Rjg967

Sleeping bag or blanket?

With the upcoming adventure rally in Julian, rather than be a princess and bring my camper I was thinking of Moto camping. I have a tent already, and all the other goodies, and plenty of sleeping bags but none of which are very compact.

With the 3000 options available online, it's hard to get an idea of what is actually decent without spending an entire paycheck.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Pfa

20220612_190008.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rjg967 said:

With the upcoming adventure rally in Julian, rather than be a princess and bring my camper I was thinking of Moto camping. I have a tent already, and all the other goodies, and plenty of sleeping bags but none of which are very compact.

With the 3000 options available online, it's hard to get an idea of what is actually decent without spending an entire paycheck.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Pfa

20220612_190008.jpg

Which Rally in Julian?

Big temperature difference between proper Julian at 4,226 ft elevation and down along the S2 / Stagecoach Campground at 2,320 ft

This will be the 5th year at that event for our team, I have an REI Half dome, works perfect for most camping situations. I also camped in it up to central Oregon and back, and many other trips. If ever has an issue, walk it in to REI, walk out with a new replacement one. Though I have yet to have issues with the REI tents. 

the key is having a tent that has a fly that goes to the ground, or close to it, this will help keep your heat in. Pair a good tent with a nice mat that has some decent R value to keep the ground from stealing body heat, like the REI self inflating “Camp Bed” and your sleeping cozy all night. 

REI is a big store, some people get all fussy about this and that, but at the end of the day I just want to buy supported products. REI supports customers, this is well reviewed, buy with confidence. 

The half dome packs on the bike well.

Photo: 2019 - Williamson River USFS camp Ground, Chiloquin, OR

NDJ_4685.thumb.jpg.4c2958577e3c9e93dbcb8abf21938e09.jpg

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 2

So neither of those last posts answered your question.

Blankets pack small but need to be large enough to cocoon yourself in to keep in warmth if you get into cold weather.

I use a down bag rated for 20Deg, it works down to about mid 30's and packs very small, it is well suited for most of the seasonal camping i do having using it into the teens where I froze my ass off, bag not warm enough, you can use a liner to add 10Deg of warmth and those pack small as well.

If you looking at mostly summer camping the blanket might be the ticket, winter I would go with a quality down bag, you can find them on clearance usually for a decent price, waterproof is the best way to go and I think these days they have a synthetic down that works really well I just don't know.

Determine how much you want to spend, then that will dictate what you can get yourself into. If able try the bags at REI or such some are deceptively small and hard to move in while sleeping, if you toss around that is a consideration.

You wont have that issue with a blanket, like shutterrev said the base layer (pad) is critical for comfort and warmth.

• Like 1

@DSM8 I guess I missed the title, and got focused on: "I have a tent already, and all the other goodies, and plenty of sleeping bags but none of which are very compact.

With the 3000 options available online, it's hard to get an idea of what is actually decent without spending an entire paycheck." - figured all of the above needed options for, my bad 

Edited by shutterrev

For sleeping bags I have a super packable 15 Degree Mtn. Hardwear bag, I sleep hot so I can get away with it most places. I've had it for 10+ years now, it's still going because I use a liner.

• Like 1

Not packable at all, but I can also reccomend the Selk Bag haha... 

Circa ~Winter 2011 Northwestern AFG.
Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.4006812724e3ca6be9282a6d2911a93c.jpg

Semper Gumby 

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Different gear for different missions.

Shelter Valley low for Friday & Sat is 55 - if you want to go KLR cheap, bring an existing blanket!

If your current sleeping bags are too bulky consider 2 options:

1) Compression Sack down. A great option to have for a variety if gear types and can seriously shrink down your synthetic bag volume.

2) a Down bag. Historically I’ve avoided down due to less potential weather resistance but recently bought a 15* down bag with gortex shell. 

For any bag:

First identify where you will use the bag and what temps YOU need to keep warm - everybody is different.

Second identify budget

Third be realistic about your body type and what cut / size of bag will fit you. 

REI has a great return policy to see if the bag works AND fits you.

• Like 1

For the last 3 years I’ve been running a goose down 30* mummy. I use it in the desert and in the Colorado high country. I almost always zip it open and drape it over me as a blanket, with my (always cold) feet in the foot box. It’s a wonderful blanket with a huge temp range as I can easily kick a leg out or arm or more. Easy to roll over and get out to pee. 
When on rare occasion it gets too cold, I just zip it up and close the hood tight around my head and neck, like ‘normal’. 
packs down tiny in a compression sack. Works for temps down to freezing. And below if I put on some of my clothing. 
sell or donate most of your bags. Get out the visa and buy a quality $350 bag and a small compression sack. Done. 

or come over and look at a couple I have. I’d probably make you a sweet deal on one if you wanted. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shutterrev said:

Not packable at all, but I can also reccomend the Selk Bag haha... 

Circa ~Winter 2011 Northwestern AFG.
Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.4006812724e3ca6be9282a6d2911a93c.jpg

Semper Gumby 

That would match my bike very well though! Lol

• Like 1

Thank you all, now I got things to look up! I'm going to do a couple trial runs overnight to test out what I need and don't need, I am a minimalist at heart but with an anxiety driven addiction to overpacking. Lol

At 6'4, 270 lb, I'm well aware most camping gear doesn't quite fit right, luckily I'm accustomed to it. I pretty much have to sleep diagonally in my two person tent.

Despite being an outdoorsy kind of guy, eventually never set foot in an REI. I think it's about time

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rjg967 said:

Thank you all, now I got things to look up! I'm going to do a couple trial runs overnight to test out what I need and don't need, I am a minimalist at heart but with an anxiety driven addiction to overpacking. Lol

At 6'4, 270 lb, I'm well aware most camping gear doesn't quite fit right, luckily I'm accustomed to it. I pretty much have to sleep diagonally in my two person tent.

Despite being an outdoorsy kind of guy, eventually never set foot in an REI. I think it's about time

Being a big guy, check out Nemo - allegedly also good for side sleepers

https://www.rei.com/product/163032/nemo-disco-15-sleeping-bag-mens

• Like 1

@Rjg967 also consider if you ride your bike vs haul your trailer you’ll be saving gas money. Every night camped vs hoteling on a trip / BDR also saves money.

Money to be spent on gucci gear!

With a reliable KLR you only need to buy gas and tires

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

With a reliable KLR you only need to buy gas and tires

And foot peg bolts.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, tntmo said:

And foot peg bolts.

Kawasaki uses its hardest metal on the lifelong piston and valves

Peg bolts can be sacrificed 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, tntmo said:

And foot peg bolts.

Lol, solved that when I went with lowered foot peg mounts, all new hardware. 

Biggest issue with my bike is the IMS extended shift lever stripped the splines on the shaft.

I believe your bike has had grade 8 peg bolts since 2008 when I sheared the RHS peg bolts off in the middle of Death Valley.

Didn't want to go home early so I just rode the next 2 days with one peg and used the right side passenger peg. Really would have sucked if I wasn't too busy having a great time.

image.thumb.png.744e5e06759fbf0dedb8b73de2ab8f34.png

image.thumb.png.10e326d21c5e92a09e73106f06cf10ee.png

Good luck with the shifter haha. I was never able to confirm whether the shift shaft could be replaced without a full rebuild BTW. It seems like you can pull it out from the RHS but I never found anyone online who explicitly said they did it, and just kept kicking the can down the road.

Back on topic, I agree with shutterrev about REI being a good value option with fantastic support. I still have the REI mummy bag that your bike lugged around since 2007. They also have blanket/quilt options that I'm just now starting to get into. If you're a side-sleeper or thrash around in your sleep a quilt is probably better unless you tend to sleep really cold. If you do start buying things at REI I recommend signing up to their membership program. Also, if you can wait, their big yearly sale starts in May I believe. Buen suerte!

Edited by bfar33
  • Like 1

That's golden about losing the foot peg in Death Valley, the reason I mentioned it is because one of our group did the exact same thing during the Noob's Rally!  

On many bikes you can remove the shift shaft from the right hand side after removing the clutch and assorted items.  Not all bikes are set up like that, I don't thing I have messed with a KLR transmission but I'm available to take a look if you want.

And to the topic of this thread, definitely see about the REI "parking lot sale" if they still do that.  My wife picked up so much good stuff at the one she went to about ten years ago that I still haven't even used some of it...but we obviously needed it!  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rjg967 said:

Lol, solved that when I went with lowered foot peg mounts, all new hardware. 

Biggest issue with my bike is the IMS extended shift lever stripped the splines on the shaft.

Okay maybe shift shaft splines can be sacrificed too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bfar33 said:

I believe your bike has had grade 8 peg bolts since 2008 when I sheared the RHS peg bolts off in the middle of Death Valley.

Didn't want to go home early so I just rode the next 2 days with one peg and used the right side passenger peg. Really would have sucked if I wasn't too busy having a great time.

image.thumb.png.744e5e06759fbf0dedb8b73de2ab8f34.png

image.thumb.png.10e326d21c5e92a09e73106f06cf10ee.png

Good luck with the shifter haha. I was never able to confirm whether the shift shaft could be replaced without a full rebuild BTW. It seems like you can pull it out from the RHS but I never found anyone online who explicitly said they did it, and just kept kicking the can down the road.

Back on topic, I agree with shutterrev about REI being a good value option with fantastic support. I still have the REI mummy bag that your bike lugged around since 2007. They also have blanket/quilt options that I'm just now starting to get into. If you're a side-sleeper or thrash around in your sleep a quilt is probably better unless you tend to sleep really cold. If you do start buying things at REI I recommend signing up to their membership program. Also, if you can wait, their big yearly sale starts in May I believe. Buen suerte!

H O L E Y  S H * T

the @tntmo KLR Prophecy is Real !!!

paging @PaulyPickles paging @PaulyPickles !!!

• Haha 1

@bfar33 where in Death Valley did it break?  

——— kind of looks like east of teakettle towards Hunter Mtn but that pic could be from Anywhere in DV

@Rjg967 some guys carry the small emergency bivy’s in their medical kits. I recommend an emergency blanket for a first aid kit (warmth in cold and shade in heat)

• Like 1

40mph event took place somewhere on Butte Valley Rd just past this beautiful kaleidoscope mountain. Had just taken Coyote Canyon from Baker ranch (before it burned down), past the Geologist cabin.

image.thumb.png.7088574e96ca593a5966af519bc044c9.png

Agree with bringing the emergency blanket. I usually bring one in case I'm caught in unexpectedly low temps and it lets you push a little closer to the edge with bringing a lighter/warmer bag to save weight/space.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bfar33 said:

40mph event took place somewhere on Butte Valley Rd just past this beautiful kaleidoscope mountain. Had just taken Coyote Canyon from Baker ranch (before it burned down), past the Geologist cabin.

image.thumb.png.7088574e96ca593a5966af519bc044c9.png

Agree with bringing the emergency blanket. I usually bring one in case I'm caught in unexpectedly low temps and it lets you push a little closer to the edge with bringing a lighter/warmer bag to save weight/space.

So funny enough, right after I put the lower foot tank mounts, I put all new hardware mounting it to the frame with threaded inserts. I was coming down Black mountain in Ramona a little bit hot and went down. It ripped the mount off of the frame. I used zip ties to hold it back on the frame until I got down the mountain in perpetual attack mode with my left foot forward. Lol

As for the shift shaft, I ended up drilling all the way through the shaft and the new tusk shift lever and put a spring pin in there. Works great for about a year, until my heavy-footed friend loosened it up, and just on Sunday it finally gave. Luckily I carry cotter pins with me that got me back.

I'm going to have to see if I can do that without splitting the cases, I don't want to split the cases until I have bearings, shift forks, and the 705 kit ready to go. Also thinking of doing stage 2 cams.

Or I might solve this and put a Ninja 650 motor in there. Lol

• Like 2