ericp

mandatory insurance for mexico travel required.

For all you people who don't know.....

Mexico now requires mexican insurance for all vehicles before traveling down there.

So looks like I'll be getting it from now on.

Sorry if this is already wide-spread common knowledge now, but I live under a rock and am not up to date on much. Heck, I just found out what UBER was about 9 months ago. Lol

Wow- that's huge.

I buy insurance for the liability- I worry.

Paid ~$25 for full coverage/$300K liability insurance on Sat. Worth it for peace of mind.

I've never traveled down there without purchasing mex insurance. If you are involved in a traffic collision down there without Mexican liability insurance, you can be arrested on the spot. And I don't know about others, but staying out of a Mexican jail is a high priority for me.

this is one company that supports the moto sport. they always sponsor Los Ancianos races. Ive been going through them for years now.

https://www.bajabound.com/

the easy thing is now i just hit renew and my last policy (the same as always) loads back up and pay with new dates added.

Yeah, BajaBound is cheap and easy. All sorts of options on their website.

I heard about it but ignored it this last weekend. About time I step up to the game considering we all complain about unlicensed drivers here in the states .

I bought an annual policy for my truck, which was only $100 more than what they charge for a week. I'll likely do the same for the bike.

For years I regularly search for the lowest cost and most reliable Mexican Insurance. I have found on many Mexican travel forums that most folks unanimously agree the best online insurance broker (btw, they are all brokers) is a Los Angeles based company called “Lewis and Lewis Insurance Agency”. They broker insurance for Mexico’s largest auto insurance company called “Qualitas”. Qualitas insures more vehicles in Mexico than any other insurance company. SCORE International (off road racing) recommends to their race teams to buy insurance from brokers that write for Qualitas. Most (but not all) border insurance shops write Qualitas as does most of the above mentioned in this post. One nice option is Qualitas will allow for USA repairs if vehicle is drivable (unlike many other Mex. Insurers which require Mex. repairs only). The only negative I have found for Lewis and Lewis Insurance Agency they only write for 12:00PM (noon) entry time so you will need to factor this for your purchases.

Another option is you can adjust your coverage limits and deductibles if you choose to do so online.

Here is a price sampling I pulled off their site today (only for Licensed Motorcycle’s):

Liability Only

1 day - $17.05

2 days - $22.09

3 days - $27.14

1 week - $47.32

6 months - $137.00

1 year - $162.00

Full Coverage to $9,999 (motorcycle value)

1 day - $20.70

2 days - $29.40

3 days - $38.10

1 week - $72.90

6 months - $234.00

1 year - $272.00

Lewis and Lewis Insurance Agency

No, I've not heard this- where'd you find it?

I was taking to my insurance guy and inquired about US auto coverage in Mexico for my DRZ and that's when he informed me of all this. The law is only about a year old, so it's still pretty new.

Great thread, thanks everyone.

Economic implications are huge. Be willing to bet the new law had the full support of the insurance industry.

Good thread indeed! Glad this helps. I was debating whether or not to post it up. I looked a few pages back and saw no mention of it.

If anyone knows of any changes or closures or whatever, be sure to help us folks out and post it up. I would hate to be unprepared in Baja for any reason.

Seemed fitting baja traveling warning

http://www.pikipiki.co.za/baja-travel-warning/

Awesome post BTW!!!!

I've never traveled down there without purchasing mex insurance. If you are involved in a traffic collision down there without Mexican liability insurance, you can be arrested on the spot. And I don't know about others, but staying out of a Mexican jail is a high priority for me.

+ 1.

I always heard that the insurance was a fallout of the napolianic method of law - guilty until proven innocent. So, if you are in a car accident they put everyone in jail until the whole thing is sorted out. Then the guilty pay and the innocent get to go about their lives. Insurance is basically your bond that THEY will pay if you are found guilty.

If I drive my truck/car I get insurance. On my bike I rationalize that I can't do much damage to others and mostly I'm in the boonies not anywhere where damage will get reported. So on my bike I routinely go without.

Ive been stopped twice going into Mexico at Tecate in the last 6 weeks. Checked for my registration and "searched". They never asked for insurance even the one time when my registration was expired. They did grill me about the expired registration to the point where if they were interested in insurance they would have asked.

Im not advocating any of the above. Just my .02.

---------------------

About 6 months ago I tried to get across the border with some pallets for a beach fire. Turned around at Tecate- can't bring in scrap wood. Tried TJ and then tried Otay. Same thing - no scrap wood. So, maybe things are tightening up down there.

DD

I agree dd i dont get it if i go in just on my bike. And yes you cant bring in scrap wood, building materials, gas or used tires plus many more im sure just dont know

Just back from two back to back weekends riding Baja.  Stopped twice and never asked for insurance papers.  I always purchase though on every trip (bajabound).  Wondering where this is coming from and if it's real but just not circulated to the peeps in the "field".  Cheers!

6 hours ago, NOMAD5326 said:

Just back from two back to back weekends riding Baja.  Stopped twice and never asked for insurance papers.  

Why'd you get stopped twice?