SCHWINN

TEST RIDE KTM 690

The bike has 319 miles on it now. The bike is a KTM 690 SMC, the bike starts off the same as a super enduro but I wanted both in 1 bike. Andre at 3 BROS KTM in temecula helped me with this task. We took a ktm 450 sx front end and stuck it on the 690 a skid plate laced up some wheels and wala, a great supermoto bike with the 17s on it and flip to the 18 & 21 for offroad, now I know this bike isnt for everybody but it works for me. The bike has dunlop D606s on it and it did excellent in heavy sand and did all the hard sections well. I ran 12psi in rear and 16psi up front. With the fuel injection it gets a little getting used to, it hits like a large street bike and the delivery of power is really smooth. I am dropping 1 tooth on the front sprocket, redoing the map on the FI when my FMF power bomb header comes in next week. The suspension is set perfect for me, I am 6 ft 3 and 260 lbs and consider myself a seasoned offroader and street rider being 45 and racing dirt tracks in my younger years and started riding a street bike at 14 and never stopped riding since and no the 690 is no track bike, I have a Honda CRF 450 R for that :lol: . Remember: " It dont matter what brand or what size bike your riding as long as your having fun", Schwinn....unless you are sponsored :wub::lol::wub:

Glad you like it Steve. I'd bet that power hits hard and pulls like a jet on takeoff. I don't see the 525 in your sig, did you sell/trade it for the 690? Well have to ride again, but first I have to find my new bike....

I'm just pilot now :wub:

Glad you like it Steve. I'd bet that power hits hard and pulls like a jet on takeoff. I don't see the 525 in your sig, did you sell/trade it for the 690? Well have to ride again, but first I have to find my new bike....

I'm just pilot now :wub:

What?! What happened to your BRP?

Sounds like Schwinn may have found it for you......big bore thumper...FI....300lbs.....

Schwinn,

Thanks for the report. Good to hear the enduro handles the desert surfaces well. A 690 is of interest to me if I thought it would be usable riding on the pavement for any length of time. I am really waiting for the Adventure version with some kind of road wind protection. Would you ever consider riding from Ramona to Mission Valley on the 690?

Enjoy the ride

I'm confused. I thought KTM came out with the 690 "Enduro" in '08 patterned after the 690 "Baja" prototype that they've been racing (and that's what I'd assumed you bought, Steve) :lol:

It sounds like you bought a 690 SMC ("Supermoto") and modified it <_< It the 690 Enduro not out yet?Why the 450SX front end vs. a 525 or XC?

Schwinn,

Thanks for the report. Good to hear the enduro handles the desert surfaces well. A 690 is of interest to me if I thought it would be usable riding on the pavement for any length of time. I am really waiting for the Adventure version with some kind of road wind protection. Would you ever consider riding from Ramona to Mission Valley on the 690?

Enjoy the ride

I could answer that with a yes but why? Are there trails down there. If it is just street and twisty I will throw on the supermoto wheels or ride one of my street bikes. And you are right there is no wind protection. I ride it from escondido all the time to hit palomar twisties on the mountain.

I'm confused. I thought KTM came out with the 690 "Enduro" in '08 patterned after the 690 "Baja" prototype that they've been racing (and that's what I'd assumed you bought, Steve) :D

It sounds like you bought a 690 SMC ("Supermoto") and modified it :blink: It the 690 Enduro not out yet?Why the 450SX front end vs. a 525 or XC?

If you get a chance to see the smc 690 together with the super enduro you will see there is no difference. I wanted the sm wheels and sx cartridge type front end and I had to buy a skid plate. My 525 I bottomed out all the in glamis and everywhere else. The 690 I left the rear end alone and its fantastic, it looks like they finally came up with a prolink suspension, it looks like my crf 450 suspension in back.

Nice 690! I have tested my Honda VFR on Pinion Mtn also. The bike only has 47,000 miles on it. With a Battleaxe rear tire and a D220 front tire I was able to ride to the squeeze and only bottomed out once. The powerband was a hoot on the straightaways - but I almost lost it getting tank slap in the sand. The VFR often sees dirt at the end of a long street ride.

VFR in Coyote Canyon

Stream Crossing

Hondas Rule!

I think with a skid plate, plastic gas tank, new wheels with desert ITs, new suspension, radiator fans, new forks and swingarm, new handlebars, new footpegs, steering stabilizer, and better shocks that I could have a cool and unique adventure bike that could be converted back to street use just like Steve!VFR Review

Nice 690! I have tested my Honda VFR on Pinion Mtn also. The bike only has 47,000 miles on it. With a Battleaxe rear tire and a D220 front tire I was able to ride to the squeeze and only bottomed out once. The powerband was a hoot on the straightaways - but I almost lost it getting tank slap in the sand. The VFR often sees dirt at the end of a long street ride.

VFR in Coyote Canyon

Stream Crossing

Hondas Rule!

I think with a skid plate, plastic gas tank, new wheels with desert ITs, new suspension, radiator fans, new forks and swingarm, new handlebars, new footpegs, steering stabilizer, and better shocks that I could have a cool and unique adventure bike that could be converted back to street use just like Steve!VFR Review

:blink::D:D:D

"yes but why"

A few of us search for the Golden Fleece that would be one bike you can ride to the mountain, then ride the mountain (or desert) and ride home. Hauling in the truck or on the trailer does not always fit the spirit of the moment.

Enjoy your dual wheel sets

304922965_Go5Ap-M.jpg

A few of us search for the Golden Fleece that would be one bike you can ride to the mountain, then ride the mountain (or desert) and ride home. Hauling in the truck or on the trailer does not always fit the spirit of the moment.

Wait for it....

Schwinn,

Enjoy the ride

Bags - Aqualine just released a tank to increase the range of the 690.......

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.ph...p;postcount=111

Some folks have invested BIG money to make a nice ADV version:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.ph...amp;postcount=2

Crawdaddy,

Thanks for the update. Gaud, there seems to be a lot going on with that tank. As happy as I am to see a solution, a two gallon tank would have been more than enough! (five total) It looks like the tank would help protect the radiators. Maybe the stock plastic prettys it up some.

By the fall, one way or another, this will be the next ride. My mind is thinking of ways return the 990 to stock condition, pending a sale.

C/D, do you want to start a 690 Club? I know how you like the "Magic" button.

C/D, do you want to start a 690 Club? I know how you like the "Magic" button.

Well, yes and no........I'd love to join the 690 club with you, Schwinn and (?)......but I can't afford it.......everytime I start lusting after one of those bikes I remember that I have one of only 22 ADV thumper 620s imported into the states in 1998.......and I like my big/old/scratched/heavy/fuel laden/620........and most importantly, it's fully paid off...........so no, I'll pass (for now) :)<_<B)

100_0566.jpg

C/D,

Looks sharp, (For now.)

The 990 just not letting you take on as gnarly stuff as you'd like Bagstr? You take that things places where I never thought to see one <_<

I like Schwinns idea too because I think I am becoming addicted to the supermoto thing when it comes to entertainment on pavement. And while my bike claps out at around 80 which is plenty I am sure the 690 has more top end. Standard riding position and being able to smoke sportbikes in the corners if you wanna? sure!

I just read an article in super moto racer magazine where they did a 7 bike dual sport test and a lot of guys favorite was a KTM 530 EXC with supermoto wheels and some light mods. The only complaint they had was the dirt bike maintenance intervals.

It sure is nice to have the mothership around on long dual sport rides B) but carrying all that fuel sucks for Crawdaddy

C/D,

Looks sharp, (For now.)

Well :) .....hmmmmm B) ......it did look sharp when that photo was taken <_< ..........~6K miles and a few biffs later it's not quite as clean looking.......but it's still a blast to ride :)

I dont like how KTM calls it a 690 when its really only 654cc's

Same way they call a 510cc bike a 520/525/530 <_<B):)

"The 990 just not letting you take on as gnarly stuff as you'd like Bagstr? You take that things places where I never thought to see one "

Jaynen

What can I say? I drank the kool aid and thought I could be Master of the Universe. The bike is killer on the pavement (with street tires), and reasonable two track. As my explorations in the Anza continue, the multiple pick ups put my back at risk. Plus, I would join in more SDAR Adventures with a smaller ride, which would cause less alarm when seen on the trail. Funny conversation out near Vista del Malpai, "Where did you come from, Alaska??" That about sums it up. Shock and Awe.

Schwinn has a good setup going, a good compromise. A little up on weight, no cooling issues, long maintenance intervals, 150lbs less than the 990.

True. You could go the 690 Enduro route I think I saw one at North County Yamaha along with a SMR, In fact I think I saw an Enduro that had the second set of wheels but I am not positive.

As a note I did see some stuff over on ADV rider complaining about the 690's low spread on the gears and its rather picky on what RPM's it prefers.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread....1742&page=8

Sounds like the Husq TE610 is a little better prepared for the extremes gear wise. I know tlking6 has one