sent me over here because I don't have a Fed Sticker......He replied, "I don't think these bikes come with Fed Stickers......wait here"......comes back out ~10 minutes later with paperwork signed off, "you're good to go".......So I ask'em, "Did I have to come here in the first place" B) ......His reply, "NO"........so back over to the DMV I go.....wait ~30 minutes.....get to the window.....then, as I'm FINALLY clutching the plate in my hands, I tell the clerk, "Hey, you might want to let the Vehicle Verification folks know they sent me to the CHP for no reason today.....and I'm not too pleased about having to take MORE time off from work to make a trip that wasn't necessary so I could come here AGAIN today…..all of this could've been taken care of yesterday .......his reply, "We send ALL out of state bikes that are missing either the emissions sticker or the Fed sticker to the CHP....period…..the CHP then determines whether they care or not" ......I told him the DMV may get some feed back on that policy from the CHP because the CHP seemed sort of annoyed that I was sent over there.......the CHP's position was that the DMV should know who needs the Fed Sticker and who doesn't......and I'm DEFINITELY annoyed that I was sent over there :D

Anyway, long story short, I got my plate today.....finally :D

PS: Insult to injury.......my monthly sticker is Sept not Oct since I bought the bike in Sept.......so now I have to pay next years reg fees in 11 months not 12.......the DMV, they get ya coming and going :D:D

Update:

Ted got his plate today after a ton of BS at the DMV like Chris stated above. Glad you're both plated though, that's good news.

After reading your stories I'll definetely be buying my next bike in state. Thanks for bringing us along Chris.