Dan Diego

Friday street ride: S1 & S2 loop: Join me?

Enjoying some goooooood BBQ in Jacumba. Jay's!

image.jpeg

Oh, man, What a great ride! Even if it was all non-ADV pavement. 

I could not have asked for a better group of guys to accompany me on my last ride for 3-6 months.  Bob, Ken and Devin are fun to be with and all excellent riders. There was a variety of bikes: Two orange ones, a big HD and a shiny KLR. So here's the RR:

We met at the Lake Jennings exit at 0730....and were eating at Major's in Pine Valley less than 20 minutes later! That's so SDAR...

We continued on to Sunrise Highway and it was just fantastic. Brisk and smelling of fresh pine. No traffic at all.  We stopped at the Kumeyaay glider overlook where a lady admiring the spectacular view snapped our photo...a few of them, actually.

We reached the Julian turn-off and went left to Lake Cuyamaca, turning off at Engineers Road and riding up into the hills. I hope the fellas enjoyed that route as it's one of my favorites. Reaching Julian Road/78, we turned left and went to Winola where we rode Winola Road to the 78 at the Banner Grade.  

Up until then, the temperatures were in the 70's.  It got into the 80's on the 78 then hit 90 at Scissors Crossing. Two of our riders put on their cooling vests, dripping with ice water. I was envious that I only had heated grips...

The desert was beautiful, as always. My temp gauge only hit 99 degrees; Bob's hit 100.  But that was as hot as it got and it felt nice while we were moving.

We stopped at the Butterfield Campground to see Duane "Tree" Swainston's memorial. Ken washed the plaque and we spoke a few words about what a truly great guy Tree was.

A little while later I observed Ken holding his phone in an odd manner. I'd specifically stated that there would be no Pokemon Go activities during this ride. Apparently Ken couldn't resist capturing the most elusive of Pokemons, the Kug-E-Mon!  ? Good going, Ken! ?

We hustled out of there to the Chevron in Ocotillo, then up the I-8 to In-Ko-Pah Road where we hopped on Old Highway 80 to Jacumba. I was crossing my fingers that Jay's BBQ would be open...and it was!  In no time flat, we were all elbows deep in ribs and chicken and pork and hot links.  Oh, man, was that good!  

When Bob asked for a to-go box, the owner said, "A box? What!?! I thought I saw motorcycles out there, not soccer mom minivans! Eat that food up!" Ha ha, busted.

We got back on the road by 1230 and made quick time of Highway 94.  Bob and Ken peeled off in Rancho San Diego; Devin and I split off at Spring Street and the 94.

A quick check of my GPS (boring tracks to follow) shows we did about 210 miles in 7 hours.

Thanks, guys...you made my last ride for a while a very fun and memorable one.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks like a great time, wish I could've joined you guys. 

Good luck with the surgery Dan, hopes it's only three months for ya. 

Boy. That did not take long to post. Ha ha. 

Dan I had a GREAT time. Loved the detour on to Engineer rd. Had not been on that road in years. What a great group to ride with. Thanks Devin, Ken and Dan. 

Got to watch out for those Kug-e-mons!

I used Rever on this ride and clocked 221 miles.

Dan I hope your surgery goes well and you recoup quickly so we can ride soon.

Ken, I am glad you are finally fully retired. 

7 minutes ago, ThumperBob said:

Hey, what was going on out there on 94 today?

I saw that. A whole slew of 5-0.  Mostly USBP, CHP and SO.

I thought it might have to do with the recent fires, but it might've been a training day.  

Very cool tracks, Bob. That's the Rever app.

Good time! Good to see y'all and put some miles on. Butterfield has a bubbler sprinkler on Tree's tree so it's doing well.

The cooling vest was the way to go and I'm going to order some of the sleeves Bob had. Made the desert very manageable - along with hydration of course.

3 minutes ago, TrophyHunter said:

Good time! Good to see y'all and put some miles on.

I'm still in awe of your mad Pokemon skills. How you scored that hard-to-find Kug-E-Mon is still amazing!

Good day of riding. Feels good to be back on dry land and see the sun again. And man was that some good BBQ! I got a personal best 40mpg out of the thunder pig too. I guess my carb tuning skills aren't so shabby. After 200+ miles in a day though it really makes me feel the need to invest in one of those Seat Concepts seats that everyone is taking about. It was really good meeting you fellers and good to see Ken get one step closer to Pokemon master. Keep at it Ken. Gotta catch 'em all

Looks like a nice ride with good folk. I am glad Tree's tree and plaque are still looking good.

The year before Tree died, I had the pleasure of riding the desert dash sweep with him. 

Nice Loop dudes, Sounds like a nice mix of bikes and terrain.  All the best with health Dan!  Ken, when I saw Engineers Rd. and Wynola on the loop, I was thinking how nice the Tiger would like that..... not the HD, is it "down the road" already? Regardless, certainly, a good outing!

That is a great route to get out, clear your head and take in the backcountry.  Hope your recovery goes well Diego.

MacD - The Tiger is sold, awaiting shipment, so it's out of play. While the 800 lbs of Road Kouch isn't the Tiger, it does just fine. As usual, only limited by it's pilot. :)

Great group, great ride, some food. Good send off for Dan and all the best with the surgery!