So I tried to go for a ride today. The 950 wasn't having it. 10 miles in it started getting hot and would not cool down. Finally had to bail. Guessing a stuck thermostat. Sorry guys! We ended up going out Otay and to Brown Field before turning back east. After riding back to Marron Vly I decided to head home . We had stopped at the hill up and over to Barrett Cafe. I thought the climb would kill it. I am guessing I only did 15-20 miles of dirt or so. After tons of research WOF ADV ect.. Couple of upgrades needed, some replacement of 10yr old parts. Bout $300. The 950 will be back soon.

IMGP0001.JPG

KIMG0099.jpeg

Look into upgraded waterpump shaft from cj designs while in there,

Yeah, the water pump goes out religiously after 10k miles of service life on these.

already on the list, I am all in with that and upgraded fan thermo switch, new thermostat, BDCW aux fan, new cap flush and purge. New rad guards next. Just bad timing

I'd go this route....

http://www.partsgiant.com/p327323-moose-radiator-hose-kit?m=517891&gclid=CjwKEAiAu6DBBRDDr6-e_6698E0SJACvuxnyIlrZz7jinaXu43Hw49IKWMh1xjYDJe4gxOzwarMf_BoC-Zvw_wcB

these eliminate the thermostat all together, which really isn't needed unless you are riding in cold climates.

I run one on my 530 EXC and it was / is worth every penny.

Next time I service my 950 radiator, I'll be installing one of these kits.

It gets in the 20ies here, Ramona too. I will leave the thermo in. Hose kit will have to wait. I did put that kit on the 520 I sold

Carguy, Dhillr and the rest of us met in RSD and headed east. Up Otay Truck Trail then down to the border road. Border patrol was heavy and very easy to deal with. Carguy made contact with them as we progressed and after he bailed, I took over. "Be safe", "I'll radio ahead for ya so everyone knows you're out here" were the responses.

Great group and perfect riding day.

DSCN2674

View west from OTT

DSCN2676

Looking S into MEX

DSCN2681

East through the hills

DSCN2686

Border fence and the freeway on the MEX side

DSCN2685

Train tunnel into MEX east of Tecate

DSCN2692

Looking North

DSCN2691

Coming back along Hwy 94

DSCN2698

DSCN2700

I completely missed that Carguy started a report so could a mod please move this into his?

Thx

I was at that same tunnel Saturday midday on the American side and leaned over the gate that blocks the tunnel to read the sign, it states being on the tracks is a no no. I live out there and don't know of anyone watching the tracks except the border patrol. And they were pushy Saturday! Its none of their business where I'm going or where I've been.

22 minutes ago, Uncle Champ said:

Its none of their business where I'm going or where I've been.

To be fair- if I illegally cross the border into Mexico and then illegally return (like in the tunnel), then it IS their business.

I've walked into the tunnel without a soul around and by the time I returned to the bikes there was an officer waiting for me. Completely professional, asked only if I'd crossed and carried anything back, then left us alone.

I have found communication is the key. There have been some dual sporters doing things along the border they should not, it gives us all a bad name. I just stop and tell them where I am going and never seem to have a issue. Just say hello, I am going to be riding through your zone let the others know. I am going to here. It is their job to protect our border.

9 hours ago, ThumperBob said:

Just curious. It the rail road no longer concidered trespassing?

The tracks/trestle are pretty clear. The tracks we rode on were 10? miles east of there. No signs anywhere and mounds of dirt over them in places to cross 'em. If anyone has current info on it, please post. 

you asked for info....369g. (a) Any person who rides, drives, or propels any vehicle upon and along the track of any railroad through or over its private right-of-way, without the authorization of its superintendent or other officer in charge thereof, is guilty of a misdemeanor. (b) Any person who rides, drives, or propels any vehicle upon and along the track of any railline owned or operated by a county transportation commission or transportation authority without the authorization of the commission or authority is guilty of a misdemeanor.

dont worry they probly dont have your lic plate #

Good info - thx!  I knew about the trestles further out being off limits but didn't know it extended as far as it did. Deleted plate pic as it wasn't my bike.

Emailed the railroad to get their current stance as there are plenty of signs of use by others (dirt piled for crossing it regularly) to access private homes in the area.

Learn something new every day.

Well I tore down the 950 today and pending more test I think I have a blown head gasket. I found engine ice(coolant) in the oil. ARRRRG!!!!!:angry:

21 minutes ago, carguy said:

Well I tore down the 950 today and pending more test I think I have a blown head gasket. I found engine ice(coolant) in the oil. ARRRRG!!!!!:angry:

Hold on cowboy. 

Most likely waterpump failure. 

Yup waterpump seal failure very common, hence y i suggested cj upgrade kit

I don't dig my spurs in until I know, The system is holding 15psi. There may have been some seepage in the past, but I don't think the head gasket or waterpump has failed. I replaced the waterpump just less than 10k ago, Yes I read your post. I will inspect it and/or replace. I want the reason for the sudden high temps. The plan includes several upgrades. I only have 36k miles on it.

Hey it's Mike with the rally 690. It was a great ride. Steven on the 800gsa dropped his bike in some deep sand out east and had a sticking throttle so we stopped on the way back to get the dirt out.

Had a blast riding with everyone. I'm always down for more rides. 

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG

Waaay cool, original thought correct. 210 degrees thermostat barely open, 220 barely open. So if you don't eliminate it completely replace every 10yrs or so

thrmo.jpeg