2Wheels

Off-Road boots

I’m looking to get a new pair of boots. I found this website http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/Gaer...orer%20Boot.htm that recommends the SIDI Discovery or the Gaerne Explorer.

It looks like the Gaerne SG10 or the Alpinestar Tech10 would offer better protection. What's the trade off between a MX boot and a trail boot? Is it comfort vs protection?

Does anyone have any thoughts on off-road boots? Is there a store in San Diego that carries the SIDI Discoveries or the Gaerne Explorers where I could try them on?

I can comment on the Alpinestars. Everything above a Tech 6 has a sub-bootie inside the boot. I bought the 6's because I thought that would be too much to get used to for me.

I guess I get conservative. I went with Answer MX boots for the price. They fit good and seem to wear well for the past year, only about $85.00 ver $400 for some.I think Cycle Gear & Motoworld both in El Cajon carry a good selection of boots to try and both have web sites for online purchases.I guess I can affort it with my savings, thats my two cents worth. :D

I picked up some AlpineStars at MotoWorld in El Cajon recently. They have some great deals on '06 models they need to move out.

Had a chance to test them out a couple of weeks ago when I ate some pothole and my 650 landed on me -- hot exhaust pipe to leg. It took me a few minutes to get free, but neither I nor the boots showed any wear from the experience. I'm sold! :D

K

Just received a pair of Combat Touring boots from Aerostich. They are made by Sidi for Aerostich of very nice full grain leather. I like them because they don't have any plastic on them and no racer boy graphics. They're just black leather motocross boots made of very nice material. Looking forward to getting them broken in and dirty. From the looks of them, they'll outlast me.

They make a shorter version called Combat Lights.

Andy

I went with a pair of THOR MX boots. They were about $150 @ Cycle Parts West (805 & El Cajon). The Alpinstars were running over $400 (I decided I'd better not try those on), Fox @ about $200.

These are my 1st pair of riding boots, so I don't have anything to compare them to, but they are comfortable, light weight, super tuff, the price seemed reasonable, and chicks dig them! Seriously though, when it comes to footwear, I highly recommend shopping the old fashioned way. Go to a shop and start trying on some pairs. That way you can be sure of getting something that will keep your dogs from barking on those long rides. Happy hunting!

I’m looking to get a new pair of boots.  I found this website http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/Gaer...orer%20Boot.htm that recommends the SIDI Discovery or the Gaerne Explorer. 

It looks like the Gaerne SG10 or the Alpinestar Tech10 would offer better protection.  What's the trade off between a MX boot and a trail boot?  Is it comfort vs protection? 

Does anyone have any thoughts on off-road boots?  Is there a store in San Diego that carries the SIDI Discoveries or the Gaerne Explorers where I could try them on?

2Wheels

The Explorer is the next boot on my list of gear to get. (as soon as we find a local dealer to try them on)

You will find that the Motocross boots are stiffer and have less ankle movement than a DS boot. I have a pair of Garene motocross boots from the Eighties (cough :D cough) and after twenty five years of service, I still prefer them to a newer pair of AXO MX boots. I do like more leather and less molded plastic and gaphics just like Woodys3B does. Very pleased with my last purchase of some SIDI road boots with Symptax. They are very plain black leather boots, with no real shin protection for offroad though and were comfy right out of the box. Also the weight of a DS boot is less than MX boot and you will be able to walk around somewhat as opposed to hobbling around in MX boots when not riding. You may also be interested in a trials type boots too. They offer yet more flexablity and still a bit of protection.....

Spyder

Gaerne +2

SIDI+1

Take care of your feet! They'll be with you a long long time..... :D

2weels,

the shop moved to a new location 7843 Clairmont Mesa Blvd and they do not have a good boot selection. Check CycleGear in San Diego, El Cajon, or San Marcos.

Later... :D

I called up Gaerne USA to find out what retailers carry their Explorer Boots. Bad news - there are no retailers that carry them within 150 miles of San Diego. Gaerne USA (located in Valencia, CA which is in the northern part of L.A county) doesn't even have them in stock.

After being discouraged by the unavailability of the Gaerne Explorers, I went to CycleGear in El Cajon and they were having a close out sale on last year's models. I tried on a pair of O'Neal Element boots. They fit my feet and they fit my wallet.

I have been trying to get "geared up" also. I ordered some landing zone shin and knee guards from rockgardn but they don't fit inside my Oneal boots. I had planned on wearing them under the pants, outside the boots. They have a strap that goes around your thigh, and I can't pull the pants up high enough to put on the shin guards. Long story short I havn't figured out how to dress myself yet, on top of that I am too dense to keep it to myself.

How do the rest of you deal with shinguards? Inside the boot or outside the boot? Shin and knee guards over the pants or under the pants? Pants outside the boots or inside the boots? Ken

My boot covers most of my shin, no guard required! Knees are open for injury. Ask Kaw'ee. :ph34r:

I wear my knee/shin guards inside of my Thor Quandrants. The pants can fit over the top of my knee, allowing me to lend my knee pads to somebody :ph34r: if they need them. The Thors SUCK for hiking, however, so I may need some other boots for "adventures". I have a unhealed patella fracture, so knee pads are not really an option until I have it fixed.

I got the Icon Trail Armor boot and will say that in all my year of riding, it is my favorite boot by far! Feels like your wearing a running shoe with the protection kevlar! :unsure:

I got these for dual sporting since i might be going into restaraunts and hiking and such and didnt want to feel like a robot. I am most happy with them for this purpose, but might go to a FULL boot for strictly offroad riding!

They are only a 3/4 boot so they dont offer high shin protection.

This is what they look like, bought mine at FBC and they were around $110-130:

Posted Image

December '07 update: I've been through a pair of cheap boots which lasted about six months before they started falling apart. They were O'Neal Elements. I'm using Alpinestar Tech 7's now. They're holding up pretty well, but they took about 6 months just to break in.

I’m looking to get a new pair of boots. I found this website http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/Gaer...orer%20Boot.htm that recommends the SIDI Discovery or the Gaerne Explorer.

It looks like the Gaerne SG10 or the Alpinestar Tech10 would offer better protection. What's the trade off between a MX boot and a trail boot? Is it comfort vs protection?

Does anyone have any thoughts on off-road boots? Is there a store in San Diego that carries the SIDI Discoveries or the Gaerne Explorers where I could try them on?

I've had a pair of the SIDI Crossfires (or whatever they used to be called) for about three or four years now......no break-in period due to ankle flex system which I really like.....very comfy.......they're starting to fall apart in a few places now (stitching/sole) but they can be repaired.......soles are replaceable.......I've been pretty tough on'em.......I like'em......I think I paid around mid $300's for'em why back when.....

SIDI boots

I wasn't able to try on the SIDI Discoveries before I bought them online. I did find alot of reviews about sizing, and I went with what my current boot size is. The boots showed up, and fit as advertised. So for what it's worth, the SIDI boots seem to be right on for the sizes.

I was pretty horny for the Crossfires myself, especially after I tried them on - SA-WEEEET fit! But then I talked to a couple of people who said the new models come fromt the factory with a bag of parts because they tend to break a lot :lol: Not to mention that those characters at Motoworld have put a monopoly on the local market and are charging retail price ($425 :lol: )

I ordered the new SG10s today from my pals at Cycle Gear :lol:

I have been very happy with my Sidi Force Flex boots. :lol: Ken

Yep....that's the model I have, not Crossfire......

I was pretty horny for the Crossfires myself, especially after I tried them on - SA-WEEEET fit! But then I talked to a couple of people who said the new models come fromt the factory with a bag of parts because they tend to break a lot :lol: Not to mention that those characters at Motoworld have put a monopoly on the local market and are charging retail price ($425 :lol: )

I ordered the new SG10s today from my pals at Cycle Gear :lol:

425 for Crossfires is pretty much the norm across the board, even from mail order. SG10s are a good sturdy boot. I wear a set from time to time, but it's a little too much boot for me. They are tall and sort of bulky, so I don't get good feel of the controls with them and the calf protector tends to tear up some of the side panel work on my precious bikes. They seem to be quite durable, the buckles work good, they pivot good right out of the box and clean up really nicely. It took quite a few rides to get the ankle area to break in and quit pinching my flimsy little ankles though. B) Since your'e not a petite li'l guy, you will probably like them alot. I see alot of riders at the track wearing them. Overall, I like 'em better than my Alpinestar Tech 6 boots.

I have been very happy with my Sidi Force Flex boots. :lol: Ken

I've heard good things about the support of the Force Flex. How stiff are they? I think a better pair of boots would have kept me out of the hospital and still riding. I was using Alpinstars Tech-4's and they folded up too easily. I can take them by and bend the toe up to the shin by hand - exactly what caused my injury. I'm definitely in the market for some new boots and need some that will resist dorsiflexion (toe to shin).

Anybody else have any good suggestions? I'm leaning right now towards the Tech-10's, since they are an "exoskeleton" boot and have the internal ankle guard too.

Thanks!