Packed up the truck and trailer Friday night around 9 pm with a bud and headed North.  I wasn't quite sure where I was headed, but eventually, somewhere along hiway 14 would be good.  It was raining hard as we cruised into Lancaster around midnight so we thought we should start looking for a place to pirate camp, but we found some very strange parking lot along the the Fairgrounds that had a bunch of campers in it, so we pulled in to call it a night.  A couple of cold ones and then some shuteye.  We awoke in the rain before sunrise and only thought about coffee, breakfast and how the trails wouldn't be dusty... all good things to look forward to with motos in the trailer.  Headed north with the full moon setting to the west and proceeded through Red Rock Canyon.  After exiting the canyon headed North, we began to look for dirt roads that would head out to the west.  We found some.

IMG_3529.jpg

Luck was on our side as we began our 8 mile dirt road trek within a couple days of it having been graded, so no washboard and I didn't have to mess with deflators, but did need to navigate some slimy puddles on occasion though.  The place is spectacular!!  2 acre campsites, nearest neighbor campsite is about a quarter mile away, it is free, and each one has a massive stone fire pit just shouting out the need for a campfire to cook and then then relax around late into the night.  It was a cold wind upon arrival, but the skies were clear, Nice!

IMG_3531.JPG

I had posted earlier that I wanted to wander in a few directions, and that is just what we did.

West was fantastic single track along steep ridges and ravines, not a lot of miles, but some super fun stuff, with snow as a backdrop.

IMG_3533.JPG 

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 8.20.38 PM.png

The second loop was North:  Fast open jeep roads, stream crossings without being able to see the bottom - cross fingers - youza!  then to the high country through some mucky stuff, snow, whoops with puddles behind the whoops, all the way to the Cabin.  I really nice outing and a return at night with headlights.

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 8.23.16 PM.pngIMG_3567.JPG

The Sunday easterly loop took us back into Red Rock Canyon.  The geology was spectacular and the terrain was rocky and fun.  Dancing with the bike - oh so fun.  We ended up at the Tunnel (Schmidt).  Did a walk through like a good tourist, and glad I did, great view after you pop out the .5 mile tunnel (if you are tall, watch your head if you go through - flashlight needed!!)

IMG_3551.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 8.27.39 PM.png

A Great Trip!!  3 super loops!!  One West, One North, One East. Good riding, Good folks, and New terrain for New Adventures.  

Full Moon in the Desert - Mars and Venus were also putting on a show in the early evening, and Jupiter showed up later, Milky Way seemed to scream out to be recognized. Just what I expect from these types of adventures in desolate areas, nice!. 

IMG_3559.JPG

Headed to the Valley Floor below, looks fast, nice!

IMG_3556.JPG

Views from the Campsite were incredible, cool winds, warm sun, nice!

IMG_3539.JPG

Gotta like it.  If you haven't been there yet, plan to go!  Cheers. 

Looks like a ton of fun.

Nice report need to check out area my uncle just bought some "offroad" property west of 14 and north of 138 i need to make it out too soon. Might need to reference your tracks

Great write-up and pics!  :D Thanks for sharing your adventure!  :thumbsup_anim:

What the Heck?  Found new area, What is that about?  good for you breaking new ground.

Bags

:good:

Very nice. Not far from my favorite stomping grounds. Did you attack any of the hillclimbs in Jawbone?