Sign in to follow this  
RogerTOWM

What makes a good rider?

What makes a good rider? Is it someone who rides fast? Is it someone who doesn’t fall down? Is it someone who can jump further then everyone else? Is it someone who can talk more smack then the next guy? What are your requirements for a good rider?

What are your requirements for a good rider?

Street, dirt, or racing? :D

I don't know what I would demand of others, I only know what I ask of myself. I don't race, and my "dirt" is really just to support my street riding skills, so here's my opinion regarding what I require of myself on the street:

Judgment, reflex, and control. The only thing that matters for me is getting there in one piece. The motorcycle makes it's own fun.

Being able to pick up the pace is fun sometimes, but it's all relative. There are plenty of riders that I couldn't keep up with who are no longer with us.

The best rider is the guy, no matter what talent level, has the ability to say, "I don't think we should do this."

Just my opinion.

The best rider is the guy, no matter what talent level, has the ability to say, "I don't think we should do this."

Just my opinion.

I agree. The best rider isn't the fastest or the one who will tackle the most technical, difficult section of trail. The best rider is the one who can apply his skills in a logical and prudent manner and make good judgement calls.

the best rider needs to appreciate and respect the group's needs...

if this thread is attempt to minimize a certain riders skill, I would consider it a mistake.

if I'm off in left field, I apologize. I'll be the first one to jump on a smacktalker, and I think that's what this is really about...

"edit"- I just read the all balls thread-

we're not going to change hammers posts- I give up, personally- I've tried in PM, onthis forum and other forums... his spelling and punctuation won't improve, and he will brag about himself, the Honda, and whatever else... he has a dislike for ktms that borders on psychotic... I have moved on... may I suggest the "ignore" feature?

it does provide relief as long as some smartass doesn't start quoting posts...

My nomination for "The best rider" goes to Jeff Fredette. Not only does he have excellent skills on a woods bike, but he is dedicated to the sport of motorcycling, and a very nice person. :D He's my hero.

4-12-200881217PM-1.jpg

Wait- is this the guy telling me "sure, you can make up THAT!" Why, I think it was just yesterday.

Well I suppose you were eventually correct, I did make it up THAT.

:D <that emoticon is called "dance" but it sure looks like a nervous rider wiping the dust off his faceshield...

...He's my hero.

4-12-200881217PM-1.jpg

But he doesn't have a front wheel!! Now that's just showing off!! :cray:

:D

Wait- is this the guy telling me "sure, you can make up THAT!" Why, I think it was just yesterday.

:D <that emoticon is called "dance" but it sure looks like a nervous rider wiping the dust off his faceshield...

don't think I wasn't thinking about that as I posted... as point rider, I screwed up... the fact that you looped and another rider went around means I made bad decision...

I owe you both an apology... I won't actually apologize, but I owe you one

In the less politically correct days of my life, I had friends that would say:

Hey- you're free, white, and 21, you can make your own decision.

and while it was not a picnic, you are certainly not to blame for my decision to roll the throttle on and go for it.

But I appreciate the sentiment, and the apologetic thought, anyway. I have a sore back today- not falling, but from lifting and dragging the mighty KTM back on it's feet.

fn

In the less politically correct days of my life, I had friends that would say:

Hey- you're free, white, and 21, you can make your own decision.

and while it was not a picnic, you are certainly not to blame for my decision to roll the throttle on and go for it.

But I appreciate the sentiment, and the apologetic thought, anyway. I have a sore back today- not falling, but from lifting and dragging the mighty KTM back on it's feet.

fn

RACIST!!!

you say MIGHTY KTM, but you NEVER say MIGHTY DRZ!!!

hijack off

I agree. The best rider isn't the fastest or the one who will tackle the most technical, difficult section of trail. The best rider is the one who can apply his skills in a logical and prudent manner and make good judgement calls.

+1

Now that I am finally camped out in San Diego County I will have to unleash the mighty WRR! (all 250ccs of it)

I think a good rider is one with a nice mix of all the skills, and who knows their own limits and strives to ride safely without exceeding them. They also strive to improve on what they know.

Unforeseen events happen all the time and a good rider is one that possesses enough of a core skill set to deal with said unforeseen event and keep the rubber side down - or at least minimize the extent of a fall when they're riding over their head.

I know some crazy fast MX riders who wouldn't make it through an intermediate trials section, and likewise some trials guys who wouldn't dream of going for a double or triple jump on the track.

Similarly there great dirt riders who make the move to street riding and then do some amazingly stupid things on pavement, and some darn fast street guys who pale at the thought of riding even a gravel driveway.

Bikeslut, No I don’t want to start jumping on anybody. I just started thinking about what makes a good rider. It is about self-improvement for me.

I know that I’m a poor rider on the dirt. I still don’t know what I can and can’t do. I’m not very aggressive and have not found my limits yet.

I’ve been a street rider for many years. But I don’t race in the street either. I have avoided being run over and killed so far. From what I have seen of cage drivers that is quite an accomplishment. I try and anticipate what the cages on the road are trying to do, read traffic ahead of me as well as behind. Even in rush hour traffic on the 905 I try to never ride along side of a cage if I can help it.

I guess my question was more in as what makes a good trail rider.

Sandiegoland says “Judgment, reflex, and control.”

Strega mentioned judgment “I don't think we should do this” as well.

Dirt Dame says “One who can apply his skills in a logical and prudent manner and make good judgment calls.”

Bikeslut says “the best rider needs to appreciate and respect the group's needs.” Again I think this refers to judgment and making sound decisions.

Crawdaddy aggress with Strega and Dirt Dame. I’m not sure what Fake Name was saying. I guess you had to have been there. But I think it is something about skills and judgment.

Darylhunter says” I think a good rider is one with a nice mix of all the skills, and who knows their own limits and strives to ride safely without exceeding them. They also strive to improve on what they know.

Unforeseen events happen all the time and a good rider is one that possesses enough of a core skill set to deal with said unforeseen event and keep the rubber side down - or at least minimize the extent of a fall when they're riding over their head.”

It emerges there is a core agreement here. Apparently a good rider has good control of their bike (skills), good reflexes (body skills), and good judgment (makes good decisions). So for me to improve I need to gain better control of my bike, develop better body reflexes and start make sound decisions? Then I can become a “good rider”?

I will agree with the summation above and add a few things I feel are important. A good rider does not crash very often, does not hurt themselves, does not have equipment problems and doesn't get lost. Also they follow proper trail riding etiquette: No dangerous passes, no dogging rider in front of you and wait for the rider following at intersections. That's my 2 cents worth...

I think Daryl hit it closest. I would like to add that you could have all the good judgment in the world and still be a sucky rider. I think confidence has just as much to do with being a good rider as judgment does, but too much or too little of either and you are not there. I think it is a mixture of practice, proper form, confidence, judgment, and coordination (which includes natural abilities and learned abilities).

Then again being a good rider does not mean you are going to enjoy a particular ride any more than a rider that can barely navigate at a pitifully slow pace, he could just be having the time of his life. My goal; I try to enjoy each ride as much as I can without inhibiting anyone else’s riding enjoyment

My father in law always told me "Any ride where no one gets hurt and hopefully no one breaks anything is a good one" but especially the former part of that.

Good riders are the ones that can find fun in any ride while looking out for the people in his or her group.

Good riders are the ones that lead based on the lowest common denominator and try to find something fun for everyone.

Good riders are the ones who ride sweep and lie through their teeth saying encouraging things to a newbie even tho they might have been bored following them.

Good riders are the ones who make it look smooth and easy and set good examples.

:lol: <that emoticon is called "dance" but it sure looks like a nervous rider wiping the dust off his faceshield...

don't think I wasn't thinking about that as I posted... as point rider, I screwed up... the fact that you looped and another rider went around means I made bad decision...

I owe you both an apology... I won't actually apologize, but I owe you one

No appology needed. I would have liked to give it a go but with my bike and you guys overheating I thought it wiser to go around. After I change my coolant back over to the Evans I'd give it a try.

Back on the topic, First off I feel a good rider doesn't need to brag or show off. Unless you've got a number one plate and are getting paid to ride there's always someone better. For group riding, you're only as good as the worst rider in the pack and you should remember that by keeping the loop within their ability. But there's no fault in making it challenging as long as everyone understand it up front and are willing to help to get everyone through.

Figures, that as a "club" many people are mentioning the group dynamic and judgement...

On an mx track, only your sponsors, your owner and the AMA care about judgement...

So; we all try to find riders that are in our skill bracket or near to it, and they show judgement...

Another apology; I tend to tailgate riding sweep... A bad habit from racing days; if you can't pass, you stay close and keep out of the roost and dust (roger; look in members only to see what FN was talking about)

Another apology; I tend to tailgate riding sweep... A bad habit from racing days; if you can't pass, you stay close and keep out of the roost and dust

I actually preferred you riding right near my rear tire than 50 feet back, I could hear you and see you, and that is safer for me than turning my head 180 to see if you were still there. Everyone is responsible for the rider behind them, you made my job easy. I'm usually pretty clear about my intentions, so hopefully I didn't jam you up at all.

Re the topic: To elaborate a bit...

A good rider:

1) Good decision making skills, knows when to say 'no' for himself or the group he's with.

2) Safe, observant, courteous

3) Prepared for most situations (Tools/Safety Gear, etc)

There are people that I will not ride with because I believe they are unsafe or in over their heads. There are also people I choose to ride with because they fit the above criteria.

Just my $0.02

(roger; look in members only to see what FN was talking about)

Ouch, that has got to hurt! :lol:

I tend to tailgate too but not too close. I prefer the sweep to be closer to me or I get worried I have lost them. Not that the sweep is likely to crash following my slow butt but when they drop back more I do get more worried. I don't feel '"pushed" by them being behind me tho.

(roger; look in members only to see what FN was talking about)

Ouch, that has got to hurt! :lol:

Nope- actually didn't hurt ME a bit (_*_)

Actually it did- I did a "oh no" ...

And then a "I hope it won't be too expensive to fix" and then a "they won't want to play with me anymore"

I did not choose wisely...bad leader...bad rider

wow, very interesting post!

OK ill go ahead and guy the "that damn young kid..." perspective that I have, please dont hate me, I like you guys...

The best trail rider is the one that finishes with the biggest grin!!!!

Not to say that respect and understanding and knowing limits and bla bla bla dont factor in... but why do we ride??? well... ENTERTAINMENT!!! nothing more! if you get done with a ride and feel the same way you feel after a double shift at work, SELL YOUR BIKE and pick a hobby that makes you happy, thats what hobbies are for!

There is no need to spend your weekend exploring some new trail, or park, or mountain... its all for fun! to get out of the house, see something new, broaden your horizons, challenge yourself... if you never crash your not challenging yourself enough (not that thats a bad thing, as long as you still get joy and thrill out of it)..

We all know its not a race, if you get to the end of a ride first - who cares! the guy who had the most struggle and still came out smiling is the one who will have the best story to tell afterward!

/soapbox